Wireless charger effectiveness?

All Seat Arona related discussions
Kugaman

Wireless charger effectiveness?

Post by Kugaman » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:27 pm

How do you get on with the wireless charger?

I had a long drive home after collecting my wifes car today.

Put my iphone 11 pro on the wireless charger. A message pops up to say it is charging the phone.

However, the battery percentage seems to just be maintained (bluetooth on for phonecalls but phone not being used) - the charge level seems to be maintained (was at 87%) - on an 8 hour drive it never went down.....but it never went up either!

I dont have this issue in my BMW, the wireless charger in that charges the phone up to 100%, no issues at all.

Apart from that and a bit more wind noise than expected from the top of the windscreen, its a very nice little car.
1.5 engine pulls pretty well and the dsg is smooth as silk. I spent most of the journey on cruise control at 70mph (ish😳) and averaged 49mpg - pretty good for a tight, new engine.
Wifes got an Arona 1.5 FR Sport DSG

Barty71

Re: Wireless charger effectiveness?

Post by Barty71 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:05 pm

I have an iphone 8 plus and I found with my wireless charger at home charges my phone much quicker if I remove the case. I can only assume the same applies in the. I can’t say I’ve tried the wireless charger on its own as I always have my phone connected to the usb c socket so that is also charging it
FR Sport
Mystery Blue
Black roof

Kugaman

Post by Kugaman » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:52 am

I thought the same, so mid journey I took it out of its case and tried it.

Same result, minimal charging, no increase.

Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:59 am

I have a Samsung S9 and it works well, takes it to 100%, but induction charging seems to make the phone very hot so prefer not to use it.

I just plug phone in (which you have to do with older versions of android auto to use maps anyway)

Try a different phone, or check the phone settings, might be some energy saver or battery life monitor turned on which restricts it, especially if it held battery at same percentage for 8 hours
Arona Xcelence Lux 115 tsi DSG monsoon grey with orange roof, leather and alcantara interior. Also have a Skoda Roomster.

MotorMan

Post by MotorMan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:20 am

Lots of earlier discussions if you search 'wireless charger' on this forum. Cable connection is my preference as the charger is very inefficient and slow to charge. Most energy seems to get dissipated as heat. It seems like a bit of a sales gimmick really.
Xcellence 115PS Red/ Black roof

Bonzo

Post by Bonzo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:38 am

I am alarmed how hot my phone (Samsung S20) gets,, so I don’t use it, it was the same on my previous phone the S9.
FR 115 with DSG. Desire red, black roof.

Kugaman

Post by Kugaman » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:02 pm

Cheers all.
Like I say it works perfectly fine in my BMW, just not so good in the wife’s Arona.

Shows it’s definitely not a phone issue- must be the charger!

Will get my wife to try her phone...

Jettabout

Post by Jettabout » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:35 pm

The other half was delighted to discover her new Arona had a phone charger as she is often left with a dead phone, only her phone doesn't have the necessary so it's back to the plug in lead.... :lol:

Dave.
Arona XL 115ps in Eclipse orange and black roof.
Ateca SE Tech 2.0ltr Tdi Rhodium Grey, mudflaps, spare wheel etc,etc.

BigFatPaulie

Post by BigFatPaulie » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:27 pm

In order to use android auto it HAS to use a cable..so I see little point in wireless charging at all in my car !
........M M M M My shARONA
Seat Arona Xcellance Lux 1.6 oil burner DSG