Seat Arona Forum banner

First road trip in the Arona

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  luzvimindad 
#1 ·
Hi,

Having just got back from a 4 day trip to Devon and the first family trip in the car since receiving it I thought a small review maybe of use to others. I got the car at the end of May and covering just shy of 2k miles as we set off so the engine was run in and I've had zero issues with the car during this time.

My family consist of a fairly standard 2 adults and 2 teenage children plus a small dog so the packing included a large suitcase, 2 travel cases, large dog crate, dog bed, bag of supplies plus coats\shoes which all fitted nicely in the boot, This was a nice surprise as I've always had some doubt over the capability of the boot vs my 3 series I had previously.

All loaded up the car pulled happily and on the total drive from Oxford to Devon averaged 59mpg (actually 65 until we hit the a roads in Devon). Over the 4 days there we hit the standard tourist spots and quite often via small backroads so I was quite frequently going through the gears which the Arona coped well with. I used a mix of the built in satnav which worked well but I find the destination search is slow so frequently used google maps through android auto which again was faultless.

I covered just shy of 450 over the 4 days and averaged 49mpg over the complete journey. Only one issue was all of us found the seats gave a bit of a numb bum after driving for over 2 hours which I never experienced in the BMW but its only a small niggle.

Photos of the car fully loaded & filthy the day we headed back :)

Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
Another weekend away and the Arona coming into its own this time.

My wife had arranged for us to go camping with her family for one night on the south west coast. Some of you may have seen that various music events were cancelled for this weekend due to the wind and rain forecast - the very same weekend we were camping :eek:

Again the car swallowed everything up in terms of required kit and the journey was fine. Soon as we got there it was clear the tent would take a battering in the wind as it came off the coast and through the flat, open camp site and sure enough once the tent was up and secured it was bending, flexing and occasionally collapsing in part .I decided along with my youngest son at this point what we should consider going home but my wife and eldest son wanted to stay so time to put the Arona to use.

Laying down the rear seat, removing the parcel shelf and pushing the front seats all the way forward made a great sleeping space for myself and my youngest son in the back. It was surprisingly comfy, warm and dry although if I fully stretched out I did have to put my feet over the top of the armrest but worked really well!

#6 ·
Useful to hear of your first long trip experiences. Like you I'm well impressed at the boot capacity. In my previous A1 our 2 larger suitcases would only fit with the rear seats folded but the Arona swallows them with ease without folding the rear seats.

We've not covered a long journey yet but the seats even In the Xcellence version do feel a tad harder than the 'sports' seats of the A1.

#7 ·
russmw said:
Another weekend away and the Arona coming into its own this time.

My wife had arranged for us to go camping with her family for one night on the south west coast. Some of you may have seen that various music events were cancelled for this weekend due to the wind and rain forecast - the very same weekend we were camping :eek:

Again the car swallowed everything up in terms of required kit and the journey was fine. Soon as we got there it was clear the tent would take a battering in the wind as it came off the coast and through the flat, open camp site and sure enough once the tent was up and secured it was bending, flexing and occasionally collapsing in part .I decided along with my youngest son at this point what we should consider going home but my wife and eldest son wanted to stay so time to put the Arona to use.

Laying down the rear seat, removing the parcel shelf and pushing the front seats all the way forward made a great sleeping space for myself and my youngest son in the back. It was surprisingly comfy, warm and dry although if I fully stretched out I did have to put my feet over the top of the armrest but worked really well!
I think it is awesome useful camping style. :cool: One day, i must do it with my family.

#8 · (Edited)
Thank you for sharing your traveling experience with us, russmw! You were lucky with your bagage, haha. Well if you go for the next summer trip, I suggest you stop somewhere near the lake with your family and set up the camp. I bet you will like it as much as I do, don't forget to get a good mosquito spray and flashlights, they can be helpful during nighttime. Let me know if you are unfamiliar with taking these kinds of trips. I will be glad to help you buy all the necessary gear, so reach me in private messages anytime you get any questions, buddy! Have a great day, buddy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.