Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I know its early doors for the Arona but im planning on getting the Arona fr sport in the near future. I do a lot of driving in the lake district and Scotland in winter and was thinking about putting winter or all season tyres on it for winter use. I was wondering if anyone had tried all season or winter tyres on the Arona. I know the fr sport comes with 18 inch wheels and I tried quick fit for a quote and they do not supply 18 inch all season tyres so i will have to shop around. I would like to know if anyone has experience with driving an Arona with the above tyres and how did it perform.

Many Thanks
Carl :D

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've got the same model and was looking at all season but couldn't find any to fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most do not do 18 inch all weather tyres only ones I found was on E Bay they are maxxis all weather tyres delivery only. I checked they are suppose to be good in snow and ice. Good year only do up to 17 inch.

·
Registered
540 Posts
There are very few in size 215 / 45 R18 (Used on FR and Xcelence Lux)

Apparently can get Vredestein Quatrac 5 (all season)
No idea how good they are, but they did win an Auto Bild (German) test, might be other awards.

The only other all season I can find in that size are Maxxis AP2 and Kumho Solus (never heard of them before)

·
Registered
355 Posts
For the rim size you can usually go up and down a little on the width 225 - 215 - 205, the 18 inch rims are 7J
I think you can get Crossclimates+ in 225 45 R18.
Otherwise for up in Scotland and the Lakes I would suggest full winter tyres, second set, ether 16" Steels or 17" Alloys.
Most in germany switch over to winters, and use steel rims, Cheaper to replace if you curb it in the snow...
also cheaper outlay at the start.
I got CrossClimates on my Golf, 17" alloys as live down south, but go over to Germany few times a year, as used to Live out in Germany.
So got used to swapping over the wheels in October/November and switching back sometime After easter, weather dependent.
as the limited amount of all season tyres in 18" I Will be going for 16" Steels and full Winters this time.
Will still be a cost saving over the All season tyre costs.

try https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
good for calculating the tyre size and changes.
and try https://www.mytyres.co.uk
they have the Arona on the site and can look at a complete set of rims and tyres in one hit if going for Winters.
Also check out tyre reviews
this video gives good advise
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Whats-the-best-type-of-tyre-for-winter-2017.htm

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just bumping this thread up now that the weather is getting colder

Seems to be huge variation in prices, using the difficult to find 215 45 R18 size (the 18 inch wheel on some specs) and Vredestein Quatrac 5 all season as a marker, cheapest seems to be tyreleader at £128.69, there are a few companies around the £130 mark but others are charging £160+
So worth shopping around if you don't want summer rubber (which is less grippy) when temps below +7°c

However as my tyres are still virtually new, changing them already seems wasteful.
I guess the alternative is steel rims and winter tyres (but can you get both for under £130)

The supplier list for 18 inch all seasons has got wider, can add following to those on earlier posts

Kumho KU26 Ecsta XC
Nexen N Priz AH8
Hankook H436 kinergy GT (these might not be available in UK)

It also appears Amazon are selling Nexen N Priz AH8 all season tyres in this size for £83.43 (but with very long delivery times)
There is a company called Camskill that is showing these as 2 days at £70.75 (presumably unfitted)

Those with 17 inch wheels have lot more choice

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just picked up my Arona today so it's still on the standard rubber, but I've had Vredstein Quatrac 5 on my Skoda Kodiaq for a year and they've been great. Steep hills in 6" of fresh snow were no problem and they were fine during the summer heatwave too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hankook tyres what milage are people getting out of these tyres? They wouldn't have been my choice of tyres will change later to a different brand.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have just purchased a set of wheels and tyres for mine.

I have had these delivered already. Sprayed the rims Alloy Silver to Add further protection to them and look better in Alloy to Black.
These are: 16 inch Steel rims with 205/55/R16T Continental TS860 Full Winter Tyres.
55931723016__D1F44827-2AD6-47AF-B8D0-9C792B7C4BF5.JPG

Got a Second coat of Alloy Spray to do on the inside of the wheels and then they are ready to be fitted.

I plan to have the wheels changed over this month, as I am off to Germany again 1st November So have to have these tyres on the car before going.
Got these as a complete set from MyTyres.co.uk
You specify your make and model of car, and they fit the tyres and balance the wheels prior to sending out.
These ended up being 200£ less than changing the tyres to All Seasons.
Also its Cheaper to replace a Steel RIM than an Alloy if you ding the wheel.

Once the 18's are off these will be cleaned and have C5 Wheel Armour by GTechniq applied. and then stored for the Winter.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Nearly time to get the winter tyres and wheels on the car.
Will need them on before I go to Germany on 1st November.
Will take a photo of the car with them on.
and see what is does to the ride comfort. and will let you all know how I get on with them.
Could always fit some wheel covers later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Get a load of this!
I was all set to pull the trigger on a set of winter tyres on 16" steel rims for our FR Sport as we are heading over to the continent during the holidays.
Passing through Germany and Austria so no choice.
But my work colleague told me to check with my insurance company as using tyre sizes/alt rims that are not specified for the vehicle might invalidate my policy. I was confidently sceptical but it turns out he was right! I checked my insurer's website and sure enough, they only allow winter tyres of the exact same size as originals, in this case 215/45 18. I'm gobsmacked.
My insurer is General Accident. See link.
https://help.generalaccident.com/car-insurance/making-changes/how-do-i-change-my-policy-to-show-i-have-winter-tyres/
So you all might want to check with your insurance companies to make sure you haven't invalidated your policies.
I'm curious to hear if anyone else has this edict from their insurer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Dan,
What is your company's policy with regards to swapping out the alloys and original tyres and using an equivalent overall diameter steel rim/winter tyre combo? I was looking at swapping the 215/45 R18 set for set of steel rims with 205/60 R16. It's what the a lot of Germans do and for that matter Highlanders on this island!
I can put winter tyres on no problem, it's just that they have to be the same size as originals and presumably on the original alloy rims.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The spare wheel is a 16inch rim not an 18inch rim.
SEAT specifies that 205/55 or 205/60 R16 can be used.
This is for Winter tyres and well as for the Spare tyre.
the profile changes the rolling circumference, /55 or /60 will have a different rolling circumference then the /45 R18 tyres, this is due to the amount of give in the side wall, so the higher the side wall the more it will give.

/45 R18 HAS A ROLLING CIR: 2048
/55 R16 HAS A ROLLING CIR: 1984 -2.7% SO AT 30MPH = 29.2MPH
/60 R16 HAS A ROLLING CIR: 2050 +0.4% SO AT 30MPH = 30.1MPH

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator

My Winter wheels and tyres where shipped over from Germany.

I am with Direct line ins, and they have in the ins info that they do not need to know about winter tyres if fitted.
As during the winter period it is generally safer for you and the car with them ON.
and if you are going to Germany and Austria it is a Legal requirement that you have Winter tyres fitted.
The Austrian will refuse you entry into the country if you do not have the right tyres fitted.
If you are check at the boarder.

If you have an accident whilst in Austria or Germany during the Winter months and you have summer tyres fitted, then you are automatically at fault. and they can prosecute you as well for knowingly endangering other road users as your car is not compliant to German road laws.

I lived in Germany for 11 years, and I travel across 2-4 times a year, and a friend of mine was refused entry into Austria, and he was fined.
Also make sure that if you are going into the German city that you have an Umweltplacket (Emissions Sticker) displayed in your windscreen. This is for the Euro emission zones in German cities.
90% now require you to have a Green Umweltplacket, if you don't this is also a fineable offence.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Gazza B,
As I mentioned in my previous post, my insurance company doesn't need to know if I put winter tyres on. I just can't change the wheels, they're very clear on that point. So I'm resigned to the fact that I'll just have to put some 215/45 R18 winter tyres on the original alloys. There are a few to choose from.

That said, would you kindly direct me to the link or page of the Arona manual where Seat specifies those wheel/tyre combinations you mention? If I can present some sort of official document from Seat to my ins. co. I might be able to get them to sign off on smaller steel rims.

Cheers for that emission sticker info, going to look into that now as well.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Tyre sizes available for
SEAT Arona 1.0 TSI 115 (Since 2017)
Since 2017
205 55 R16 91 V
205 60 R16 92 H
195 60 R16 89 H
205 55 R17 91 V
215 45 R18 89 V
Season
Summer and all season tyres
Winter and snow tyres

SEAT CC will be able to send you the official information an tyre sizes suitable for your model.
Ask them to email you the min/max tyre sizes.
Then this letter from SEAT will be personalised to you, So you can Send it to your Insurance company.

Ive never hear of them saying you cannot change the wheels.
So if you have a puncture and fit the R16 Spare and have an accident, Effectively you are not covered in the respect to your insurance?
as that is a change of wheel?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The spare wheel wouldn't be an issue as it came with the car. There is a reduced speed advisory on it and it goes without saying that you should get the full sized tyre/wheel fixed and back on ASAP.
Thanks for your advice but will go with a set of the full sized winters. Trip is only a month away so no time to try to get an agreement that might never come.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Have recently put a pair of Bridgestone A005 all seasons on our other car, a Skoda, and initial impressions are very good, obviously too early to give a review in snow.

Just wanted to let others know, so anyone considering all seasons has more review info
Currently available for those with 17 inch wheels

A005 are all seasons, do not confuse with T005 which are summer tyres (but only about 10% cheaper)

·
Registered
540 Posts
I had a colleague at work the other day, saying why did you buy an Arona, doesn't have 4 wheel drive, which you might need in the winter. I then showed him this, to prove 4wd is only as good as the tyres you choose.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Winter tyres even with no snow in icy mornings are better than summer tyres.
See the end of this video.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts