Arona FR Handbrake failure

New to the Seat Arona Forums? Introduce yourself here
Fl3tch

Arona FR Handbrake failure

Post by Fl3tch » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:03 am

Has anyone experienced a handbrake failure on a FR Arona? Only this weekend mine decided to roll down a hill and crash into a concrete post even though it had been stationary for over 10 minutes! Thankfully this incident did not involve any casualties or damage to anyone else's property but I dread to think what could have happened. I had the AA out to assess the problem and they couldn't see any issues with the handbrake but I cannot believe there isn't a fault. I have found on the web a common failure relating to handbrakes operated by rear disc brakes. Apparently there can be problems where the disc is still hot after driving, the brake will hold fine but as the disc cools it’s thickness reduces and the brake can slip and roll. Is this something anyone else has experienced or has knowledge of? At present, I can only assume this is what may have happened but have no evidence to prove it.
I have booked the car into the local SEAT dealership this week as a matter of urgency/ safety but I am concerned that they will sweep this problem under the carpet and just say the handbrake is fine and I will have to claim on my insurance!
Would appreciate any any upfront advise prior to having the car checked by the dealership and being hung out to dry for something that wasn't my fault.

DomesticExtremist

Re: Arona FR Handbrake failure

Post by DomesticExtremist » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:27 am

It's a plausible theory, but that would apply to all cars with rear discs and (we might hope) have a mitigating solution whixh SEAT may or may not have implemented correctly.
There were problems with the SE handbrake, but those are drums on the rear. AIUI it has been solved and mine has so far seemed ok, but I am aware of it and need to start remembering to park in gear.
I didn't used to do this in my old Inca as the engine was strong enough to start and pull away in gear (oops) but the Arona won't start until the clutch is depressed, so I need to change my habits.
SE Technology TDI 95

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:00 am

Hi Fl3tch,

I know of two instances where a car has been parked with the handbrake on and the brakes have let go, first was an Abarth 500 and that rolled down his steep drive and crashed into a house but luckily there were a load of bins which cushioned the impact..

The other was an Audi TT and that rolled quite a long way and went through a wall at the bottom of the road. Both times the cars had been driven fast before being parked up.
1.0 FR Sport Mystery Blue

Fl3tch

Post by Fl3tch » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:45 pm

Any advise prior to having the car checked by the dealership? I could do with some ammunition to back up what I believe to be a mechanical failure. I can guarantee they will fix any apparent problems without me knowing and say the handbrake is fine! Any comments welcome

keitht

Post by keitht » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:21 pm

I am sorry you had a problem. My drive is about a 1 in 4 so I always leave the car nose down and in reverse. However I have found that when applying the handbrake it makes a big difference (2 or 3 clicks) if you are pressing the brake pedal or not. This usually manifests itself in creaking when leaving the vehicle, or even opening the door, if the handbrake has not been firmly applied by pressing the brake pedal.
I bet the dealer will wave the owners manual page at you which says leave in gear on a slope so be prepared for this.
Try and get the dealer to send you a video of his checks to back up his findings.
Desire Red with black roof FR

Fl3tch

Post by Fl3tch » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:41 pm

Thanks for the advice, I am expecting an extract from the owners manual but a good call ref video checks. Thanks

AndyK

Post by AndyK » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:52 am

This may or may not be of relevance, but yesterday I took my SE Tech into the dealers to have the seatbelt issue fixed. I was informed on collection, that they had also carried out recall work on the handbrake.
As I said, it may not be related to your problem. Either way, hope you get it sorted.

Fl3tch

Post by Fl3tch » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:59 am

Thanks for the info. Does the SE tech also have rear disc brakes or drums?

Brian566

Post by Brian566 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:17 pm

Fl3tch wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:59 am
Thanks for the info. Does the SE tech also have rear disc brakes or drums?
The SE Tech has drum brakes at the rear
The recall modification to the Handbrake is a nut to checked or replaced it only applies to the SE with drums brakes I had the recall phone cal because I had a SE but replaced it with a FR and told it does not apply
Arona FR TSI 115 Magnetic Grey /Black Roof

Fl3tch

Post by Fl3tch » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:54 pm

Ok thanks for confirming this. A quick update, I took my car to the dealership today and after they carried out there checks they confirmed everything relating to the brakes is ok! Surprise surprise! That being the case I had no option but to accept what they were telling me even though I still haven’t got a satisfactory answer to how the car managed to be stationary for 10 minutes before rolling down a hill! Anyway as I was travelling the short journey home I noticed that on a couple of occasions a rubbing brake sound when starting off from junctions. I’ve had the car for almost 6 months and never had any noises like this so I contacted the dealership immediately as in my eyes I believe they have made adjustments to the brakes and decided not to mention it to me..how convenient is that! To cut a long story short I’ve questioned there integrity and even though they insist they haven’t tampered with the brakes I have begged to differ. Ive have now decided to escalate it with SEAT UK as I can’t help but think this has been a cover up!

Return to “Introductions”