No petrol or diesel from 2030.

The place to discuss everything else..
MotorMan

No petrol or diesel from 2030.

Post by MotorMan » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:43 am

I'd be interested to hear forum member's views on the government announcement to ban all new petrol and diesel cars from 2030. Not that far into the future really to make such a radical shift which will impact on all of us. Presumably petrol stations will be replaced with charging stations a bit like blacksmiths disappeared as horses were superseded by the internal combustion engine. Could take a while though.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the shift to quiet motors, flat interior floors, no gearboxes, simpler mechanics and home charging to name just a few but I can also see the other side of the coin if you don't have a garage/drive for charging and of course the thorny issue of charging on longer journeys. The main downer for me is the exorbitant surcharge that is currently charged at present. Presumably all these downside will have been addressed by 2030? What do you think?
Xcellence 115PS Red/ Black roof

Christian6984

Re: No petrol or diesel from 2030.

Post by Christian6984 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:35 pm

I think the infrastructure has a long way to go. And as you say what are the options for those without drives who park as the side of the street and cannot have cables draped across pavements. I think the electric car has come along way if you think back to the G-whizz/ Think City etc. Nissan Leaf etc was probably one that saw them available to the public at and ill use the term loosely 'relatively affordable' level.

Tesla was the one that caught my eye in terms of an usable range similar to that of a petrol car if you exclude the roadster I think it was (was based on an Elise), They are however a lot of money, and although very clever and some look better than others in terms of style I do find the interior a bit of a let down. I think other manufacturers are getting closer to matching their range.

The price is the biggest factor that would hold me back right now, The Mini-E is £30k and when you can get a Cooper model for £20k, The electric one claims a range of around 110 miles and the petrol one I had did around 300-350 miles a tank (small tank could only ever get about £30 in). Also what will happen to electricity prices when we start using less petrol and more electric? I'm sure the government will want a cut.

Toyota and Honda have been working on Hydrogen for some years and they seem good ideas but we don't have many stations for them over here. Mercedes in Germany has the GLC F-Cell which is Hydrogen/Plug in Electric which I like the option of because you wouldn't rely on Electricity only. This is why currently i think a Petrol Plug in Hybrid would be my choice currently were I to move away from Petrol/Diesel.

Hopefully as more development goes on in regards to the technology of electric cars we see the prices of them fall. I'm sure Manufacturers will be spending frightening amounts of money on R+D at the moment

lfcman

Post by lfcman » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:51 pm

The charging points or lack of is going to be a massive problem to overcome.The amount of available points in Liverpool at the moment is pretty dire.Would be a start if all the supermarkets started installing some for example.

tommo

Post by tommo » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:59 pm

Electric/ Hydrogen cars are not emission free,there is a cost to Earth's recourses,rare metals for batteries,Hydrogen production uses a tremendous amount of energy,petrol and diesel will plod on for years past the (optamistic) 2030 deadline.As we all know petrol/diesel engines are much cleaner and efficient,if governements were serious about climate/ emissions they would legislate against engines above 1.0 ltrs which would have a huge impact.Then there is the purchase price of electric vehicles, at present north of £30,000 in lots of cases plus lack of range and the treasury will cash in on the electricity used to charge,smart meters will provide the info
Arona FR 1.0 ltr 115ps, Manual gerabox, Desire Red / Grey roof

lfcman

Post by lfcman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:24 am

The new hatch backs from VW and Honda are excellent but 30 odd grand for one,dream on Boris !!.

tommo

Post by tommo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:05 pm

I hope the electric car revolution won't turn into the farce when the government encouraged people to buy diesels then all of a sudden they were demonised,I am not anti electric I just don't subscribe to all the claims of how "green" they are to produce and run,I have seen reports stating the batteries don't have the lifespan claimed by the makers so would you buy a three year old E car.Eventually drivers of internal combustion engines will be taxed off the road,not allowed in city centres etc,I'll get saving up for my glorified milk float ;) :lol:

BigFatPaulie

Post by BigFatPaulie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:29 pm

It's all cobblers.... Massively more harmful to the planet, I'd imagine they want the oil for the military... Won't be many electric fighters !
........M M M M My shARONA
Seat Arona Xcellance Lux 1.6 oil burner DSG

tommo

Post by tommo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:59 am

I'll take the 6.0ltr V12 please Boris https://www.carwow.co.uk/mercedes/news/ ... lease-date ;)