Sat nav updates

All Seat Arona related discussions
Uncletone

Re: Sat nav updates

Post by Uncletone » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Hello my friend

Thanks for the prompt reply .

In the first instance I just formatted so I don't know anything about FAT32 I can just copy the original "maps" as they appear on the Card back onto it and it works fine But no amount of copying pasting seems to work in any format..

But I did unzip the file using 7zip but didn't unzip to the card I put it in a separate folder first. I wonder if that is the issue.

So I'm going to try that and then copy the "overall.nds file to the SD Card or do I need to add it to the EEC Folder?

Thanks for your help its much appreciated

Tone
It Only Beaks When I Fix It

Arona 1.0 SE TECH Nevada White

GazzaB

Post by GazzaB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:46 pm

I've tried a cloned SD card.
It does not see the Map data.
So what is different from my car to the SEAT card is the Question.

tempted to buy a second card from eBay and update and try that.
Arona Excellence Lux 1.0TSi 115PS DSG. Nevada White with Black Roof, OEM dark window tint, Fitted a Carbon Fibre look rear Bumper Guard. Pressed Metal Number plates with Carbon fibre plate holder.
Planning to Do: Sound Deadening.

AronaKent

Post by AronaKent » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:54 pm

Uncletone wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:02 pm
Hello my friend

Thanks for the prompt reply .

In the first instance I just formatted so I don't know anything about FAT32 I can just copy the original "maps" as they appear on the Card back onto it and it works fine But no amount of copying pasting seems to work in any format..

But I did unzip the file using 7zip but didn't unzip to the card I put it in a separate folder first. I wonder if that is the issue.

So I'm going to try that and then copy the "overall.nds file to the SD Card or do I need to add it to the EEC Folder?

Thanks for your help its much appreciated

Tone
The original Overall.nds file from your backup needs to replace/overwrite the new Overall.nds file. So it needs to go in MAPS/EEC/EEC_WLD.
2018(68) Arona SE Technology, 1.0 95ps TSI Manual. All silver - Full LED Headlights :idea:

AronaKent

Post by AronaKent » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:01 pm

GazzaB wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:46 pm
I've tried a cloned SD card.
It does not see the Map data.
So what is different from my car to the SEAT card is the Question.

tempted to buy a second card from eBay and update and try that.
Not really sure what the point is now. We know it only works with the original SD card and how to backup the original map files etc.

Every time there's a new update i'll just copy the SD card contents to my laptop and then unzip the new update to the card. If I need to go back to an old update, then i'll have the files on my laptop ready to put back on the SD card.
2018(68) Arona SE Technology, 1.0 95ps TSI Manual. All silver - Full LED Headlights :idea:

stottycabanas

Post by stottycabanas » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:20 pm

AronaKent, you are quite right. I reckon the map card provided by SEAT has been specially formatted to work with the mapping software. If you delete the files on it (having taken a backup!) & replace with updated ones, then you should be OK.

However, if you reformat the original card, you're probably screwed and may need your dealer to help you out - sorry Uncletone. Likewise, if you try to use another card, it won't work because it won't have the SEAT formatting.
Arona Xcellence Lux 1.0L 115PS DSG Desire Red/Midnight Black

Uncletone

Post by Uncletone » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 am

Hi Aronakent & stottycabanas

Thanks for your comments its much appreciated. I know I can be a bit of a Luddite but I am reasonably Savvy and no matter what I copy paste add delte I cannot get the thing to work.

The only saving grace is that I saved my original Map and at least when I add that at least that still works.

Looks like I may have to go cap in hand to my dealer and see if he can update it for me. If not looks like I'm stuck with the 0915 Version

Once again guys thanks for all your help and I wish I hadn't followed SEAT,s Directions and Formatted the SD Card. At least I formatted to 32FATS

Tone

AronaKent

Post by AronaKent » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:59 am

Formatting the original card won’t be the problem. Seat’s update instructions even say that you can format the card and given that your original maps still work on it then this would confirm that.

https://www.seat.com/owners/your-seat/n ... ystem.html

On your card, Tone. Is the first folder called ‘maps’ followed by 2 folders, one of which is EEC?

Uncletone

Post by Uncletone » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:22 am

Hi Aronakent,

Yes, my original map 0915 version, which I copied onto my hard drive in a separate folder has the following:

maps - then there are two folders "00" & "EEC"
in the "00" folder there are the following file folders: cfg, ldb, nds, ra, sds now these are showing that they have been modified: 19.09.2017 & 06.01.2019 !!!
In the "EEC" folder there is a "EEC_WLD" folder and a "NDS" File titled PRODUCT.NDS modified 19/09/2017
In the "EEC_WLD" file are two "NDS" files, "BMD,NDS" and "OVERALL.NDS" All these files were modified dates of 19/09/2017

I've downloaded the Zip files from the SEAT Site both the Europe 1115 version Update and it looks like those files were updated/modified on the 06.01.2019 and it has exactly same files and folders as my original "maps folder"

maps -" 00" with the following folders in cfg, ldb, nds, ra,sds, with modified dates of 07.06.2018 & 06.01.2019
and in the "EEC" folder there is the "EEC_WLD" folder with a date it was modified of 06.01.2019 & a "BMD.NDS and a "OVERALL.NDS" file showing a modified date of 07.06.2018
And then there is the "PRODUCT.NDS" file with a modified date of 07.06.2018

It looks like my original Maps Folder 0915 version has been modified, but it still works. but I cannot get the 1115 Version Update to do anything except say Navigation Data Not Available

I'm curious how some of my original folders appear to be modified?

I have also downloaded the Europe 5 Map which has the 1120 Version on it which I would have liked to use as it gives me the maps of Europe I need, but for the time being I would just like to update my current map.

So at present I have a Blank SD Card and on my Hard Drive I have the Original 0915 Version and in another folder I have the 1115 Version both Zipped & Unzipped and in another folder I have the Europe 5 1120 Version again Zipped & Unzipped

I hope there isn't too much info but if you can advise help i@ll be extremely grateful

Thanks Tone

AronaKent

Post by AronaKent » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:52 pm

I would start again.

Download the zip files from Seat and then extract them straight to the SD card. Extracting them to your had disk and then copying them to your SD card should work too but I only extracted straight to SD card so can only go on what I did, which worked.

*Note - when extracting or copying the new files to your card make sure the SD card is completly emtpty (no files on it at all)

Then navigate to your backup, 0915, and copy the overall.nds file from it and then paste it over the top of the overall.nds file on your newly updated maps on your SD card. You will get a warning that you are overwriting the file, this is fine.

That really is all there is to it.

Make sure you lock the SD card again prior to putting it into your car, although I’m not sure that would make any difference either.

Keep me posted

Uncletone

Post by Uncletone » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:37 am

Hi AronaKent

Thank you, at last it works.

I did exactly as stated, Downloaded the Map Updates to the Hard Drive, Unzipped them to the Empty SD Card and the COPIED & PASTED the "Overall.NDS File" to the SD Card in the "EEC_WLD Folder" and that was it. We now have Navigation.

I think where I went wrong it may be a simple as I may have had a corrupted a file, I don't know. But in reality I believe it was an error on my part not fully understanding the workings of simply transferring files.

Originally I only moved the "Overall.NDS File" to the EEC_WLD Folder by right clicking on the mouse and dragging it to the Folder, I didn't Copy and Paste it, so I didn't get the request to replace/overwrite the file, and that is where I think I went wrong.

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time and having the patience to answer my posts and educate a Luddite. When you read posts on Forums or How Too's, to many people it looks easy, that is if you have an understanding of the terminology used. But if like me, it can seem a little foggy reading through the post and its probably difficult for those savvy to understand, why some of us have difficulty performing simple tasks. I'm sure there are many more like me.
But when someone just highlights it and give you step by step instructions as to how its done its easy, And that's exactly what you've done.

Give me a box of spanners and I can strip and rebuild your car, diagnose the problems and repair it. But understand the difference between drag and drop to copy and paste or unzip files on a computer.....forget it.

So I say to you again many many thanks, I've learnt something today.

Enjoy your week

Tone

Return to “Main Seat Arona chat”