Seat Arona Forum banner

Cornering fogs

54K views 82 replies 22 participants last post by  Lampie 
#1 ·
Hi. Does anyone know if the cornering function on the fog lights can be turned on or off? Ours don't appear to work and was just wondering if there is a setting in the menu to activate them? If not then must be a fault.

#2 ·
I'm not convinced my work or is even an option that's activated. I've never seen them come on and I don't think there's an option in the menu. I had an Ibiza courtesy car the other day and that had them working as I could see the light on the ground, it wasn't fitted with led headlights though.

#3 ·
Had another look at the manual and nothing obvious setting wise is jumping out at the moment. The only thing I can find is an explanation of how it works and it has the little asterisks next to it to suggest it's not standard equipment

Screenshot_20180413-211135.png

#4 ·
The price list (the 4 page grid of specs) has Cornering fog lamps for all grades in UK
It's the 4th item listed in exterior specs.
So appears to be standard in UK even if optional in some countries

Reading post above (with extract from manual) suggests dipped beam needs to be on for them to operate

#5 ·
I've just noticed it also says that both front fog lights come on when you put it into reverse. I've just tried it as its dark with headlights on both auto and normal dipped and fog lights did not come on. I've tried turning the steering left to right and neither lights up. I'm going back to the dealers on 3rd May I'll make some enquiries.

#8 ·
Well cornering lamps are not really new.
So a did a bit of digging and it all started in America, Cadillac put them on all their models in 1962, as a safety feature.
and only operated when the lights were on and the turn signal activated..

SO jump to the present day..... And the NEW big things are for SAFETY... Cornering lights.. (Oh WOW Thats NEW)..
Sorry healthy dose of sarcasm.

Now why have we not seen these for a long time.. Interesting what you can find out on wikipedia.
here is why: "Cornering lamps have traditionally been prohibited under international UN Regulations, though provisions have recently been made to allow them as long as they are only operable when the vehicle is travelling at less than 40 kilometres per hour (about 25 mph)".

So the UN never wanted any of us to be SAFE...

By the way if you didn't know, that the UN or should say UNECE, controls the Automotive regulations and many other regulations.
UNECE: United Nations Economic commission for Europe. since 1947, UK is a founder member.

So what is the legality of these cornering lights, lot of people say its illegal in the UK. here is the UK regulations 1989.. YES they not been updated.
Movement of lamps and reflectors

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989
12.-(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle to which, or to any load or equipment of which, there is fitted a lamp, reflector or marking which is capable of being moved by swivelling, deflecting or otherwise while the vehicle is in motion.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply in respect of-

(a)a headlamp which can be dipped only by the movement of the headlamp or its reflector;
(b)a headlamp which is capable of adjustment so as to compensate for the effect of the load carried by the vehicle;
(c)a lamp or reflector which can be deflected to the side by the movement of, although not necessarily through the same angle as, the front wheel or wheels of the vehicle when turned for the purpose of steering the vehicle;
(d)a headlamp or front fog lamp which can be wholly or partially retracted or concealed;
(e)a direction indicator fitted to a motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1986;
(f)a work lamp;
(g)a warning beacon;
(h)an amber pedal retro reflector; or
(i)retro reflective material or a retro reflector of any colour which is fitted so as to reflect light primarily to one or both sides of the vehicle and is attached to or incorporated in any wheel or tyre of-
(i)a pedal cycle and any sidecar attached to;
(ii)a solo motor bicycle or motor bicycle combination; or
(iii)an invalid carriage.

So switch them on and if someone tell you its illegal refer them to these regulations..

They can be switched on and off via VCDS and a cable directly into the OBD port.

Here is the link to this regulation; http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/12/made

#9 ·
European regs have updated most of these and there have been several changes in the last few years. The main point I think is shown as being fitted but no ones seem to work. Not a big issue as little difference, but I will pose the question to the dealers.

#10 ·
It could be that the dealers may think they are contravention to the legislation!
But I think the real reason is that 99% of the time they come from the factory disabled. and no one bothers to put them on or even check that they work.
Most people get in a car and just drive it, oblivious to if anything works or not. see so many with flat tyres, as they has not been set up in the tyre monitor etc.. and rear brake lights that don't work, one head light not working...
Only a few of us actually check and care about the functionality.
How many Arona's sold... and how many of us on the Forum asking questions... more likely less than 1% or even 0.5% that come on to the Forums.

Some come on just for one or 2 questions and then never come back.. others stay on and have a vested interest in the cars.
This happens with all forums.

#11 ·
Think like you say probably not bothered to be activated, definitely 2 that don't work. I'll speak to my mate who also has an arona and see if his work. The Ibiza I had for a couple of days was only 2 weeks old and they worked and from the same dealers so can't be them doing for legal reasons. Mine goes back in on the 3rd May so I'll get them to check and what is required, I suspect coding,

#12 ·
Dolphinfriendly1012 said:
I'm not convinced my work or is even an option that's activated. I've never seen them come on and I don't think there's an option in the menu. I had an Ibiza courtesy car the other day and that had them working as I could see the light on the ground, it wasn't fitted with led headlights though.
Glad you fetched this up as I have been checking this all week and also am Convinced they don't work But On the Leon if they had LED headlights the were disabled So wondering if the are disabled by default as only SE has Halogen Bulbs

#13 ·
@GazzaB
I remember working at a Toyota dealership when I first left school. A new mechanic did a PDI on a new car and sent it out still with the plastic blocks in the springs that are to stop the cars bouncing too much when on the transporter. The owner never realised it had a very hard ride as when it came in for a service a year later the mechanic found the blocks still in place. They found out who carried out the PDI and gave him a major telling off for endangering life.

#14 ·
@Mandaroo
Thinks are missed all the time.
When computers are built we had a warranty return as the customer could not get the wireless card to work, helpdesk diagnosed it as a faulty card.
When the Techs open the system the card had not even been fitted.
I had to do a Quality management report for this.
it lead to more stringent diagnostics checks at the factory level.

So every industry in manufacturing, Service, etc etc etc can miss things.

If the lights are meant to function, and they do not then the dealer is obliged to rectify this issue under warranty.
and the Manual clearly states all models have this function.

Take it to your dealer and ask them to check it, and rectify.

#16 ·
DavidinScotland said:
The SEAT website confirms my car has this function but I cannot get them to work either. I've looked through all the menus but it does look as if this is disabled by the manufacturer http://www.seat.co.uk/new-cars/new-arona/compare.html
I have Emailed Seat UK to ask the Question " Have they been disabled and why do they still advertise them" ?

#17 ·
I'm off to the dealers tomorrow to get their take on the plastic cladding that appears to be marking easily/prematurley and I will also pose this omission to them and we'll see what answers we get between us. I'll put money on them being completely different.

#18 ·
Looks as if they disabled as its not just 1 person having this issue from the sound if this thread.
the dealer will need to switch it on with VCDS.

#19 ·
Dolphinfriendly1012 said:
I'm off to the dealers tomorrow to get their take on the plastic cladding that appears to be marking easily/prematurley and I will also pose this omission to them and we'll see what answers we get between us. I'll put money on them being completely different.
Did you get anywhere with the fog light Seat have requested my chassis number

#20 ·
They said they need to check the pr numbers for the spec of the vehicle and let me know when it goes in on the 3rd May. The service guy seemed sure they should be but needed to double check. O know it shows in the brochure but they have more disclaimers about spec changes that I can care to remember. If you get an update prior let me know and I can pass it onto the dealers when I go in.

#21 ·
This is my reply from Seat
"I am sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your SEAT and would like to assist you in resolving this matter.
From the information that you have provided, the nature of the issue is a little unclear. We would therefore require the vehicle to be taken to one of our SEAT Dealerships for them to investigate in to the lights and supply you with the information regarding the function within the vehicle. You can locate your nearest Dealership using the link below:"

#22 ·
Love it, batted straight to the dealers. I'll get them to investigate when it's in and let you k ow the outcome if you can wait a couple of weeks.

#23 ·
Latest from Seat
"I have contacted our Brand Support Team for further advice and I have been advised that these have not been disabled on UK specification vehicles.

As stated in my previous email, this seems a little unclear and we would therefore recommend taking the vehicle to a SEAT Approved Dealership to allow a specially trained Parts Advisor to inspect the vehicle. Full details of all our dealerships can be found via the link below:"

#24 ·
It's gone in today for the large list of work and they are also going to have a look at the fog lights as they said they should be working. I get the car back next Wednesday all being well so I'll update accordingly.

#26 ·
No you have to be moving but there is conflicting instructions in the Manual page 146 about coming when indicator is activated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.