Seat Arona Forum banner

Audi Q2

15K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  BlueBoy68 
#1 ·
Somewhat surprised that so many on this site are buying a top of the range Arona, when for the same price they could have a 1year old Audi Q2, which is a better car, and will hold its value.
Don't get me wrong, I bought a one year old Arona, at £4000 less than the current list price, and it is fine, but to spend more than £17k on a new one is madness.

#2 ·
When I ordered by Arona (April 2018) you couldn't get an Audi Q2 for less than about £25k, and was nearer £27k for any with decent equipment list.

I was looking for petrol autos, even visited West London Audi (with their multi tier showroom) and salesman tried to convince me in quite upper crust way that diesel was much better, (because they had unwanted diesels, but had sold out of petrols). So Audi was struck off as a brand for employing annoying staff who cared more about their sharp suits, and don't listen to customers.

I too chose the Arona, got a brand new one, and got a >£3000 cash equivalent discount, and I can go on autoTrader today and find used Xcelence Lux DSGs for more than I paid. So must be holding its value for now.

#3 ·
Hi
I too looked at the Audi Q2 and on paper it looks a good price until you look at the extras required to match the Arona puts it up to £26000 !
No sat Nav No LED headlights and if you look at Audi comments the interior trim is basic compared to other Audi's
But my main reason for not buying it was the terrible rear visibility due to the small window and large rear side panels
Plus it was not as high off the ground as the Arona and the easy access is what i wanted

#4 ·
I was so up for an Audi Q2 (current car is an A3), but after watching a few reviews I went for the Xcellence Lux. At around £23k, I think the same spec would cost about £30k on a Q2. My new Arona turned up at the dealers yesterday (all black - just like a Q2), but not picking it up until March.

#6 ·
Hi Gingee. You say your car is at the dealership now but you don't want it until March. My car is arriving in March and would be ready for pick up on the 30th. I asked if I could have it on the 1st April so not to waste a hole month of car tax. The sales rep told me that under Seat rules the car has to be delivered to the customer the same month it arrives at the dealership. Do you think He's having me on?

#7 ·
Pjldecor,
Ask your dealer to tax the car for a year and a week, that way you will preserve the 12 months tax. Mine was registered on the 28th of Jan 2018 and I picked it up on the 2nd of Feb. The tax lasted until the end of Jan 2019.
I know it is annoying but remember wasting £12 in the purchase of a new car is not significant!

#8 ·
Pjldecor said:
Hi Gingee. You say your car is at the dealership now but you don't want it until March. My car is arriving in March and would be ready for pick up on the 30th. I asked if I could have it on the 1st April so not to waste a whole month of car tax. The sales rep told me that under Seat rules the car has to be delivered to the customer the same month it arrives at the dealership. Do you think He's having me on?
A brand new car can be taxed for upto 53 weeks, which goes back to the days of having to physically obtain the disc for the windscreen prior to drive away

More likely is that if you don't collect until 1st April, it will go in the books as April so won't count towards the salesman's 1st Quarter sales which may affect any sales related pay bonus.

Mine arrived last few days of a month, and they held it for 2 weeks as I was going away. not a problem.

Of course if you have a part exchange 30 March is better, because you can go online and stop tax for old car before you reach April (too short a time to do manual forms though)

#9 ·
gingee said:
I was so up for an Audi Q2 (current car is an A3), but after watching a few reviews I went for the Xcellence Lux. At around £23k, I think the same spec would cost about £30k on a Q2. My new Arona turned up at the dealers yesterday (all black - just like a Q2), but not picking it up until March.
£23 k for an Arona seems a lot of cash for a car that will depreciate much more than an Audi. If you spent the same amount on a 1 year old Audi, in 3 years time which car would be worth more? OK, I know the Arona has lots more superfluous kit (why are led headlights so important anyway?), but buying a top of the range but mass market car is just chucking money away.

#10 ·
I didn't even consider the Audi when looking for a new vehicle, it's not as good looking as the arona in my opinion also I hate the brand snobbery attached to Audi.

Having had a car with xenon headlights and going to a car with halogen headlights you realise how much better the xenon were for driving at night so for me when looking for a new car xenon or led headlights were a must have which instantly ruled a few cars out.

#11 ·
People are different, Cars are different. Each to there own.

Personally, I find the Q2 an ugly car. Wouldn't have got one if it was cheaper than the Arona.

0% over 4 years was a big attraction for buying brand new for me, plus the affordability of PCP monthly payments. I don't have £20,000 lying around and to buy a 1 year old with finance would spending £1,500 upwards on interest.

I did my research, and certainly haven't thrown away money by buying new. Maybe others have, Potato....Tomato :D

2 weeks in and loving my Arona.

#12 ·
Hi,
My current car is an Audi Q2 Sport and I am eagerly awaiting collection of my new Arona on 1st/2nd March (FR Sport).
Can't wait to offload the Q2 as the level of equipment is awful, the standard lights are so dim that I keep checking if they are on.
So many small annoyances on the Audi Q2. When comparing the cars, make sure to add up all the equipment that is standard on the Arona and the Q2 will be over 7K more expensive.

#13 ·
My brother in law has a Q2 and the interior is far inferior to the Arona unless you are going for sport line spec. Overpriced, same as the T-roc.......now the Q3 is a different story ( although my boss had a major transmission failure on her 6 month old Q3 quatro).

#15 ·
mrtpe465 said:
Hi,
My current car is an Audi Q2 Sport and I am eagerly awaiting collection of my new Arona on 1st/2nd March (FR Sport).
Can't wait to offload the Q2 as the level of equipment is awful, the standard lights are so dim that I keep checking if they are on.
So many small annoyances on the Audi Q2. When comparing the cars, make sure to add up all the equipment that is standard on the Arona and the Q2 will be over 7K more expensive.
When I booked a test drive in the Q2 the interior was so dark and cold hardly see out of the back window and the Big blind spot due to the Large rear side panels created a blind spot for over the shoulder viewing
And has you say the SE is basic and you have to go up to the S Line to get any kit and even then no folding mirrors

#16 ·
Wowzz said:
gingee said:
£23 k for an Arona seems a lot of cash for a car that will depreciate much more than an Audi. If you spent the same amount on a 1 year old Audi, in 3 years time which car would be worth more? OK, I know the Arona has lots more superfluous kit (why are led headlights so important anyway?), but buying a top of the range but mass market car is just chucking money away.
Residual wise the Arona is close to a Q2, Audi no longer have the residual values they once did, SEAT actually match Audi residuals in some model/trim.

Q2 does not have climate as standard older infotainment system and a more basic standard spec. Add in the fact that on finance the Arona works out cheaper per month especially with the current zero percent. The Q2 with the same engine and a lower spec worked out £80 a month more for me, before even adding in metallic paint standard on the Arona.

Q2 is better made overall especially against the lower end of the Arona range interior wise. However, the badge is not quite what it once was... At least driving a SEAT you don't get people assuming you are a 'dick.' :lol:

#17 ·
Interesting replies - I may have been a little unwise in choosing an Audi as a comparative choice! Personally, I still do not believe any Arona is worth £23k, when there are so many other 1 year old vehicles out there for a lower figure. How about a Mazda CX5 for example?
And, buying a car on PCP is a dangerous road to go down. I know Seat are offering 0%, but so much depends on residual costs that it make me nervous. I can get a bank loan for 3% - gives me much more freedom and flexibility for relatively little cost.

#18 ·
Wowzz said:
Interesting replies - I may have been a little unwise in choosing an Audi as a comparative choice! Personally, I still do not believe any Arona is worth £23k, when there are so many other 1 year old vehicles out there for a lower figure. How about a Mazda CX5 for example?
And, buying a car on PCP is a dangerous road to go down. I know Seat are offering 0%, but so much depends on residual costs that it make me nervous. I can get a bank loan for 3% - gives me much more freedom and flexibility for relatively little cost.
Fair comment, for me residual value doesn't matter, I've had my current car 10 years and as long as the arona isn't a nightmare to live with I'll stick with it for another 10 by which time it won't be worth a lot any way so for me the offer of 0% worked out in my favour.

#19 ·
RV values between the Arona and Q2 are basically the same. The Q2 costs more and therefore has a higher figure but the percentage almost the same. I'm getting a much higher spec Arona for over £5000 less than the cost of my Q2. The current offers of 0% finance are a very tempting offer, something that Audi will not offer.

#20 ·
Wowzz said:
It sounds to me like the entire premise of your argument isn't Arona vs Q2, but rather new vs used?

There are many reasons why people choose to buy new. Personally, I prefer to know the history of my car, how it has been driven and whether or not it has hidden damage/repairs. I wouldn't buy a used car personally. That is my choice and I'm happy to pay a premium for it.

As for the Arona not being worth £23k... things are worth exactly what people are willing to pay for them. The rather impressive sales performance of the Arona would suggest the pricing is correct. I'm very happy to have paid £22k for my Arona.

Why do you say that PCP is risky? The monthly, final payment and total payable are known upfront, there are no surprises. If the car is worth less than the final payment, you hand it back, if it's worth more, you sell it. It couldn't be simpler.

Finally, if people like us didn't buy new, you wouldn't be able to buy used. ;)

#21 ·
Wowzz said:
Perhaps another way of looking at it, is why are there so many 1 year old cars out there for sale.
The average person does not offload a car after 12 months if they like it, they only get rid of ones they don't like early

I have never come across anyone leasing for a year.
Some may be ex rentals where they have a policy of changing the cars quite early, a few may be demonstrators that a dealership has held for a year, but where are remainder coming from, perhaps cars rejected due to faults.

I have hired quite a few cars on my travels, but never seen a Q2 lined up in the rows of cars, even at airport sites with dozens of cars awaiting pick up and drop off, so I suspect the ex rental is small. Does this simply mean the ones out there are overpriced and take ages to sell.

A quick look at Autotrader (excluding brand new) shows 208 Arona for sale, but 508 Q2 for sale, so two and a half times as many used ones. Of course the Q2 has been on sale longer, but not a good reason for so many more than a mass market car like the Arona. Implies the Q2 doesn't sell easily used.

#22 ·
I suppose that as as been said, the argument is really about new versus old, or slightly used. I just have a problem buying a new car, when I know that the moment I drive it off the forecourt I will have lost thousands of pounds, whereas buying a 12 month old car, with 4000 miles on the clock (the Arona I am now driving) means that the original owner has taken the financial hit.

#23 ·
Wowzz said:
I suppose that as as been said, the argument is really about new versus old, or slightly used. I just have a problem buying a new car, when I know that the moment I drive it off the forecourt I will have lost thousands of pounds, whereas buying a 12 month old car, with 4000 miles on the clock (the Arona I am now driving) means that the original owner has taken the financial hit.
This is true to a degree but the last 2 times I've bought a new car (the Arona was one), the cost of a new one with discounts was pretty much the same as a nearly new one.

OK, I might have saved around £800 if I'd gone nearly new but I think getting one that you want and being the first owner, knowing it hasn't got any 'history' is certainly worth the extra few quid.

#24 ·
I think the calculation really depends on how long you are going to keep your car. If you change it every few years then nearly new will offer significant savings over brand new over the years. If you hang on to your car for longer periods (5+ years) then the difference in depreciation goes away and having a car on which you have put every mile on the clock counts for a lot.
If you find a good, reliable car that you like driving then it is definitely worth hanging on to it for as long as is practical.
Personally I feel that the only way that car ownership makes any kind of financial sense is to have a succession of cheap bangers which you drive to the scrapyard after a few short years or to own from new and keep that until it is close to being ready for the scrapyard.
Changing the car every few years and paying interest on a permanent car loan seems to be the worst of all worlds except, perhaps, PCP.

#25 ·
It's interesting to read all the various responses. As with most things in life, everyone's circumstances in life are different, so there is no right or wrong. My preference is to buy nearly new, low mileage models, and change every 4 years or so. I pay cash, plus part exchange, so, depreciation aside, I am not paying interest on any loan, although theoretically I know that I am losing interest income on the cash element of the car purchase.

#26 ·
Wowzz said:
It's interesting to read all the various responses. As with most things in life, everyone's circumstances in life are different, so there is no right or wrong. My preference is to buy nearly new, low mileage models, and change every 4 years or so. I pay cash, plus part exchange, so, depreciation aside, I am not paying interest on any loan, although theoretically I know that I am losing interest income on the cash element of the car purchase.
Agree it is all about personal choice and circumstances. If I was a cash buyer it would always be nearly new, finance then you do have to look at the interest rates. More often than not a new car works out cheaper than nearly new simply due to the often subsidised interest rates.

One final point about Audi that along with VW are proving to be less reliable than Skoda and SEAT statistically. An example is a friend has had to have an entire new brake system on a 2017 Q5 replaced - it was in the garage for a month. My Arona has been 100% reliable, no squeaks or rattles over the last 10 months either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.