Infotainment system re-booting for no reason

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Arona
Goldfish

Infotainment system re-booting for no reason

Post by Goldfish » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:32 pm

My Arona SE Tech is going back to the dealer this week due to a fault with my infotainment system. Infotainment system has ran for around 5-10 mins then screen goes black - timeout switched off already - and you can still hear sound coming from it, as Sat Nav / radio working. Then re-boots for no reason and when it comes back on, screen has frozen to such an extent that you can't even use the bottoms to switch off. Neither physical or touch screen buttons work. The issue resolves itself with the vehicle switched off and left overnight! Also when the screen is busy having a wobbly, the directional arrow on the driver data screen shows '--' instead of NW / SE etc.Only had the car 3 weeks. :cry:

Anyone else had an issue like this?
SEAT Arona SE Technology DSG. Desire red with black roof & spare wheel

mynameismanuel

Re: Infotainment system re-booting for no reason

Post by mynameismanuel » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:17 pm

Coincidentally something similar happened to me last night. I reversed the car, cannot recall if rear view camera operated but am sure when i went to go forward that the parking sensors schematic was showing. Normally afterwards when up in speed the display defaults to what has been previously displayed, eg radio stations, but last night it was black. If i turned the volume know on the radio then it would show the volume bar going up/down. Like yourself I could hear the stations and change them on my steering wheel.

After going to the shops and restarting everything was back to normal.

I'd be interested in how you fair out, as if the unit is on the way out i'll get it changed under warranty. It's probably some software glitch.

Goldfish

Post by Goldfish » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:30 am

So got the Arona back on 08/08/19. The garage had the car for 1 day and had given the infotainment system a software update and tweaked the factory settings. As soon as I drove out of the garage the issue was still there. The constant in all of this is that (1) the aircon was running & (2) the temperature was 21.5c. The inside of the car was very hot as it had been sitting out in the sun. So, the only thing that I can no deduce from this is that the unit must be overheating? This morning is was 14c and the infotainment system was fine. So, on at least two out of the three occasions that the infotainment system misbehaved, the aircon was on and is was least 21.5c. Contacted the dealer by email last night and waiting a call today, for the car to go back in. :(

mynameismanuel

Post by mynameismanuel » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:59 am

Well just to let you know that my screen went black again this morning, and this time it went black when i hit the station button while park pilot was still being displayed. As I was only leaving my driveway i stopped the engine and then restarted. I did this twice and it did not come back. I drove to work with the screen black and used the instrument panel audio page to see the station displayed. No doubt later when i start the car it'll come back. I hope so. Please keep me up to date with your progress and good luck!

DomesticExtremist

Post by DomesticExtremist » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Had a similar black screen of death experience today. Hadn't used the car since day before yesterday, so don't remember if I turned off with Park Pilot screen still running.
Turned on ignition today, SEAT logo appears, then nothing.
Press left button on console, nothing.
Stop with key and restart, just a black screeen, no response from the button.
Went on my way in silence and started thinking it may be hung up on something and wondered if there might be some magic tricks I could do to force a reboot - a kind of SEAT ctrl-alt-del.
Tried a long press on the left button - nothing.
Tried holding both left and right buttons down which is a bit of a stretch one handed (pinkie and thumb) - nothing, but...
a couple of minutes later, the unit came back to life, showing the clock.
Clicked the left button again and the mp3 came back on in exactly the last place I left it.
Yay!
It was working fine on my return journey too.
I don't know if it is a coincidence that it came back or if I actually did something with my button presses.
Maybe someone else suffering this problem might like to give it a try.
SE Technology TDI 95

Goldfish

Post by Goldfish » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:27 am

My screen re-booted itself several times while out driving on Saturday, and again the temperature was in excess of 21.5c. Nothing was plugged in, so no-one can suggest that it was a cable connection issue with regards to smartphones. I'm waiting on the SEAT garage getting back to me as they are approaching SEAT for a solution. Worked fine on Sunday, but that was because it was 14c and raining to no heat issues. Already made it quite clear to the garage that since the fault happened within 2 weeks of picking up the new car, then I will happily 'reject' the vehicle and look for a replacement, so a solution better be forthcoming. The staff member of Service Reception was trying to give me the 'well these things happen sometimes' speech. Explained - in a very nice and polite way - that that was going to wash. The infotainment system was one of the reasons for choosing SEAT (VW Group) over Renault and Vauxhall, so if it ain't going to work, then the car is no use to me!
I'll keep the forum updated, on progress.

Goldfish

Post by Goldfish » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:33 am

Got a call from the garage yesterday afternoon, asking for my car to be brought in and they would provide me with a courtesy car. Asked how long they might have the car, and was advised, "as long as it takes to fix it". So let's see what transpires. Gave me a black Arona FR manual to use. Couldn't get the car to start, ....until the service staff reminded me that you need to press the clutch in. :D

Goldfish

Post by Goldfish » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:12 am

Got the car from the Dealership on Friday evening. They had changed the touchscreen system - but not the control box in the glovebox - and everything seems fine over the weekend of use. The temperature was only a high of 14c so have still to test it under outside temperatures in excess of 20c, so will have to wait.

Goldfish

Post by Goldfish » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:15 pm

Out today Sunday 25th August, temp was 23c and infotainment system still not working - as described before - and my wife took another video as evidence of the issue. Will be contacting the garage tomorrow.

Return to “Faults & Technical”