Importing car into UK

All Seat Arona related discussions
Brucie

Importing car into UK

Post by Brucie » Fri May 22, 2020 10:22 am

Hi all

I have recently re-located from Ireland to the UK, but I am having trouble even starting the import process of my car. It turns out I need to apply for a certificate of Mutual Recognition, as the certificate of conformity of my car only shows mentions metric units.
As most of you know, we have a digital speedometer in the display between the analog rev counter and analog speedometer, which can be set to mph.

I have contacted a seat dealer and asked if they would be able to provide a written statement confirming that the digital speedometer is, permanently, re-programmed, through a standard feature of the vehicle, to display the vehicle speed in mph. This would be the proof the VCA needs in order to issue the certificate for me. Unfortunately the dealer has informed me that this change would not be permanent, so they cannot provide the statement.

I am a bit confused, because every time I start the car the digital speedometer is immediately visible and shows mph. Maybe he was referring to the change on a more technical level? In any case the same dealer could fit a mph analogue instrument cluster for around £900, which nearly gave me a small heart attack :|

Would any of you happen to know if this dealer is right in refusing to provide the written statement or should I try contact other garages? If so, which garage would you recommend? (can be any garage)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

theforestdweller

Re: Importing car into UK

Post by theforestdweller » Fri May 22, 2020 2:52 pm

I suggest you contact SEAT Customer Services in the first instance:

Customer Services Centre on 0808 5 222 222 between 8:30am - 5.30pm Monday to Friday.

I found then quite useful with a problem I had early on with my Arona ;)
Arona FR Sport 1.0 115ps - Arrived 05.03.2019

When the experts are agreed, the opposite opinion cannot be held to be certain (Bertrand Russell)

Brucie

Post by Brucie » Fri May 22, 2020 5:08 pm

theforestdweller wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:52 pm
I suggest you contact SEAT Customer Services in the first instance:

Customer Services Centre on 0808 5 222 222 between 8:30am - 5.30pm Monday to Friday.

I found then quite useful with a problem I had early on with my Arona ;)

I have been in contact with the customer service of Seat Ireland about it, but it seems they can't really help me.
"
You will need clarify will they accept the digital speedometer reading as being adequate for registering the vehicle in the UK.
We can’t give a statement that differs from the COC and the manufacture wont either unless it’s being modified in accordance with
their guidelines where possible.

At this time we cannot supply you with a written statement in contradiction to the COC as its not the case due to the main speedometer
in your vehicle displaying KMH.

We apologise we are unable to offer a more favourable outcome.
"
In any case I will contact the UK customer service on Monday to see if they can maybe suggest a solution. Thank you for the contact details :)

BigFatPaulie

Post by BigFatPaulie » Fri May 22, 2020 6:33 pm

we're all in the eu... Where's the problem ? are you sure you need to do anything ?
........M M M M My shARONA
Seat Arona Xcellance Lux 1.6 oil burner DSG

Brucie

Post by Brucie » Sat May 23, 2020 8:23 am

BigFatPaulie wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:33 pm
we're all in the eu... Where's the problem ? are you sure you need to do anything ?
I wish I didn't have to anything, it would make my life a whole lot easier :D

When I moved to Ireland two years ago, I also had to import my previous car, which was a left hand drive vehicle. I put beam deflectors on the lights myself and that was all I had to do for my car to be approved and get through the import process.
In the UK it feels like I have to get ten different certificates in order to even start the import process :?
Reminds me a lot of my home country :lol: