Superchip Bluefin available

All Seat Arona related discussions
russmw

Superchip Bluefin available

Post by russmw » Thu May 02, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi all,

With my Arona due to arrive at the Seat dealer in 3 weeks I've started to look at tweaks and discovered the Arona 1.0 TS 115 has the Superchip bluefin available for it (wasn't listed 2 months ago so don't know when it was added).

https://www.mybluefin.co.uk/search?make ... riant=3980

This boosts the power by 18 bhp and 25nm so should be a noticeable improvement. Unlike the tuning boxes that connect between various sensors in the engine and tweak sensor figures to fool the ECU the bluefin is a proper re-map so in theory safer (as safe as any remap ever is).

The cost is £399 so quite high and can be added\removed by yourself easily,

Russell
Arona 115 TSI FR (black body & roof)
1982 Porsche 924 here to stay

Bonzo

Re: Superchip Bluefin available

Post by Bonzo » Thu May 02, 2019 3:12 pm

Sounds good but can the clutch and drive chain handle that amount of extra torque and BHP?
I suppose time will tell.
FR 115 with DSG

Viffer

Post by Viffer » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:51 pm

I am on my third vehicle with a Superchips Bluefin remap. The latest being a new (to me) Arona 115PS FR Sport with the Bluefin installed today.

Not as noticeable a difference as on my Ford Fiesta 140ps petrol or even more so the Ford Focus TDCi that was sold to get the Arona. The improvement on diesels is definitely more pronounced so not entirely apples with apples comparing that particular car.

Anyway, back to the Arona. I can tell it's more responsive and comfortable pulling in a higher gear. Especially in Sports mode. I don't drive my cars like a I stole them so think the real world driving improvement shouldn't be too much of a strain on the clutch etc. Time will tell
Blue/Blue FR Sport 2018 115PS

Technician

Post by Technician » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:29 pm

Don't forget to tell your insurance company, remapping is considered a modification so they would need to be informed. A good excuse to up your premium next time round !

stormeagle

Post by stormeagle » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:26 pm

I checked this out with Honest John - their view was that the DSG box was on the ragged edge handling the existing power, and therefore upping the power with this box was courting trouble.
I decided not to go for it.

Viffer

Post by Viffer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Bluefin declared to insurer (Aviva). Their underwriters were happy to accept the modification.

Just had to tell them the supplier, price, pre and post upgrade bhp and torque figures.

Technician

Post by Technician » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:43 am

Here's how I see speed mods. I enjoy cycling, just bought myself a new electric bike and it's pretty fast as it happens. If I wanted to I could increase it's speed by 30% just by changing to a higher voltage battery, wouldn't harm the motor at all. The problem is it would harm everything else, I would need to upgrade the whole electronic control system to safely handle the extra power. End of the day I might as well get a more powerful bike and be done with it. If you're planning on changing your car within a couple of years then I'd say go ahead, however if you're in for the long haul consider the long term effects of the extra stress on the vehicle.

Viffer

Post by Viffer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:47 pm

I said I didn't get it remapped primarily for speed so if I was ragging it everywhere (I don't) I could understand your comments. The modification enables me to hold a higher gear when in town (I live and drive mostly in one) and have a bit more oomph when I need it for overtaking.

And as for the insurance. The increase on the Fiesta was only £38 and I actually got a £39 refund when I swapped to the remapped/modified Arona from a 2004 15yo car.

You're obviously (or is it apparently?) not a fan of this type of mod or unduly cautious thinking it is a bad idea for everybody. #horsesforcourses

Technician

Post by Technician » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:30 pm

I'm pretty much neutral on the whole thing, there was a time I would flash the firmware on my mobile phones regularly for speed improvements.
Of course the next phone upgrade brought improvements of it's own anyway, and I felt like a kind of guinea pig pushing the limits and testing out ideas for manufacturers to implement next time round. I've no doubt SEAT will do the same thing in it's own way.
What would concern me is if the car had an electronics fault that required the ECU to be re-flashed SEAT service would only use stock firmware, so you would find yourself back where you started. I can't see it covered by warranty either so it would sure worry me.

Viffer

Post by Viffer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:38 pm

I get the manufacturer's warranty thing but Superchips prove a warranty of sorts related to the effect of their ECU remap. See https://www.mybluefin.co.uk/s/bluefin-warranty

On the issue of a revision to the standard map after a service for example you simply re-upload the new stock software to Superchips and they issue a revision for the Bluefin. See https://www.mybluefin.co.uk/s/faq-s

FWIW, I've been using remaps from Superchips via Bluefin for nearly 15 years starting with providing a donor vehicle for a particular engine variant. The ECU was removed from the vehicle and a new map developed with it on the engineer's desk. Everybody who drove that vehicle could not believe the difference from stock. That car was still going strong for the 15 years until I traded it in recently.

I should stress that I have absolutely no affiliation with the company but I do have a strong affinity for, and confidence in their product. :)

But as I said above. Horses for courses
Last edited by Viffer on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.