Seat Arona Forum banner

Front Assist

50K views 64 replies 24 participants last post by  number6 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

Is anybody having any issues or inconsistency with the operation of their Front Assist.

Over the last 100 miles or so if you are coming up behind a vehicle and shall we saying getting a little close you get the the little graphic in the dash highlighting the fact.

If you don't back off and get a tad closer, I'm only slowing by lifting off the pedal here, and I'm not braking, the little graphic disappears altogether. !!!

Now I've been stupid enough to try and get that close so I can see what mileage the car in front has done in an attempt to see if this system will work. In the end I bottled out and totally backed off.

In another instance the car in front was braking to turn left off the main road down a side street, he slowed and I pulled out and crossed the white lines to avoid him. Without really slowing down, as I passed his off side rear quarter the the thing lit up like a xmas tree and slammed the brakes on.

After I had opened the window to let the smell out, I pulled over and checked the handbook and the settings. The system was set in medium alert but it doesn't appear to be consistent in the way it works.

Running a Diagnostic thro the OBD Port I found no codes or anything impending.

Has anybody else found any discrepancy. I wouldn't for one minute advocate we rely on this during normal driving but I don't want to be a guinea pig either and drive up to a parked car and see if it stops.

Tone

See less See more
#2 ·
I have had varied results also with this system. As you say some days it's seems like it what's to go all kamikaze and not bother and other days it stamp on the brakes if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, it can be quite embarrassing as you screech to a halt and everyone looks in your direction. I have also found that keep.left bollards at you leave roundabout can cause it to activate. I have found that the sensor gets dirty, earlier in the year the salt scum and more recently larger dead flies seem to affect the radars operation.

#3 ·
I get the same issue on my Golf, I never think it actually gonna work.
and other times it jumps in early alarm sounding and big symbol in the dash and the brakes on full..
So its not just the Arona, its a VW group thing from the look of it.
think depends on throttle position and other factors as well and the radar.
I know on the new golf they move the sensor up into the grill near the badge, stops it getting as dirty and gives the radar in a better position.
as they found that the lower position can comprise the accuracy.
No doubt in future version they will move the sensors and radar positions.
its still being developed and getting better, and will continue to get better, as we will have self driving cars in the not too distant future.
I may even still be here when the change happens.
We will all end up in utopian cities, all joy joy happy like Demolition man. But more likely Mega City hell holes as in Judge Dredd. :)

#4 ·
Hello,

I have some serious issue with front assist. I get the message "the front assist sensor is impaired" at times, and it has even applied the brakes quite a few times, with no car in front, thankfully lightly. It always does it after driving for about 30mins, like it heats up or something.

Did anyone had a similar problem? I just had my Arona for 4-5 days. I got it back at the dearship and they are running diagnostics before they tell me what we do.

I will get back with their response but I am pretty frustrated as I consider this a VERY serious safety issue.

#5 ·
afonic said:
Hello,

I have some serious issue with front assist. I get the message "the front assist sensor is impaired" at times, and it has even applied the brakes quite a few times, with no car in front, thankfully lightly. It always does it after driving for about 30mins, like it heats up or something.

Did anyone had a similar problem? I just had my Arona for 4-5 days. I got it back at the dearship and they are running diagnostics before they tell me what we do.

I will get back with their response but I am pretty frustrated as I consider this a VERY serious safety issue.
Sounds like a fault with how your car is, either not setup correctly or a faulty element to the system be it the actual sensor or connectors :?:

Second car with it in and has worked as it should only warnings has been when someone darted in front of me on the motorway and the usual picking a car on the inside lane on a bend. Good system overall but not without its annoyances...

#6 ·
Got Arona last Friday, and used the ACC in the traffic tonight. Worked fine. I do miss the electronic hand brake from the golf. as you have to stick your foot on the brake all the time. where as in the golf the auto hold cut in and just press resume to restart.
Then another annoying thing is if your in traffic, and stopped for a while, you want o take your foot off the brake. the engine cuts back in.
Golf never did this until I hit resume, or touched the throttle.
So much for the start/stop.
It does cut in as you stop, think the voltage could be adjusted up a little to not cut in so quickly.
As I don't mind in normal dining the start stop, just in a stop/start traffic jam, JUST SWITCH IT OFF as it uses more fuel.
and the Mirrors, have hold my hand on the door to close the mirrors, need to dig out my VCDS soon, as that is just annoying.
otherwise these are minor issues which can be tweaked.

#7 ·
Cyberbob said:
Sounds like a fault with how your car is, either not setup correctly or a faulty element to the system be it the actual sensor or connectors :?:
They now told me that the front radar is faulty. It will be replaced when they get a spare, until then I'm driving with front assist off.

I am pretty shocked that a problem with a safety featured passed quality control. Some very poor practices there from Seat.

#8 ·
New Seat Arona SE Tech1.0 TSI 95 PS bought end July. Very soon after leaving garage with the new car warning triangle showing and on checking the fault is 'front assist sensor impaired'. Fault did not go away so car back in garage after 10 days for diagnostics. Given free courtesy car which I am still using! Sensor recalibration did not solve problem so new radar ordered which is coming from outside the UK since none in UK warehouse. Once new radar fitted it will then need recalibration and then car will be tested to hopefully see fault resolved. Hopefully will have the car back this week - await developments. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Is this a quality control issue? Should this fault not have been picked up on the PDI?
Also, after about 100 miles driving the select gear monitor sign on the screen changed to a revolving circle - has anyone experienced similar? The garage is aware of this fault too.

#9 ·
PDK said:
New Seat Arona SE Tech1.0 TSI 95 PS bought end July. Very soon after leaving garage with the new car warning triangle showing and on checking the fault is 'front assist sensor impaired'. Fault did not go away so car back in garage after 10 days for diagnostics. Given free courtesy car which I am still using! Sensor recalibration did not solve problem so new radar ordered which is coming from outside the UK since none in UK warehouse. Once new radar fitted it will then need recalibration and then car will be tested to hopefully see fault resolved. Hopefully will have the car back this week - await developments. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Is this a quality control issue? Should this fault not have been picked up on the PDI?
Also, after about 100 miles driving the select gear monitor sign on the screen changed to a revolving circle - has anyone experienced similar? The garage is aware of this fault too.
Sorry to hear of your rocky start to Arona ownership. Sadly, it seems you have been unlucky :( The radar is easy to replace it is the calibration that takes longer but sounds like it should cure your issue. It may have not popped up on PDI as it would not have been tested. PDI s just a quick drive/check and is to test brakes and other basic systems. So if no fault was thrown up it would have passed.

I have never had any quality issues on the five SEAT's I have owned. MK2 Leon FR had a seat which was replaced after six months. That is pretty much it!! Always have been reliable and well built, although are better built these days than my MK1 Leon Cupra in 2004... The SEAT Martorell factory has the highest quality rating of all the VAG factories.

#10 ·
As Cyberbob rightly says, the PDI is just a basic check.
The garages make out that it is some all singing all dancing check to all systems when it is not.
It actually takes them couple of hours tops to do and that includes washing the car.
and that is not always done very well either.

Components fails, this is a reality that happens daily across the globe in ALL industries. You could buy a new Computer and that maybe dead from the first try of powering it on. but it also could work flawlessly for 5-10years and never break. During manufacture the systems are checked, and then boxed.
The cause of the failure in most electronics is ESD damage, this cannot be seen unless you have a microscope on the Circuit board. We call these the Walking wounded. as the failure can occur at anytime.
You ask about Quality checks. This is done be randomly selecting 10 machines/items which are already boxed awaiting shipping. removing them to the QA lab, opening these boxes and doing a full set of diagnostics checks of them.
any failures in that batch, should holt the shipment, and all of that batch should be tested for more failures. This is sample testing.
This does not mean that we capture all failures, as we may just pick up 10 good ones, and one bad one gets missed.

as for the failed item. Each item should in its Serial Number and routing numbers be traceable back to the technicians on that production line.
Checks then should be put into place to retrain and monitor the tech to try to eliminate the root cause.
What most people do not know is that when we walk we all generate Static electricity. this is generally around 1000-2000 volts.
This we cannot feel, have is discharged by touching metal without us even knowing.
When we do feel the static shock, this is at a considerably higher voltage, above 3500 volts, if you hear it - Above 4500volts and see it then this is 5000+ Volts. (variable person)
Now a modern CPU in a computer is fried at 125 volts, a circuit board at 300-500volts. This is why ESD is such a killer of components.
It only takes one technician a moment to forget to connect to the ESD Grounding station to start a chain reaction which could cause the failure for you.
We are but Human.

NOTE: That the Voltage I refer to here is for Static Electricity not Mains electricity.

#11 ·
Thank you Cyberbob and GazzaB for your comments. When I questioned about the fault been picked up on the PDI I was told it should have - I assume the individual just assumed the answer was yes! I will keep you updated.
Did you see my other point concerning the gear select monitor sign?

#12 ·
As for the sign.
I have the LUX with he mode select. if I go into Eco mode, and when driving, I take my foot off the gas pedal then I get a revolving symbol but with Eco in the middle. this is when the management system shuts off the fuel to the engine when costing in gear as a fuel saving economy mode.
Made this is something similar, as the SE may well be setup for more to an eco drive profile than ours with the user changeable selection.

#13 ·
Garage were unable to fix fault so in the end I rejected the car towards the end of August and took delivery a few days later of a new nearly identical car other than the roof colour being different. All seems OK to date but for various reasons have only about 300 miles on the clock to date. Was told I would hear from Seat as to a goodwill gesture but this is still to be finally resolved.

#14 ·
Yesterday it started snowing and my Front Assist Impairment light came on. Baffled cuz I've no idea why it happened.The car is only 1yr old from brand new (leaded). Contacted company to confirm if the warranty covers this as it surely can't be an out of pocket cost. I keep reading about everyone's experiences on this very item. I'm turning mine off so it does not do something crazy. Q: Are these things under warranty or what & what else can I expected to go wrong?

#15 ·
Floider24 said:
Yesterday it started snowing and my Front Assist Impairment light came on. Baffled cuz I've no idea why it happened.The car is only 1yr old from brand new (leaded). Contacted company to confirm if the warranty covers this as it surely can't be an out of pocket cost. I keep reading about everyone's experiences on this very item. I'm turning mine off so it does not do something crazy. Q: Are these things under warranty or what & what else can I expected to go wrong?
It says in the handbook during times of snow falling, the sensor may get covered, (or if dirt and road grime cover it) and may need to be turned off temporarily (see page 207)

https://www.seat.co.uk/datamanual-manual/arona/my18_w27/en-uk/ARONA_07_17_EN.pdf

Gentley wipe the sensor clean, hopefully that sorts it. If not will need to go to dealers.

#17 ·
pflatout said:
I have a problem with the emergency brake assist alarm coming on with no 1 in front of the car and today it locked the brakes and stopped the car after taking off from a round about.the sensor is clean.
I had an issue with the sensor which was found to be due to the sensor not being securely held in place by its fixings. It was refixed and cured.

#22 ·
Hello all, just reading all the problems with front assist, i got my arona just before Christmas and front assist was working fine, then maybe three weeks later the symbol on the display showed the front assist with an egg timer on it, now the manual says it's calabrating, but it never changes, it's stuck on that setting so obviously it's not working, any idea's any body how to fix it? 🙄

#23 ·
Stuart123 said:
Hello all, just reading all the problems with front assist, i got my arona just before Christmas and front assist was working fine, then maybe three weeks later the symbol on the display showed the front assist with an egg timer on it, now the manual says it's calabrating, but it never changes, it's stuck on that setting so obviously it's not working, any idea's any body how to fix it? 🙄
Take it up with your supplier ?

#24 ·
My front assist also stopped working after a few weeks. Both dealer and SEAT UK deny any fault. My ARONA Excellence Lux is now about 18 months old and the system simply does not work.
I hope your experience with your dealer and SEAT are better than mine - they are just not interested!!!

#25 ·
Nivram said:
My front assist also stopped working after a few weeks. Both dealer and SEAT UK deny any fault. My ARONA Excellence Lux is now about 18 months old and the system simply does not work.
I hope your experience with your dealer and SEAT are better than mine - they are just not interested!!!
You say "stopped working" but did you get the message '"the front assist sensor is impaired" ? I did, when the car was a few days old, and in my case the front sensor was simply not located properly, maybe by a millimetre. It just clips into place. The dealer said that it must have been knocked by something. However they did fix it in a few seconds under warranty. I suppose that it makes sense for it to do this as a degree or two of angle out of true could cause sudden emergency braking or a failure to brake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.