Oil change

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Arona
colin3

Oil change

Post by colin3 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:12 pm

I have a 4 month old 1.5 Evo and servicing is every 2 years - I have heard it is best to change oil every year.
Is this advice correct?

I will do around 10,000 miles per year.

Snowdaddy

Re: Oil change

Post by Snowdaddy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:35 am

There are 2 potential servicing regimes:

Variable : upto every 30000km (18500 miles) or 2 years whichever comes first
Fixed : every 15000km (9300 miles) or 1 year whichever comes first

Variable is loved by fleet managers, but it is for long distance motorway type travel
Fixed is for short journeys, town driving, hilly areas, or towing

From the factory will be set to variable, however dealers during PDI (pre delivery inspection), have apparently changed it to fixed servicing to try and get more money at their dealerships. This should only be done if the have consulted you. If it was done wrongly demand they sort it at their expense, for trying to fleece you. (You can check when servicing is due in infotainment, car settings, scroll down to service)

There is quite a debate with lots of differing opinions, it is a trade off of paying more in early years for servicing vs higher risk of premature wear and expensive repairs after about 5 years or 60000 miles. Generally if car is not yours (leased or going back on PCP within 3-4 years) then variable (to save money) as problems later will be someone else’s cost.

The other view is if keeping the car, then get the oil changed annually or every 9300 miles (whichever comes first) as will help give it a longer life. Although pay more for servicing in early years there is expectation will have less to replace later as not so worn.

Off topic regardless of which servicing regime, is a good idea to swap tyres front-back around 14000-15000 miles to even out wear (put a reminder in your calendar). Can be done at home or any tyre dealer. Anyone handing a car back before 30000 miles should do this as it will save them £200-250 having to buy 2 new tyres.
Arona Xcelence Lux 115 tsi DSG monsoon grey with orange roof, leather and alcantara interior. Also have a Skoda Roomster.

colin3

Re: Oil change

Post by colin3 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:55 pm

It is on variable so since I own the vehicle and will keep it long term I will definitely change oil/filter each year.

Thanks for the detailed reply much appreciated.

Do you know how to turn the stop start system off in the menu - I have scrolled through the menus and I cannot find it.
I am now having to press the button each time by the gear stick.

Return to “Faults & Technical”