Engine cutting out 1.6TDI DSG

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Arona
Toroidalsquash

Engine cutting out 1.6TDI DSG

Post by Toroidalsquash » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:08 pm

So I’ve had my Arona since September, all is well until about a month ago when stopping at a roundabout the stop/start kicks in and then I get a dashboard warning saying start engine manually, not a problem I do the whole KESSY start thing but the engine just would not remain on until after around 4-5 tries.
Over the next month this has just got more common and common, I’ve tried turning off the stop/start and whenever I slow down for a junction or try to park the engine will cut out and ask me to start it manually. I’ve got it booked in with the dealers for the 30th but I’m just wondering if anybody else has had this issue?

bethbubby

Re: Engine cutting out 1.6TDI DSG

Post by bethbubby » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:31 am

Hi I have the same model. Within the last month I have had exactly the same things happening. The car is booked in with the main dealer for the 15th but it's definitely happening more often.
Did you find out the cause?
When it happens to mine there are no engine or warning lights on. It just suddenly dies and then will not start again for anything between 2 and 10 minutes being the longest so far. Even holding the key against the kessy sign makes no difference. The main dealers said without engine lights they were unlikely to be able to diagnose the fault and had never heard of this problem before.

Toroidalsquash

Post by Toroidalsquash » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:08 am

Unfortunately no cause yet, they couldn’t diagnose my car and they had it for 6 hours, no warning lights or any sign of it happening,
One thing I will say is it does get worse, and it’ll start happening more often.
My Arona is booked in again for the 27th for a few days, hopefully they’ll sort it then

bethbubby

Post by bethbubby » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:25 pm

Thank you for replying. It definitely does get worse, started off it doing it roughly every 150 miles. That's now down to 25ish miles as of today. Dam near caused a massive accident as I turned off and it cut out in the middle of the main road
Didn't have enough speed up to clear the main road. Back end sticking out, hazards on until it decided it was going to start again. Mine's at the main dealer this Wednesday
I will let you know if they find anything. I have recorded mine refusing to start and no warning lights on so they can see there is definitely something wrong. I have noticed it has only ever done it when turning or at a junction. Is that the same for you?

bethbubby

Post by bethbubby » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:24 am

So I'm sat in the main dealers now. They found a fault and are giving the car 2 software updates.. Can that really cause a car to keep stalling whilst driving? Time will tell I guess. Will let you know if it solved the problem. I'm not feeling confident, but then what do I know about cars?

Toroidalsquash

Post by Toroidalsquash » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:53 pm

Yeah please keep me updated! As mine is due in on the 27th and I’m keen to know what it’ll take to fix it, and well I’ve spoken to various mechanics and all of them have guessed it to be an ecu/immobiliser fault

bethbubby

Post by bethbubby » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:13 am

Hi just to update you.. My arona seems cured! It has not cut out or missed a beat since the software updates. I have done a fair few miles and manned up and turned the stop start back on and all is well. Hopefully a software update is all yours needs 😁 good luck.

Toroidalsquash

Post by Toroidalsquash » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:53 pm

Glad to hear it! And yeah I hope it’s all mine needs too 😬

Souza

Post by Souza » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:04 pm

DSG and Stop/Start totally incompatible. My system is, after starting the engine (by key) next step - click the S/S button to permanently OFF.

Toroidalsquash

Post by Toroidalsquash » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:10 pm

This fault isn’t related to the stop/start, it’s just the engine cutting out randomly when at low revs