Spec choice - advice please

All Seat Arona related discussions
sula

Spec choice - advice please

Post by sula » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:12 am

Hello!

New car time and I'm definitely going for an Arona.

With availability and lead time considered I currently have the choice of the following three options. Diesel not an option for me (average < 9k miles pa).

1. SE technology 1.0 petrol 95. Silver with black roof.

2. SE technology 1.0 petrol DSG auto 115. White with black roof.

3. FR. 1.0 petrol 115. Mystery blue with black roof.

Option one is the cheapest obviously. Am I going to be disappointed with that lower power of the two petrol 1.0 engines?

Option two, I've never had an automatic but test drove it and actually very smooth to drive so no objections to automatic but is the extra cost worth it over option 1?

Option 3 higher trim. Appealing for the extras. Disappointed it's only available in this colour though. I tend to go for silvers or white as they age better and don't show the scratches.

So over to the Arona owners and experts.... What do you think??

Mikedu

Re: Spec choice - advice please

Post by Mikedu » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:35 am

I have an SE Tech with the 95 bhp 1.0 engine. Ok, I’ve only had it for 5 weeks, but I have no issues with it power and perfomance, usually with 3 up. I guess the mpg would be better with the 115 engine but the manual box is a doozy.

keitht

Post by keitht » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:33 pm

I think many dealers now have new Aronas in stock, or pre ordered for their stock ( my local dealer has about 20 available).
I obviously don’t know your circumstances but have you had a look at carwow to see discount levels and availability for your chosen specifications?
As far as spec choice is concerned I have had both the lower and higher powered turbo units in their previous reincarnation in Skodas. I much prefer the performance of higher powered unit, but only you can decide if you think it is worth the extra money.
I also think that the LED headlights and the alarm as standard are alone almost worth the extra for the FR.
FR Sport Mystery Blue with Black Roof

DomesticExtremist

Post by DomesticExtremist » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:58 pm

I'm no great fan of automatics, at any time, so I'm biased against the DSG.
I have the SE Tech 95 1.6TDI. Power wise it is OK, but would appreciate a bit more.
If you could get a 115bhp petrol non-automatic I think that would be your best bet.
After that it is a matter of how much tech/trim you want.
My SE Tech has more tech than I'm really ready to use or want.
SE Technology TDI 95

Lampie

Post by Lampie » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:11 am

I have option 3, same color, with DSG 115hp ( and chiptuned to 130 because of towing a trailer sometimes)
My first automatic, and I love it.
after 37 years of shiftstick... it felt good. no issues with this gearbox.
problems came when I had to drive a manual again, almost let it stall a few times.

Scratches... yes I got a few, right frontcorner of the bumper, 3 tiny scratches, and they show the much lighter base paint layer.
and I have some scratches on the black windowtrim of the driverdoor, my advise : close your door using the doorhandle.
Seat Arona FR DSG7 Business Intense Full LED 130HP 280Nm 10777 km

Seat Urban Vehicle ®

AronaKent

Post by AronaKent » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:31 am

Definitely shop around, carwow is your best bet - don't just think you are limited to 3 cars!

If you don't do many motorway miles then the 95ps is absolutely perfect. I have number 1 on your list but with silver roof as well and i can't fault it. The only things that are annoying is the lack of rear interior light and heated wing mirrors but we can live without. Hopefully they will sort this out with newer revisions.
2018(68) Arona SE Technology, 1.0 95ps TSI Manual. All silver - Full LED Headlights :idea:

DomAronaFR

Post by DomAronaFR » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:01 am

I’ve got the Arona FR 115 DSG which I picked up two weeks ago and drove it home 350 miles. Very impressed with performance and the DSG gearbox is a dream to use. At no time have I felt the need for more power and find that by slipping the DSG into Sport in town the performance is more responsive. I love it already although I experienced an annoying vibration sound from the infotainment area in the heat of yesterday. Grrr...
Arona FR 115 DSG in Desire Red with Black roof. Reg December 2017

Wowzz

Post by Wowzz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:40 pm

I have option 1, and find the power sufficient for day to day driving, with enough poke for some overtaking if required. I don't do that much motorway driving these days, but when I do I have no problem in keeping up a steady 75/80.
My only proviso is that I live in a very flat part of the country, and rarely drive with more than one passenger - if I lived in the Lake District and often drove with a car load if passengers, I might be tempted to opt for the more powerful engine.

theforestdweller

Post by theforestdweller » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:48 pm

Since I've only ever driven and now own a 115 FR Sport that's the only engine option I can comment on. I Have found this little 3 pot engine to be a revelation. Plenty of torque at low revs thanks to the turbo, high gearing meaning you don't have to rev the guts out of it and motorway cruising (that keeps up with the outside lane with ease), making my way through urban sprawl , or country lane driving is an absolute pleasure. I highly recommend this engine option in whatever trim suits your needs.
Arona FR Sport 1.0 115ps - Arrived 05.03.2019

When the experts are agreed, the opposite opinion cannot be held to be certain (Bertrand Russell)

sula

Post by sula » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:24 pm

Thanks everyone. I have to say I am tempted by the automatic. Took it on a second test drive and it is very smooth and actually enjoyable to drive.

Return to “Main Seat Arona chat”