Seat Arona Forum banner

Second thoughts maybe

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Cyberbob 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I currently have a 1.6tdi FR in orange with black roof on order, in fact according to my dealer it is being built this week!
I have up until now been excited about the car coming however, one big thing that sold the car to me was the offer of 0% finance that was available back in July when I ordered th car, this was on condition of it being a Diesel, I did originally look at the SE tech lux but coming from a Leon FR the sports interior folding mirrors, climate & LED head lights far outweighed the beats audio and heated seats on offer so I stumped up the extra for a factory build FR.
Here is my dilemma..... seat in there wisdom are now offering 0% across the range meaning I could now opt for The 115 Petrol, which as it's cheaper should work out to be roughly the same as my expected costs given the discounts I got back in July.
Am I right to have second thoughts ? Is the TDi unit good enough to to stick ?
I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow to get a quote on the Petrol to get a real comparison.
Your opinions welcomed.

#2 ·
I assume you are intending to keep the car for years, but it is ultimately your choice. A lot depends on your type of journeys

The diesel is good engine (although a fairly old design), but not great for lots of short journeys as it's only really efficient when warmed through. Obviously takes longer to warm up in winter. Apparently this engine will be discontinued in about 3 years as VW group are phasing out diesels below 2 litres.

The petrol (in 115 form) is surprisingly good, however like most modern engines mapped to save fuel, can involve lots of changing gears if you want to get the best from it. Consequently is brilliant with DSG box. However if you luckily live in area free from city traffic then manual is fine. Petrol is better for short journeys.

Real world fuel consumption is not that different, so going to have to do vast mileage to offset extra initial cost of diesel, probably something like 100k miles

Of course if you change order now, may have to wait extra 3 months, but possibly your dealer will be happy to have other car for stock, and may offer you good deal.

One other thought the FR has the option of the 1.5 petrol, if you want to really enjoy the car that is one to go for. However I think orders were closed and re-opening November so I don't know how long you would have to wait, but worth asking. (then posting update for others).

#6 ·
The derv in the Arona is based on the newer Euro 6 EA288 engine which appeared in 2015, initially in the Golf and replaced the now infamous EA189. Its design was based on the existing EA189 engine family. Displacement, cylinder spacing, stroke and bore ratio are shared between the EA189 and the EA288 engines. But slightly quieter and various emission improvements in the EA288. New PSA 1.5 diesel is quieter though having driven a Peugeot 1.5d 208 recently.

On PCP the diesel has a slightly better residual than the petrol and back in July; assuming SEAT honours it, you got an extra £1000 deposit allowance as well. Try and have a play with the finance calculator on the SEAT website gives you a chance to see which could work better.

I like the 1.6 TDi, I have in my SE Tech Lux, but the 1 litre petrol has more character if less torque and of course the diesel makes more noise and usual derv chatter... Overall though the 1.6 TDi Arona has plenty of punch and economy is in the 60's, I see up to 70 on a steady run at 60-70 mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.