Noisy brakes

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Arona
Nasawaya

Re: Noisy brakes

Post by Nasawaya » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:47 pm

The brakes are extremely noisy. I've bought a brand new Arona FR and whenever I remove my foot from the brake pedal, a loud annoying sound comes up. Has someone faced this issue? Because the company said that this sound can be heard in all seat cars but in the Arona it is even louder! And surprisingly they cannot fix.. There's no solution for that! I only got the car 2 months ago

JerrySK

Post by JerrySK » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:59 pm

I have the same problem. But I've got used to it. The rear wheels are fully perforated on both sides. The problem is that the blades are very close to the edge of the car and just need little water and are already starting to rust.
Arona FR 1.5 TSI, red/black

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:15 pm

All,

I worked for a leading brake manufacturing supplying VW, Seat, Ford etc for 40 years. A brake pad is made up of many components. The art of friction material is the correct friction level to suit the vehicle. This is achieved by a combination of abrasives and lubricants merged with heat resistant chemicals and noise dampening chemicals. One of the main components for friction is iron fillings, so rust forming on the discs should be expected and is normal. Noise can come from the calliper as well as the brake pad. With the growing market for Electric Vehicles manufactures are becoming more conscious of noise as the engine will no longer be there to mask brake noise. I think the Seat is fitted with MQB pads made by Federal Mogul, but can’t be sure until I receive my vehicle. Brake pads come with differing levels of noise dampening devices such as noise dampening shims. Before the vehicle manufacturers agree to the brake pad supplier a stringent testing procedure both using dynos and vehicle trials takes place. Noise levels are a critical part of this test and are a deciding factor when selecting the supplier. I am not suggesting that the brakes may not have noise, but the pad selection is likely to be the best suit for the vehicle calliper. Try other pads by all means but make sure it’s a premium brand OE spec.

Uncletone

Post by Uncletone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:51 pm

I agree with Ditch on dampening

Its something I noticed not long after getting the car. On stripping the brakes down (fronts only, car has discs & drums) I filed the edges of the pads where they sit in the caliper and greased the edges and back of the pads

45k miles later, not a muff. You might want to try that and see if it helps. My colleague has an Ibiza FR and has no issues so I suppose it might just be manufacturing tolerances.
It Only Beaks When I Fix It

Arona 1.0 SE TECH Nevada White

Return to “Faults & Technical”