Seat Arona Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
GazzaB said:
Winter tyres even with no snow in icy mornings are better than summer tyres.
See the end of this video.
The Pirelli Cinturato P7 summer tyres that came with the car are rubbish in cold rain, twice I have spun (scrabbling for grip) the wheels pulling out of side turnings in recent cold weather, didn't even know it was possible in a 1 litre auto without using sport mode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Had a set of Vredestein Wintrac Pros put on to the original 18" alloys a couple of weeks ago.
As the weather hasn't been too bad in SE London, I've not been able to gauge their usefulness yet. What I will say is that they are surprisingly smooth riding and not significantly noisier than the Pirelli summers.
Will be driving to Hungary and back over the holidays so will undoubtedly find some proper winter conditions at some point and get a better idea of their performance then. In fact we are staying at a house at the top of a steep road that doesn't get gritted! Gulp!
Will report my findings after we get back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Follow up, if anyone's interested.
I could not be more pleased with the Vredestein winter tyres. Drove through heavy flurries which settled on motorway in Austria and these tracked through as if it wasn't there.
Also found myself doing 150kph in Germany in dry conditions a couple of times and no vibration or excessive noise to report. They'll stay on until spring!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Ive got Continental TS860 Winters on mine.
Great even when the temp is a bit warmer.
But the other day on way the work, it was -2, booted around a bend and it gripped great the car behind tried to follow and saw him on the other side of the road sliding. So the grip is so much better than on summers. will always have winters for the car. After living in Germany for 11 years I know they work.
Seem to just work in all the weather - except we've not had any snow so not had a chance to try them.
Im off to Germany in March, so maybe still some Snow around, and maybe we will get some before then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
GazzaB said:
Ive got Continental TS860 Winters on mine.
Great even when the temp is a bit warmer.
But the other day on way the work, it was -2, booted around a bend and it gripped great the car behind tried to follow and saw him on the other side of the road sliding. So the grip is so much better than on summers. will always have winters for the car. After living in Germany for 11 years I know they work.
Seem to just work in all the weather - except we've not had any snow so not had a chance to try them.
Im off to Germany in March, so maybe still some Snow around, and maybe we will get some before then.
Hi GazzaB, Did you buy new rims (and what size, make and from who ?), as the TS860 have quite a limited set of tyre sizes.

Seriously wondering about getting a set, as have to drive to near Paris in mid Feb and have just seen the bitter cold and snowy weather update starting last week of Jan and into Feb due to split polar vortex. Even looks like serious snow in Surrey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
I got the complete wheel and tyre package from my tyres
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/skw.pl?dsco=110&s_p=Steel_wheels&sowigan=Wi&Hersteller=Seat&PKWtyp=ARONA+1.0+TSI&PKWtypgenau=%3A452810%3A%3A999%3A85%3A201707%3A++++++%3A57.00%3A100.00%3A5%3AKJ++++++++++++++++++%3A%3AO%3AE9*2007%2F46*3134*..++

The link will take to to the SEAT Arona page (1.0 115PS) version.

Have a look, the wheels and tyres come complete, fitted and balanced ready to fit to the car.
These are 16inch Steel rims.
I have 205/55/R16 T on mine and it is fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
i am taking delivery of an arona se tech lux on march 1st. at present i have steel wheels and winter tyres fitted to my skoda yeti. the dealer assures me that the wheels although smaller than 17" will fit as they are a common vag hub size. hope this post makes sense. cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Drewsieboy said:
i am taking delivery of an arona se tech lux on march 1st. at present i have steel wheels and winter tyres fitted to my skoda yeti. the dealer assures me that the wheels although smaller than 17" will fit as they are a common vag hub size. hope this post makes sense. cheers.
I think the dealer has got this wrong, the Yeti uses 5 bolt with 112mm diameter bolt spacing, the Arona is 5 x 100 as it's a smaller car

Might need to get new rims with the smaller bolt pattern, although for misleading you I would suggest the dealership pays to transfer the tyres to the new rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
GazzaB said:
I got the complete wheel and tyre package from my tyres
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/skw.pl?dsco=110&s_p=Steel_wheels&sowigan=Wi&Hersteller=Seat&PKWtyp=ARONA+1.0+TSI&PKWtypgenau=%3A452810%3A%3A999%3A85%3A201707%3A++++++%3A57.00%3A100.00%3A5%3AKJ++++++++++++++++++%3A%3AO%3AE9*2007%2F46*3134*..++

The link will take to to the SEAT Arona page (1.0 115PS) version.

Have a look, the wheels and tyres come complete, fitted and balanced ready to fit to the car.
These are 16inch Steel rims.
I have 205/55/R16 T on mine and it is fine.
Sorry GazzaB but according to the information I have the size 205/55/R16 is not fully appropriate for Arona. The difference compared to the OEM size 205/60/R16 is more then 3%. Ideally it should not exceed 2-2.5%. Continental TS 860 is also available in the OEM size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
DO YOU KNOW I DON'T GIVE A DAMM.
AS THEY WORK FINE AND HAVE HAD NO ISSUES.
THE ONLY THING YOU WILL FIND ON THAT IS THE SPEED IS DECREASED DUE TO THE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE WHEEL.
AND AS I WAS GETTING AVERAGE OF 52MPG ON THOSE TYRES AND NOW ON THE 215/45/R18 IM ONLY GETTING 43MPG.
AND THE OEM TYRES ON MINE ARE R18.
THE SPARE WHEEL I GOT FROM SEAT IS A 205/55/R16
GO FIGURE THAT ONE.
BYE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
GazzaB said:
DO YOU KNOW I DON'T GIVE A DAMM.
AS THEY WORK FINE AND HAVE HAD NO ISSUES.
THE ONLY THING YOU WILL FIND ON THAT IS THE SPEED IS DECREASED DUE TO THE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE WHEEL.
AND AS I WAS GETTING AVERAGE OF 52MPG ON THOSE TYRES AND NOW ON THE 215/45/R18 IM ONLY GETTING 43MPG.
AND THE OEM TYRES ON MINE ARE R18.
THE SPARE WHEEL I GOT FROM SEAT IS A 205/55/R16
GO FIGURE THAT ONE.
BYE.
Sorry to see your issue with your keyboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Snowdaddy said:
There are very few in size 215 / 45 R18 (Used on FR and Xcelence Lux)

Apparently can get Vredestein Quatrac 5 (all season)
No idea how good they are, but they did win an Auto Bild (German) test, might be other awards.

The only other all season I can find in that size are Maxxis AP2 and Kumho Solus (never heard of them before)
I believe the Vredestein Quatrac 5 is now the only all season tyre that fits the 18 inch wheel on Arona, as the Maxxis UK website no longer lists the AP2 in the 215 / 45 R18 size

For those wanting winter tyres, unless you buy new Rims in one of the smaller sizes listed for the Arona, stuck with limited choice (and many of those are old designs superseded in common sizes).

Much easier for those with 16 or 17 inch rims as quite a wide choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
There's a huge selection of All Season tyres available in 225/40r18 and the difference in speedo accuracy is only 2 percent. Having checked 7J rims are ok for this width. I fail to see a downside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Pjldecor said:
Do people change all 4 wheels to winter tyres or just the front drive wheels ?
Should change all 4 (not mix summer and winter)

Although no one will openly say so (in case of accident), seems to be common practice to have just 2 all seasons, with 2 summer tyres on the back. Debatable if this is any less safe than mixing 2 new summer tyres and 2 worn summer tyres, where tread depths are all different, (but a lot more safe than having a mix of 4 different types of budget tyres which some people do)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I fully endorse fitting winter/all season tyres to both axles. The perceived wisdom seems to be that if you must fit to only one axle it should always be to the back. The rationale being to minimize risk of oversteer in slippery conditions which is considered more dangerous than a lack of traction on the front (assuming FWD of course). The recommendation holds good for both FWD and RWD cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
armd02 said:
There's a huge selection of All Season tyres available in 225/40r18 and the difference in speedo accuracy is only 2 percent. Having checked 7J rims are ok for this width. I fail to see a downside.
The main downside is 40 profile, if you live in parts of the country with some pretty poor road surfaces going to get a worse ride. And it's not an authorised size so needs to be declared to your insurance as non standard modification.

Seat UK has chosen to fit a rare wheel and tyre size, other European countries get more choice, and these are the 5 certified options (for the petrol 115 version)
205 / 55 R16 91V
205 / 60 R16 92H
195 / 60 R16 89H
205 / 55 R17 91V
215 / 45 R18 89V

Rim sizes of 16, 17 or 18 inch,
Load rating 89 is 580Kg and 92 is 630kg, others between, but having a higher rating is ok
Speed rating letter H is 130mph, V is 149mph, going higher (W, Y) is ok

The 18 inch rims also seem to get obsolete designs, eg Michelin Alpin 6 available for 17 inch, but older Alpin 4s for 18 inch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I agree with all the feedback on 18 inch 40 profile tyres. I have purchased 225/40r18 92Y all seasons tyres and will advise my insurers prior to fitting some time in November. If they have a problem with that minor change I am sure I can find an alternative insurer. Tyres are the new Vredestein Quatrac Pro.
 
21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Top