Seat Arona Forum banner

Arona FR Sport

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DomesticExtremist 
#1 ·
Hello guys! I've got an FR Sport on order, due early December. Blue with black roof. I've gone for the 1.6 TDI as I expect to do >25k per year and wanted good economy for my long commute. Tweakbox

Reviews and experience of the 115 1.6 TDI unit are few and far between on the web with most being of the TSI unit. What are your experiences with the engine and typical mpg? Appvalley

Also, what is the ride and handling like on the FR Sport with stiffer springs and bigger wheels? I'm coming from a golf R estate so I can't imagine it'll be much different as that is fairly refined on 18's? https://vlc.onl/

Thank you!

#2 ·
I had a Yeti with the 1.6TDi engine.

Pleasant enough unit, 50mpg average in the Yeti, so expect a bit more in the lighter lower Arona. I could get 60mpg, but too boring for words, suspect 55mpg likely...

Punchy enough unit, quite refined, but the Petrol is virtually silent around town, I don't miss the Diesel at all, as it's less flexible and more vibratory, but at 25k a year, I would bow to the sheer economics like you did!

The ride in normal mode is fine, it's an engaging little thing to drive, more 'fun' than your Golf as it's lighter and just more flickable (well the TSi is anyway...) despite the yawning chasm in outright performance, which you never got you use much anyway I guess!

It'll be fine. Plenty of lovely modern stuff inside and a good little chassis...

#3 ·
Hi, I can't speak for the 115 TDI but I do have the 95TDI in my SE Tech.
It has taken a while to come up to full power, only 1700 miles on the clock and it is still improving in torque and MPG.
Also, I previously had a 1.9 SDI unit which drove and felt quite different- having plenty of torque under relatively gentle acceleration, the TDI needs you to blip the throttle to get the turbo to kick in, otherwise gentle acceleration is very slow indeed.
ATM I can get well over 60 MPG on 50-60 A road style motoring (best so far is 67), however on motorway driving it drops to the mid to low 50s, depending on how hard I drive it. I think fifth gear on my one is a little too over geared for "economy" which means accelerating is hard work and fuel hungry.
That being said I am finding my way with it and it is a cracking engine, once you get used to it and as it gets run in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.