Noisy brakes

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Arona
Mandaroo

Noisy brakes

Post by Mandaroo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:20 pm

Evening all. Had our Arona for a week now. Done over 400 miles and notice the brakes are still noisy. It's like a scraping noise. I hoped they would have become quieter once they had bedded in a bit but they still sound the same. I heard that they have some sort of eco pads fitted so not sure if this is the reason but it doesn't sound particularly good. Oh and the fuel tank is tiny. It cost £42 to fill it when it said zero miles on the computer. I reckon it's cost about £60 to do 450 miles as the salesman said he put £20 of petrol in it when we collected it.

Maziac

Re: Noisy brakes

Post by Maziac » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:13 am

This is an interesting observation about the brakes. Have you consulted the dealer about the noise? If so, what did they say? It would be nice to know whether one can change the pads to eliminate the noise. I don't get mine until mid May but it would be good to be armed with the information beforehand.

Dolphinfriendly1012

Post by Dolphinfriendly1012 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:20 am

I get this as well. Just a faint grinding noise, I have posted a picture before about how quickly the rear discs seem to get very rust and takes some time to clean them. Interestingly mines gone in the garage today and I have an Ibiza loan car with rear drums. There's no brake grind that I've heard with my arona so I wonder if it's the rears that are the culprit here. Be interesting to see if anybody who has drum brakes at the rear us also getting this noise.
Seat Arona Fr Sport 1.5, Mystery Blue and Grey. Sport line pack matte silver, mud flaps, sill protectors, boot mat, blue wheel centres, blue calipers, console mats and leather armrest.(Sold)

Brian566

Post by Brian566 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Dolphinfriendly1012 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:20 am
I get this as well. Just a faint grinding noise, I have posted a picture before about how quickly the rear discs seem to get very rust and takes some time to clean them. Interestingly mines gone in the garage today and I have an Ibiza loan car with rear drums. There's no brake grind that I've heard with my arona so I wonder if it's the rears that are the culprit here. Be interesting to see if anybody who has drum brakes at the rear us also getting this noise.
I have the SE with Drum brakes and have not noticed any squeaks so it could just be the Rear Disks
Arona FR TSI 115 Magnetic Grey[ Black Roof

Mandaroo

Post by Mandaroo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Well I went out in it this morning and found it to be noisier probably due to the film of rust that appears on the discs from damp weather once I had used the brakes it does quieten down. I might let it get a few more miles under it's belt before speaking to the dealer. It isn't anything terrible just a slight scrape noise. It seems more noticeable when manovering slowly. Probably just the pads bedding in hopefully.

GazzaB

Post by GazzaB » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:09 pm

it takes a good 500miles to really begin to bed in the brakes.
but it is has a grinding noise, then it could be a stone caught between the pad and the disk, check to see if a groove in the disk is starting to appear.
If so, then get to the dealer sharpish, as they can clear this before any real damage occurs to the disks, as this would not be covered in warranty if they needed replacing. better to get it checked sooner than end up with a BILL..
any grinding noises you should get to the Dealer straight away, don't wait..
Arona Excellence Lux 1.0TSi 115PS DSG. Nevada White with Black Roof, OEM dark window tint, Fitted a Carbon Fibre look rear Bumper Guard. Pressed Metal Number plates with Carbon fibre plate holder.
Planning to Do: Sound Deadening.

Mandaroo

Post by Mandaroo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:03 pm

Well I have just been out in it again and now starting to think that it isn't happening when breaking. I just turned round at the end of the road and the noise seems to happen when putting it on full lock or nearly full lock. It isn't the noise of a power steering pump. It still sounds like it's coming from the front wheels. I don't have to accelerate when manovering as it's a DSG so crawls once i release the brakes and that's when I notice it.

Cap boiler

Post by Cap boiler » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:00 pm

No sorry, the noise is no more or less than would be expected and given a reasonable mileage and usage the bedding in will resolve, how would this possibly be a model problem ? My model has drum brakes to the rear is hardy and given the issues with disc rears and hand brakes I am more than happy.
We’re coming to the end of a winter tour to Andalusia and the Arona has been perfect!
And very few others seen!

Gnuet

Post by Gnuet » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:18 pm

Tiny fueltank? You've clearly never driven an up! ;D

My breaks also squal from time to time, decided to do some "inspired" driving - that helped..

Baggy

Post by Baggy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Had mine 24hours so no time to squeal yet I don’t think .. mind you couldn’t even drive it today as wouldn’t start ! Had to call out the Seat Assist Breakdown ... took ages but he fiddled with all sorts and got it started .. wants me to take it straight to dealer first thing in morning to give it a good check over of the starter relay I think he said .. just was completely dead when trying to start it today Yet had run perfect last night when picked it up 😞

Return to “Faults & Technical”