Strange noises

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Arona
Stringaa

Strange noises

Post by Stringaa » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:37 am

So I’ve had the car coming up to a year now and recently I’ve noticed strange noises...

The first seems to come from the front passenger side and happens at low speed and when turning corners, sounds like a ball bearing rolling around!

Now there’s also what sounds like a dull knocking sound that seems to come from the drivers front side, I think it happens most under braking but need to test it a bit more.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? And if they have do you have any idea what it could be? It’s due for its first service shortly so will mention it then.

Snowdaddy

Re: Strange noises

Post by Snowdaddy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:38 am

First one, when turning corner sounds like a faulty joint in the driveshaft, although could be a damaged tyre.

Second one is harder, uneven sounds under braking are usually warped discs, normally caused by keeping brake pedal pressed for ages after heavy braking causing hotspots. Usually happens to autos if kept in gear whilst stationary for a while (such as at very slow traffic lights) just after heavy use of brakes.

Might be as simple as dry components that need lubricating, sometimes salted roads in winter cause surface corrosion.
Arona Xcelence Lux 115 tsi DSG monsoon grey with orange roof, leather and alcantara interior. Also have a Skoda Roomster.

number6

Post by number6 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:53 am

Stringaa wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:37 am
So I’ve had the car coming up to a year now and recently I’ve noticed strange noises...

The first seems to come from the front passenger side and happens at low speed and when turning corners, sounds like a ball bearing rolling around!

Now there’s also what sounds like a dull knocking sound that seems to come from the drivers front side, I think it happens most under braking but need to test it a bit more.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? And if they have do you have any idea what it could be? It’s due for its first service shortly so will mention it then.
I had exactly the same 'ball bearing' sound on my last car (Ford Bmax). It was a locking wheel nut key rolling around in the spare wheel well.

BenC

Post by BenC » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:21 pm

Mine is booked in for this Wednesday to diagnose a loud clicking noise coming from the front seats when moving off or cornering.

I will let you know how it goes.
2019 (19) Arona Xcellence Lux 1.0L 115PS Petrol DSG - Eclipse Orange with Grey Roof.

BenC

Post by BenC » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:41 pm

Just an update on my previous post. The Arona went in today for the clicking noise coming from both front seats. They have confirmed they can hear it but have been unable to fix it (after having the car for 3+ hours).

They will now be arranging to replace both front seats (or at the very least, the bases/frames). Apparently, because of the high costs involved, they require approval from SEAT before they can order the parts.

Rather worryingly, they seemed quite cagey when I asked about timeframes. I suspect, because the Arona is selling so well, there won’t be any spare seat bases/frames available, meaning a long back-order... 🙁

They are also replacing a door panel that wasn’t installed correctly at the factory. It’s a brilliant car, but they seriously need to sort out these build quality issues.
2019 (19) Arona Xcellence Lux 1.0L 115PS Petrol DSG - Eclipse Orange with Grey Roof.

Ammcn

Post by Ammcn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:13 pm

My car has been in the car dealership for 10 weeks today awaiting a Software update as i encountered these rattling noises.
They say it is a Characteristic of the model- they wont classify it as a fault.
My car was only 3 months old when it was leftin
I have no faith in Seat to rectify this matter.
Am spending my days arguing between dealership, Financial services and Seat as no one is taking responsibility for the problem. And i want to get out of the contract.
Any ideas anyone?
AM

BenC

Post by BenC » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Ammcn wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:13 pm
My car has been in the car dealership for 10 weeks today awaiting a Software update as i encountered these rattling noises.
They say it is a Characteristic of the model- they wont classify it as a fault.
My car was only 3 months old when it was leftin
I have no faith in Seat to rectify this matter.
Am spending my days arguing between dealership, Financial services and Seat as no one is taking responsibility for the problem. And i want to get out of the contract.
Any ideas anyone?
AM
Sounds like a very frustrating situation. I don't see how a rattle can be characteristic of any car model...

If the dealership, SEAT and the finance provider are all refusing to help you, there isn't much left to do (apart from instructing a solicitor). One thing you absolutely shouldn't do is stop paying the finance, it won't help your case and will just ruin your credit file.

Are you in the UK? Perhaps contact some motoring journalists, HonestJohn and AutoExpress would be a good start.

Hope you manage to resolve the situation soon. It sounds terrible.

theforestdweller

Post by theforestdweller » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:22 pm

Ammcn wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:13 pm

Any ideas anyone?
https://www.ombudsman-services.org/

The Ombudsman service is free :) . I have used them, not car related, but for dispute over cancelled holiday. I received an excellent service with all monies I claimed I was owed paid with interest by the disputing insurance company.
Arona FR Sport 1.0 115ps - Arrived 05.03.2019

When the experts are agreed, the opposite opinion cannot be held to be certain (Bertrand Russell)

BenC

Post by BenC » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:13 am

BenC wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:41 pm
Just an update on my previous post. The Arona went in today for the clicking noise coming from both front seats. They have confirmed they can hear it but have been unable to fix it (after having the car for 3+ hours).

They will now be arranging to replace both front seats (or at the very least, the bases/frames). Apparently, because of the high costs involved, they require approval from SEAT before they can order the parts.

Rather worryingly, they seemed quite cagey when I asked about timeframes. I suspect, because the Arona is selling so well, there won’t be any spare seat bases/frames available, meaning a long back-order... 🙁

They are also replacing a door panel that wasn’t installed correctly at the factory. It’s a brilliant car, but they seriously need to sort out these build quality issues.
Just an update on my earlier post in April. SEAT approved the warranty claim and the parts finally arrived (6 weeks on back-order). They will be rebuilding both front seats today, in the hope that it will fix the clicking noise. They said that £1000+ just in parts are needed for the rebuild (plus a day of labour). I'm very glad that SEAT didn't resist the warranty claim!

They will also be replacing a door panel that was very badly installed by the factory (completely misaligned).

So far the service level has been fantastic, but I could very well have a different opinion by the end of today.

I will post another update this evening. :)

BenC

Post by BenC » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:50 pm

BenC wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:13 am
BenC wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:41 pm

Just an update on my earlier post in April. SEAT approved the warranty claim and the parts finally arrived (6 weeks on back-order). They will be rebuilding both front seats today, in the hope that it will fix the clicking noise. They said that £1000+ just in parts are needed for the rebuild (plus a day of labour). I'm very glad that SEAT didn't resist the warranty claim!

They will also be replacing a door panel that was very badly installed by the factory (completely misaligned).

So far the service level has been fantastic, but I could very well have a different opinion by the end of today.

I will post another update this evening. :)
The car has now been returned and is fixed (took a little longer than expected). Very good service overall. :)

Return to “Faults & Technical”