Seat Arona Forum banner

Anybody else..

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Sianw1981 
#1 ·
Had a problem with hill starts on very steep hills. 95 SE TECH. manual. I have built and driven most things including competition cars, but have recently struggled twice with the Arona.
First time in Wales. Four up, on a steep downhill tarmac road blocked by a landslip. Impossible to reverse without abusing the clutch, which smelt badly immediately. Waited till landslip was cleared.
Then moved on downhill.
Then today leaving Mousehole in Cornwall, only wife and I in the car and again very steep dry tarmac road. Came across a large motorhome, too big for the narrow road. This meant 4 hill starts in first gear. Not so bad, but again involving excessive clutch slip and smell of burning friction plate, in order to move off. Never experienced such a problem in very many years driving every type of vehicle you can imagine. Anyone experienced anything similar?

#2 ·
I don't think this just applies to the Arona
New clutch material is very poor and we tend to demand lighter clutches.
I burnt a Fiesta out stuck on mud on wet grass when I was forced into to it

#3 ·
Modern cars do not have big old clutches like older ones, and you will experience this under excessive conditions like you suggested!

The smell of burning clutch is only going to be experienced rarely. Think yourself lucky you don't live in one of these areas, a proper (not DSG) auto would be best!

My Mii and current Arona 115 both suffer on these rare occasions. The Yeti TDi did not, must have had a bigger clutch, in addition to lower revs and more torque...

#4 ·
Thank you. I did wonder if it was just mine. I am a bit concerned that the clutch is not up to hill starts on some British roads. Any one loving in Mousehole should maybe buy something else. There are also warranty issues, as a failed clutch is not covered, as it is put down to driver abuse. Leaving the village you live in, every day, should not be an excuse to avoid responsibility for poor design and specification. What do you think?

#5 ·
Worn out clutches are far less common than in days of yore!

Friction materials have changed from good old Asbestos to modern composites, which smell at a lower temperature, so perhaps a sign of the times.

If you lived there, you would probably learn to have a good look ahead to avoid stopping as much!! :)

#6 ·
My arona clutch burnt out at 1700 miles no hills just normal roads had pay 1100 new clutch and fly wheel 2 weeks later same burning smell was told new clutch wearing in my car was off road due to working abroad 9 months later using it after 7 weeks burning smell .. clutch burning out miles on it 5,000 , had 6 used cars before never a clutch problem hoping issue resolved because not paying again shouldn't have in first place ...disappointed

#7 ·
Sianw1981 said:
My arona clutch burnt out at 1700 miles no hills just normal roads had pay 1100 new clutch and fly wheel 2 weeks later same burning smell was told new clutch wearing in my car was off road due to working abroad 9 months later using it after 7 weeks burning smell .. clutch burning out miles on it 5,000 , had 6 used cars before never a clutch problem hoping issue resolved because not paying again shouldn't have in first place ...disappointed
I think I saw details of your case on HonestJohn. The dealer also did a poor job of installing the new clutch (missed a clip)? Terrible.

1700 miles just seems impossible, perhaps there is a problem with that particular clutch - bad batch? Or could there be another problem with the transmission that is causing excessive wear on the clutch? Are they even investigating or have they just blamed your driving?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.