Seat Arona Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm going for this set, I think.
Like the Borbet Y wheel in titanium grey , know the tire is fabulous and also from Holland....
Here is a screendump...

Winterwielen.jpg

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've got my winterwheels.
I think I 'll wait until the temperature drops to 7..10 degrees C

·
Registered
549 Posts
I like the look of those Borbet Y rims
Strangely Giga Tyres doesn't appear to sell them in UK

·
Registered
280 Posts
I didn't get them @ gigatyres... sold out, but got them elsewhere...
Don't get fooled, when ordered right, the OEM bolts can be re-used for this rim,
The guy who sold me these rims, sold me 20 coneshaped bolts...
cone.jpg

not the rounded ones.
Rond.jpg

Anyone interested in 20 M12 coneshaped bolts ??? :?

·
Registered
280 Posts
2019-11-01 19.18.11 kleiner.jpg

Got my centercap stickers for the winterwheels

·
Registered
549 Posts
Have a bit of a dilemma, wondered what others thoughts are

my Arona is now 15 months old and done 13-14k Miles.

I either pay £20 and swap current wheels front-back to even out the wear, expecting to change to all seasons around 27-33k miles (but likely to then wear out Spring 2021 which seems silly time to be fitting all seasons.

Or I spend about £700 on winter alloys and winter tyres, which with the biannual swap should see car through to 60k miles

The all seasons would save the hassle of changing, but only decent ones available in 215 / 45 R18 are Vredestein Quatrac 5 and full set is going to be about £600 fitted

Last winter was mild (although seasonal predictions for this winter are a lot worse), and last year I managed with the Pirelli P7s (the summer tyre it came with), but there were a few occasions with scrabbling tyres when wet (P7s are poor in very cold rain and sleet).

The safety part of me says don't risk another winter with summer tyres (especially ones that are poor when it's cold), the lazy part of me says it's too much hassle to swap every 6 months, but the financial side of me says why buy all seasons now when existing tyres only half worn.

My regular commute is mainly A roads, (with about 2 miles on winding rural section through trees) these roads are salted (but that does mean they can be -5c and damp) snow not normally a problem, but cold weather grip becomes important, a few people have slid off on the winding section (and I would rather avoid doing that), hence why doing nothing is my least preferred option

What would others do ?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just got me borbet Y alloys with Vredestein Snowtrack 205/60/16

2019-11-02 16.27.10.jpg

·
Registered
549 Posts
Was looking at getting all seasons, and prices have been fluctuating, but many websites no longer offering 215 / 45 R18 all seasons as apparently virtually sold out in UK

Good one Seat, fit 18 inch wheels with a tyre size that is likely to be unavailable in a tyre suitable for UK climate.

Might have to be winter wheels and 205 / 60 R16 winter tyres as only choice (or risk dumping car and walking if a dusting of snow), which looks likely this winter, seeing as weather pattern this year is like those mid 1980s snowy winters

·
Registered
280 Posts
A few clicks and found enough tires for your car.
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s=1/winter/t=1/car/r=1/215-45-r18
Go with a A-brand like Bridgestone ,Pirelli, Michelin or Dunlop, (good Availability) wintertires

When you want all seasons, way less choice, but available
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s=2/winter,all-season/t=1/car/r=1/215-45-r18

·
Registered
11 Posts
After much investigation I found that 18" 225/40 profile tyres are NOT recommended for 7" rims though 45 profile are ok. Ended up selling my brand new Quatrac Pro tyres to my brother in law for what I paid and back to square one. Have now fitted 215/45r18 Nexen Winguard Sport 2 winter tyres which I will run all year round. I don't do enough miles to merit changing over. The new tyres are very quiet compared to the Hankooks I had on previously.

·
Registered
549 Posts
By chance I found out Seat have winter catalog, which has the part numbers

https://www.seat.de/content/dam/countries/de/seat-website/download/pdf/service/winterangebote/SSOWinter19_20_WKRKatalog_SEAT_interaktiv_v05_100.pdf

https://www.seat.at/media/Kwc_Basic_DownloadTag_Component/6382-41628-button-linkTag-child/default/303e29e6/1572359945/seat-wkr-10-2019.pdf

·
Registered
549 Posts
Snowdaddy said:
Was looking at getting all seasons, and prices have been fluctuating, but many websites no longer offering 215 / 45 R18 all seasons as apparently virtually sold out in UK

Good one Seat, fit 18 inch wheels with a tyre size that is likely to be unavailable in a tyre suitable for UK climate.

Might have to be winter wheels and 205 / 60 R16 winter tyres as only choice (or risk dumping car and walking if a dusting of snow), which looks likely this winter, seeing as weather pattern this year is like those mid 1980s snowy winters
I have now ordered winter wheels and tyres (complete), just got to wait for them to be made up and sent to me.
Went for Borbet Y (like Lampie) but with Goodyear ultragrip 9+ in size 205/60 R16
Opted for a company called Reifen in Germany (only €20 delivery to UK for 4 wheels)

In the end I decided the very limited choice of all seasons in 215/45 R18 (and it was going to be about £620) wasn't good value as the Pirelli P7 summer tyres all have over 5mm tread after 13500 miles. Lot to pay for a compromise.

Although capital cost is £700, I expect to be able to use them for at least 5 years and should find the car is more sure footed in the colder weather (although changing the wheels twice a year is not as convenient). My commute includes one slight hill where water always seem to run off adjacent land and can be bad when it is frosty. I have noticed this rural part is often 2c - 2.5c colder than Kingston so more likely to be icy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

Thank you for posting the links to the German Winter options, I found it quite useful to see what there is on offer for my Arona :)

That said, I've also bitten the bullet and ordered some steel rims with 205/60R16 from mytyres, now only hoping that DPD manage to find the other 25% of my wheel set which apparently is on the other side of the country in Cardiff for some reason lol

I do have a question though, I'm finding it difficult to find out what the tyre pressures should be for these wheels on a SE Tech Lux 1.6TDI (95kW) ? Does anyone have a link or a reference somewhere ? The sticker on the car is only relevant it seems for the 17" Hankooks that were supplied with the vehicle

Cheers for any help
Nick
:)

PS : Glad I found this forum and hope I can be of help

·
Registered
549 Posts
Winter tyres normally 0.2 bar above the 30c summer tyre pressure

From memory all tyre sizes and specs are 2.6 bar front, 2.4 bar rear, so try 2.7 2.6 bar
which converts to about 38 & 35 psi summer (try 39 front, 36psi rear for winter),
but if carrying 5 people + luggage then rear should be up nearer 39-40psi

·
Registered
549 Posts
Good video explaining summer vs all season vs winter tyres and how temperature affects braking distance

Seems summer tyres are worse below +10c in wet (or damp) roads, but as good down to about +4c when dry
so the old rule of thumb of summer tyres are worse below +7c is valid

Just so annoying that Seat UK makes it so hard to be safe by specifying stupid wheel/tyre sizes (on FR Sport and Xcelence Lux) with so little choice of tyres appropriate for UK weather. We get months of wet weather below +10c

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Summer-All-Season-and-Winter-Tyres-Tested-at-0c-15c.htm

In the colder weather last week every road with salt seemed to stay damp, so summer tyres remained a liability,
so why are Seat UK so against supplying cars to UK with all season tyres ?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Fitted new winter wheels,
Borbet Y Titan Matt rims with Goodyear ultra grip 9+ tyres. 205/60 R16 92H

Took a bit of a punt on the tyres as new design (only released in June), but the ultragrip9 got good reviews and this was said to improve on wet and snow performance

Hopefully won't slide the car again, as I accidentally did on a frosty morning where rain run off from a verge had formed ice across the road

Looking forward to some snow and being able to wizz past some big 4x4s on summer tyres

·
Registered
549 Posts
Having fitted my Arona with winter wheels this year, the winter has been unseasonably mild.

However, back to frost and ice (and locally there are places where field runoff and leaky water mains is causing huge ice patches). Car has been amazingly sure footed.

Best bit (perhaps this is cruel) is when somebody driving some expensive car (and lots of >£50k cars in NW Surrey) follows you and skids around on the ice and you watch it in mirror. Luckily no one has crashed behind yet, but does make you realise that driving on summer tyres in icy weather is dangerous.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts