LED interior lights in the roof and boot

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Arona
Monmouth

LED interior lights in the roof and boot

Post by Monmouth » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:15 pm

Dudes (and dudettes) !

I’m going to replace the interior lighting in my Arona Style with LED’s. There are already LED’s in the front footwells but the interior lights in the roof between driver side and passenger is not. And there is no LED in the boot either.

First; how do I remove the plastic covering the lights in the roof and in the boot ? There’s no instruction in the manual and I cant find a slot for a small screwdriver. I dont want to bend the plastic in the wrong places.

Second; what kind of LED bulb is it ? I cant find this in the manual either, the manual really sucks. Has anyone of you guys switched to LED and if so - how did you do it ? Any pics or info will be greatly appreciated.

/Monmouth

Brian566

Re: LED interior lights in the roof and boot

Post by Brian566 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:34 am

Hi
Not sure were the Style fits into the UK spec The UK has SE then FR and excellence
The SE has three Interior light standard bulbs and can be changed to Leds
Page 100 fig 112 shows this

The FR and above have two bulbs in housing that has the alarm sensors and have not seen any instruction's in getting this off as want to change mine
Arona FR TSI 115 Magnetic Grey /Black Roof

BenC

Post by BenC » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Brian566 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:34 am
The FR and above have two bulbs in housing that has the alarm sensors and have not seen any instruction's in getting this off as want to change mine
EDITED

There are 3 versions of the interior light on the Arona - "Low", "Mid" and "High".

This is for High (FR/Xcellence)... You basically just pry off the main panel (with the lights) and pull out the bulbs.

This is for the boot light (all models)...

Last edited by BenC on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 (19) Arona Xcellence Lux 1.0L 115PS Petrol DSG - Eclipse Orange with Grey Roof.

Brian566

Post by Brian566 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks for the pictures makes it clear how to do it

Monmouth

Post by Monmouth » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:15 pm

BenC, thank you for the pics ! Just what I was looking for. Awesome !

BenC

Post by BenC » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:01 am

Let me know how it goes. I couldn't pry off the middle panel (the green highlighted panel in the 1st image). It unclipped at the edges but seemed to be well secured in the middle. I gave up in the end as I didn't want to risk snapping the panel.

I'm using the correct shaped/sized trim tool, so you would think it would come off easily, but it just won't budge.

Hoping someone else has more luck and can tell me how to do it. The SEAT tech docs just say "pry it off" - very useful.

EDITED - I was doing it wrong. I have updated the diagrams and instructions.
Last edited by BenC on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 (19) Arona Xcellence Lux 1.0L 115PS Petrol DSG - Eclipse Orange with Grey Roof.

Brian566

Post by Brian566 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:25 pm

BenC wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:01 am
Let me know how it goes. I couldn't pry off the middle panel (the green highlighted panel in the 1st image). It unclipped at the edges but seemed to be well secured in the middle. I gave up in the end as I didn't want to risk snapping the panel.

I'm using the correct shaped/sized trim tool, so you would think it would come off easily, but it just won't budge.

Hoping someone else has more luck and can tell me how to do it. The SEAT tech docs just say "pry it off" - very useful.
Glad you are the First to try and was a bit worried about breaking it but did not have the correct trim tool only a cheap plastic one the Alarm sensors are their and maybe the heating temperature sensor so its a expensive job if it goes wrong

Brian566

Post by Brian566 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:26 pm

Brian566 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:25 pm
BenC wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:01 am

Glad you are the First to try and I was a bit worried about breaking it but did not have the correct trim tool only a cheap plastic one the Alarm sensors are in there and maybe the heating temperature sensor so its a expensive job if it goes wrong

BenC

Post by BenC » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Brian566 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:25 pm

Glad you are the First to try and was a bit worried about breaking it but did not have the correct trim tool only a cheap plastic one the Alarm sensors are their and maybe the heating temperature sensor so its a expensive job if it goes wrong
I'm an idiot! I was doing it completely wrong. You don't remove the first two panels (that's only if you wish to remove the entire fitting). You only need to pry off the light panel itself in order to change the bulbs. It's super simple.

BenC

Post by BenC » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:53 pm

Here are some more pictures...

It looks like the factory is using blue coated bulbs to try to create a whiter light. If they wanted a whiter light, then using an LED in the first place would have made a lot more sense. LEDs are now on order (220 lumens vs the current <50 lumens).

I will post another update once they arrive and are installed.

Return to “Faults & Technical”