Replacing my 2019 Arona FR speakers and some information...

All Seat Arona related discussions
Sandman

Replacing my 2019 Arona FR speakers and some information...

Post by Sandman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:47 am

Hi All,

Beware, long description (-;

In general the Seat Arona has 4 different speakers output configuations:

1. 2 channel 4 speakers 2x20W , the infotainment send power to only 1 set of speakers at the front (2 tweeters connected in parallel to the front doors woofers).
2. 4 channel 6 speakers 4x20W, the infotainment send power to 6 speakers (2 front tweeters connected in parallel to the front 2 woofers).
3. 6 channel 6 speakers 6x20W, the MMI in the glove box send power to each speaker individualy (front tweeters high pass, front woofers low pass, rear speakers full range).
4. Beats audio, 7 speakers, 300W 8 channels amplifier.

My Arona has the 3rd configuration, each one of the 6 speakers is powered individualy from the MMI built in amplifier (in the glove box), the front tweeters and woofers are crossed over actively and the rear speakers receive full range signal.

I have a Focal IBUS2.1 powered subwoofer, the IBUS2.1 has a 2.1 built in amplifier so it can recieve stereo high level signal and power the built in woofer (75W) and send power to a stereo set of speakers (2x55W), I've connected the Focal sub to the MMI's front woofers high level outputs but because the tweeters and the woofers powered individualy (and crossed over electronicaly) I cannot connect the Focal so the Focal built in amp can power the front set altogether.

At this point I've decided to replace the front speakers with a Focal IS VW165 set of speakers which is a "drop in, plug and play" speakers but the thing is that the original tweeters are crossed over electronicaly (I don't know it's crossover point) and the Focal tweeters have an "in line" crossover (which is probably just a capacitor) so 1 option is to bypass the Focal's tweeters crossover so the tweeters will get the high pass signal from the MMI electronic crossover.

option 2 is just to connect the Focal's crossover without bypassing it so the tweeter will be "crossed over twice", first the MMI electronic cross over and second from the Focal passive crossover but the thing is that I don't know the crossover points so there is a possibilty that there will be a "hole" in the transition between the Focal woofer and the tweeter.

3rd option (and here is my question ) is to alter the MMI speakers outputs and crossover configuration so the MMI will send full range signal to all the 4 front set speakers, does anybody knows if it's possible and how can I do it?

The attached photo is the speakers output configuration of my Arona MMI Quadloc connector.
The marked red is the front woofers output
The marked blue is the tweeters output
The marked yellow is the rear full range door speakers output.

Thanks

IMG_0678.jpg

Meander1

Re: Replacing my 2019 Arona FR speakers and some information...

Post by Meander1 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:20 am

WHY BOTHER. ???

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:22 am

Meander1 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:20 am
WHY BOTHER. ???
Why not? (-; better sound?

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:50 pm

Hi sandman,

I’ve been thinking about upgrading the speakers on my arona for a while but I have to admit your initial post has lost me haha.

Im absolutely clueless when it comes to electronics but I have had my eye on the focal replacement speakers that you mentioned and have thought about having an under seat subwoofer fitted by a professional.

If you do fit the focal speakers could you take some pics and let me know how you get on?

The only bit I’m a bit hesitant about is removing the A pillar trim to fit the tweeters.
1.0 FR Sport Mystery Blue

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:49 am

Ash wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:50 pm
Hi sandman,

I’ve been thinking about upgrading the speakers on my arona for a while but I have to admit your initial post has lost me haha.

Im absolutely clueless when it comes to electronics but I have had my eye on the focal replacement speakers that you mentioned and have thought about having an under seat subwoofer fitted by a professional.

If you do fit the focal speakers could you take some pics and let me know how you get on?

The only bit I’m a bit hesitant about is removing the A pillar trim to fit the tweeters.
Removing the A pillars trim is easy, just pull it.
To be honest after installing the subwoofer the sound got much better to a point that was was thinking maybe just to leave it this way without changing the front speakers but as I know myself very well I will change the front speakers at some point and keep you posted.