Seat Arona Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
For those with 18 inch wheels, have been advised that there is more choice of all season tyres now. They tend to be cheaper if ordered now as prices often go up in Autumn as temperatures fall.

In addition to Vredestein Quatrac 5 and Maxxis AP2, (Which was last years limited choice) can now get Continental all season contact and Vredestein Quatrac Pro in 215 / 45 R18 tyre size.

The Maxxis AP3 is now also available (quieter, and better than discontinued AP2)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Snowdaddy said:
For those with 18 inch wheels, have been advised that there is more choice of all season tyres now. They tend to be cheaper if ordered now as prices often go up in Autumn as temperatures fall.

In addition to Vredestein Quatrac 5 and Maxxis AP2, (Which was last years limited choice) can now get Continental all season contact and Vredestein Quatrac Pro in 215 / 45 R18 tyre size.

The Maxxis AP3 is now also available (quieter, and better than discontinued AP2)
Thought I would bump this thread as now September, when it's usually good time to order, as demand goes up by late October, and prices therefore jump.

Those with 17 inch wheels have lots of choice of tyres.

For those who aren't aware, new cars come with summer tyres (cheaper), but these are not best choice for UK as they are poor in colder weather, generally winter tyres are considered better below +7c (actually nearer +9c in wet, +5c in dry). Everyone knows UK gets cold rain so driving with summer tyres in winter can be iffy. Winter tyres are good upto about +15c

All season tyres are a relatively recent innovation (they were rare even 5 years ago). But better suited to UK (work best from about -5c to about +25c), they won't be as great on rare summer days of 30c, but much better on chilly autumn mornings and all winter. However they are obviously not as good at getting you up a snowy hill as a pure winter tyre. (But if you live where there are steep hills you will already know you need seasonal tyres).

So if you want to stay safe in colder months, swap the summer tyres for either all season (which you can use all year), or buy a dedicated winter set and swap wheels Oct-Nov and Mar-Apr (more hassle, but better if you drive in hills, or over the moors etc).

If it does snow, a front wheel drive car on winter (and most all season) will still get you moving, unlike a 4x4 on summer tyres that you can merrily drive past whilst they are stuck.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Dnlbwl5 said:
i know costco do deals on tyres cross climate the full range i am sure, mrs has a karoq and hers are 18 inch i know they do them as we looked i am sure they are Michelin cross climate
Can get crossclimate+ for 17 inch wheels with Arona tyre sizes
They are available in 18 inch, but not Arona size 215/45 R18 89V

The 89 is a load (based on weight, & cornering force) rating, so going bit higher is ok
V is a speed rating, 240km/h (149mph), but H, W, Y not a problem, as all faster than it will go

·
Registered
548 Posts
Put the winter wheels back on last weekend
(Borbet Y rims with Goodyear Ultragrip 9+ tyres)

Second morning of frost here, and they do work as had to do emergency stop on icy part of the road this morning as some other nutter was in middle of road coming other way trying to avoid iced over puddles. Would probably have been in ditch if it had still been on 18 inch summer tyres

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just been out to local farm shop, which meant some rural roads, weather here is foggy, temperatures varying between -0.5c and +1c

Realised how good winter tyres are as car stuck to road like it was dry, even though there was visible frost on road.

Highly recommend Goodyear Ultragrip 9+ if anyone needs a recommendation

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just switched from the summer tyres, to winter tyres, ahead of the colder, wet weather
They are on 16 inch rims, unlike the summer tyres on 18 inch rims.
Takes me about 40-50 minutes to do job at home.

Much better grip when temperature is below about +10c, especially when wet, or damp. Much better on salted roads too. And can drive up and down hills on rare occasions it snows

My Arona has done 31k miles and at current wear rates should be 60k - 70k miles before I need more new tyres, so buying a set of winter wheels has worked out good value. Still plenty of tread and this is third year they have been on.

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts

Quick update for those with 18 inch wheels looking for all season tyres
Can now get Hankook kinergy 4S2 (which have won German Allrad comparison test)

Only others available in required rare size are :
Continental all season contact, Vredestein Quattrac Pro, Maxxis Premita all season AP3, Minerva all season master, and Goodride all season.

For those with 17 inch wheels, with standard size tyres, there is huge choice
and new Michelin cross climate 2 seems to be getting brilliant reviews

·
Registered
548 Posts
I was all set to pull the trigger on a set of winter tyres on 16" steel rims for our FR Sport as we are heading over to the continent during the holidays.
They are not just for Continental driving, are better when temperature is below about +7c (actually it’s about +10c in wet, +4c in dry). But they of course work during warmer interludes, say +15c

Don’t let anyone mislead you that you only need them in snow, there is separate category, Nordic tyres, which are designed for areas that have months of snow and very cold temperatures

61 - 74 of 74 Posts