Views on Stop/Start?

All Seat Arona related discussions
MotorMan

Views on Stop/Start?

Post by MotorMan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:39 am

A current thread under the 'Faults and Technical' heading on this forum prompts me to ask forum members how useful you find the Stop/Start feature. I'm probably a poor example because most of my driving is on rural roads so the stop/start rarely kicks in. However, when I do venture into more busy areas I find the feature really annoying and can occasionally get caught out. I know it's easy to disable but If I could I'd disable it completely in the settings menu. What's your opinion?
Xcellence 115PS Red/ Black roof

number6

Re: Views on Stop/Start?

Post by number6 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:28 am

I find that it STOPS at walking pace. When I slow for pedestrians crossing or a railway crossing, as I go to pull away, it has to restart. Usually gets a toot from behind.

DomesticExtremist

Post by DomesticExtremist » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:00 pm

I have to say I'm 70% converted to it.
At first I was sceptical but it has proven to be pretty well behaved for the most part.
Occasionally I have to restart manually if I try to pull away just as it has cut out and in heavy stop-start traffic it seems to spend more time stopping and starting than actually running the engine. In that latter circumstance I turn it off.
The rest of the time it works well with the flow of traffic and in town driving.
I tend to keep the car in gear with the clutch down for roundabouts etc, so it will only stop the engine if I make a conscious decision to put it in neutral and let the clutch out.
So as I say I give it 7/10 (until it starts to play up on me, then I will be looking for a hack to disable it permanently :) ).
SE Technology TDI 95

Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:22 pm

I usually turn it off, have found that SW London has too much creeping traffic approaching junctions, roundabouts, pedestrian crossings etc.
It cuts off at walking pace, and then leaves you with no steering as you creep up whilst starting to turn at junctions rather than waiting until you stop.

It might be a good idea in theory, and is fine at traffic lights where you have a dead stop for a while, and probably works where traffic is light.

But whoever programmed it, didn't try it in outer London traffic that is often shuffling towards junctions, and that makes it useless where I live, because that is the way people drive in outer London and Surrey. That is why virtually no-one buys manual transmission cars in this part of the world as driving a manual smoothly at 2-4mph is hard work.
Arona Xcelence Lux 115 tsi DSG monsoon grey with orange roof, leather and alcantara interior. Also have a Skoda Roomster.

Bonzo

Post by Bonzo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:55 pm

I usually turn mine off, what I would prefer is a system the shuts off after a given time, say 5 seconds of stationary traffic.
FR 115 with DSG

theforestdweller

Post by theforestdweller » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:09 pm

I always turn mine off. On the odd occasion I forget, when it kicks in I briefly assume I've stalled the engine and try to work out why!
Arona FR Sport 1.0 115ps - Arrived 05.03.2019

When the experts are agreed, the opposite opinion cannot be held to be certain (Bertrand Russell)

DomesticExtremist

Post by DomesticExtremist » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:42 am

Snowdaddy wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:22 pm
I usually turn it off, have found that SW London has too much creeping traffic approaching junctions, roundabouts, pedestrian crossings etc.
It cuts off at walking pace, and then leaves you with no steering as you creep up whilst starting to turn at junctions rather than waiting until you stop.
You do know that if you turn the steering wheel just the smallest amount it will restart the engine, don't you?
It's actually quite useful as you don't need to hover with your foot over the clutch when waiting for lights to change.
SE Technology TDI 95

Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:08 am

DomesticExtremist wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:42 am
Snowdaddy wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:22 pm
You do know that if you turn the steering wheel just the smallest amount it will restart the engine, don't you?
It's actually quite useful as you don't need to hover with your foot over the clutch when waiting for lights to change.
Yes, aware but the problem is at T junctions, it cuts off whilst still rolling towards the stop line, and if you start to turn have to wait second or two for engine to restart which is dangerous when you are easing past traffic in adjacent lane.

As I said unlikely to be a problem in light traffic, but within the M25, traffic queues in narrow parallel lanes at busy times, not uncommon for the sensors to be also showing grey, yellow or red as cars get so close during these everyday occurrences as others pass close alongside, or move up.
Arona Xcelence Lux 115 tsi DSG monsoon grey with orange roof, leather and alcantara interior. Also have a Skoda Roomster.

Pjldecor

Post by Pjldecor » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:18 pm

I'm a fan of the stop start system. It stops the engine when I stop the car and starts again when I take my foot off the break. It never stops the engine when the car is moving. That sounds strange.
I would never switch it off, that would defeat the object of the system for saving fuel and trying to stop pollution.
Traffic jams and slow moving traffic are exactly the times it's supposed to work. Imo.
I drive a DSG, so maybe it works better with this transmission than a manual gearbox.

number6

Post by number6 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:06 pm

Pjldecor wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:18 pm
I'm a fan of the stop start system. It stops the engine when I stop the car and starts again when I take my foot off the break. It never stops the engine when the car is moving. That sounds strange.
I would never switch it off, that would defeat the object of the system for saving fuel and trying to stop pollution.
Traffic jams and slow moving traffic are exactly the times it's supposed to work. Imo.
I drive a DSG, so maybe it works better with this transmission than a manual gearbox.
NO. I have a DSG and it catches me out in very slow moving traffic, especially when turning. Can be pretty dangerous.