Seat Arona Forum banner

Hand Brake on SE

24K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Uncletone 
#1 ·
Hi All
Only had this two week and my partner is unhappy with handbrake not holding says it rolled forward on a hill . I have no problem but on checking it seems the handbrake has to move four notches before holding and its all or nothing .
But if I pull it hard on she cant get it off.

Dropped it off at dealers this morning for them to check it

On checking there was a handbrake issue with some Ibiza's will update
UPDATE
Dealer has adjusted it and says it set to the standard settings that Seat recommend four Notches it was two notches out ? as I said its been mentioned on the Ibiza forums the adjusting nut under the arm rest can come loose

#5 ·
johnny b said:
Handbrake problms on mine as well after 2000miles +rolls back on slight gradient when fully up, to be booked in ASAP . SE Tech First edition 1litre.
Even though mine was reset I am still aware of the rolling back issue it's a all or nothing handbrake and I wonder if its due to the SE having Drum Brakes

#9 ·
Car has been back to dealer three times now, on last visit I was told that the steel cable of handbrake was catching on outer nylon sleeve. We were not happy when dealer said this wasn't a fault covered by warranty ,have complained to Seat about this await there reply sounds from comments not the only case like mine on Red/slate roof 1 Ltd SE Tech

#13 ·
Arona back from Dealer.

New handbrake lever ordered as a result of today's investigation. Interesting!!

Let's see what happens when fitted.

Incidently the Ibiza courtesy car had same fault (reported). Showroom - Arona perfect

Also seat belt recall done.

Keep you all posted.

Keith

FR Sport

#15 ·
Had my xcellence a couple of weeks now and also not happy with the handbrake. It does hold eventually if you haul it up but there is too much potential to roll, especially as we live in Devon and have a lot of hills. My wife struggles most due to the force needed. I'll get it checked at my local Seat dealer in Exeter and will advise any outcome. Handbrakes on drums have been going since Noah was a boy, shouldn't be getting basic issues like this.

#16 ·
I remember that years ago when you brought a new car, that is used to go in to the Garage after the first 1000miles for a service check.
This was part of buying the new car. They used to check all of these points brakes and oil etc. and make sure all was tight and readjusted as needed.
This is because after the first 1000-2000 miles parts could become loose.
But we do not have this anymore. As nothing is meant to come loose anymore... (YEP RIGHT)
So increasingly seeing more and more new cars having issues with things slipping and becoming loose which Garages are increasingly denying.
Which is causing more frustration to motorists.
Maybe going back to the Old 1000mile new car check is not a bad Idea..

Also we hope that the training of the technicians is better, but in some cases I am not so sure.
I did a 4 year apprenticeship before we were allowed to go it alone. (Mechanical and Electronics Engineering) now a lot of people do a 2-4 week course. and claim they know just as much in that short time compared to 4 years.. (And Ive not stopped learning in the last 30 years).

#17 ·
We have our Arona through a Green Car scheme via Lease Provider. We have had it for 3 months and noticed the handbrake was very dodgy. Unfortunately my wife went swimming one night and returned to the car park to find the car no longer there. It rolled away across the car park into a hedge and smashed the front damaging the sensors. It is a minor miracle that it didn't smash into another car or person. We have told the providers all about the issue and they sent it to Seat. We had it inspected by Kwik Fit ourselves who said in there opinion the Handbrake was dodgy. Seat of course have said there is no issue with the handbrake! We are left having to pay for the damage and we still have concerns when we get it back (its been over 2 weeks!). Its a disgrace.

#18 ·
stemiller78 said:
We have our Arona through a Green Car scheme via Lease Provider. We have had it for 3 months and noticed the handbrake was very dodgy. Unfortunately my wife went swimming one night and returned to the car park to find the car no longer there. It rolled away across the car park into a hedge and smashed the front damaging the sensors. It is a minor miracle that it didn't smash into another car or person. We have told the providers all about the issue and they sent it to Seat. We had it inspected by Kwik Fit ourselves who said in there opinion the Handbrake was dodgy. Seat of course have said there is no issue with the handbrake! We are left having to pay for the damage and we still have concerns when we get it back (its been over 2 weeks!). Its a disgrace.
My Arona SE was the same always left it gear as could not trust the handbrake

#20 ·
Just come back to my se lux 115tdi to find it had run away down a hill despite handbrake being applied,and has hit a building causing extensive damage to the vehicle which is only 3 months old and has just over 2000 miles on clock,witness stated she heard a bang and the car ran away from the kerb at a good rate of knots,witness confirmed the handbrake was on when we got the car off the building,awaiting inspection by seat tomorrow, my advice if any doubts get your car checked asap to avoid what happened to me
Update
Dealer has offered to take the car back and repair the damage free of charge and exchange it for another of my choice,seat Huddersfield well done one happy satisfied customer

#21 ·
They may point you to page 180 of the user manual.

Additional notes on parking the vehicle on
gradients:
Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle
rolls against the kerb if it started to roll.
● If the vehicle is parked facing downhill,
turn the front wheels so that they point towards the kerb.
● If the vehicle is parked facing uphill, turn
the front wheels so that they point away from
the kerb.
● Secure the vehicle as usual by applying the
handbrake firmly and putting it in 1st gear

#24 ·
The handbrake on the SEAT Arona is rubbish and not fit for purpose. Since we first got this car we've had issues. It's been back to the dealers TWICE- first time they 'claimed' they'd corrected the issue by adjusting the handbrake. Issue still the same. Our drive is in an incline. If I pull it up really high to hold the car, my wife can't take it off!!
It's crazy we are just having to put up with this. I took it back and they replaced the handbrake cable. Still the same.
I know I know - leave it in gear when parking. I do. That's what we used to do in the old days with beat-up rust ridden cars that cost thirty quid. I didn't expect to have to do that thirty years later with a twenty grand car. Come on Seat -sort it. ( and not the way you'sorted' the middle seat belt issue earlier this year!!)

#25 ·
That's exactly the same as me with my SE if I put the handbrake full on my wife could not get it off she had it roll back when she applies the Handbrake That was one reason I Changed The New FR I have had two week the handbrake is a lot better I suspect the Problem on the SEs is the rear drum brakes

#26 ·
I have had my Arona since December 2017 .The handbrake has always been ineffective and noisy on and off. It feels like something in the mechanism needs lubricated. I can get the handbrake to hold but my wife who drives it mostly cannot. As my first service was due I also reported the handbrake issue. They reported back saying that they would normally change the cable but SEAT had advised against it .They said my handbrake operation was normal and under test exceeded the minimum MOT standards . So after all that I am still left with a poor excuse for a handbrake. I always leave the car in gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.