Dashcam Wiring Guide

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Arona
martinto8

Dashcam Wiring Guide

Post by martinto8 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:06 pm

A quick guide on how to wire a dashcam to the Arona. It took me 30 minutes to do this (plus time for quick snaps). It could of been tidier but given darkness descending on daylight I did this as quick as I could. This method requires NO cutting into ANY wires and can be removed without any trace With this is mind you can argue it is not hardwiring but nevertheless you can have a tidy install and a 12V socket free to use

I did think about removing trims but for the majority this probably wont be a route that many are keen on so treat this as reference and I hope it can offer some help to installing without any trim removal other the the fusebox trim

Car used: 2019 Arona FR Sport
Dashcam: Nextbase 412GW
Time Required to install: Approx 1 hr

Dashcam hardwiring kit used:

You can use any kit providing it has a the right USB connector for your dashcam

Tools Used
- Flat bladed tool (Or non sharp trim tool will do)
- Electrical tape
- 10mm socket for grounding wire to be attached to bolt
TIP: (I bought this kit and I recommend it for loosening/tighting the bolt for ground wire)

The dashcam wiring kit will allow you to piggy back of a fuse therefore removing any need to splice into any of the wiring
Which Fuse to use?
I used Fuse F2 which is basically the fuse for the 12v Cigarette socket. The fuse should be a 20amp fuse as shown

- First decide where you the dashcam. I had it to the left of the rear view mirror. Then use a flat bladed tool to run and tuck the cable along the roof liner BTW the roof liner is quite a flimsy material so try not to bend too much Run this to the right until you meet the A pillar (I left a bit sticking out in the pic so you can see the cable)

- With a flat bladed tool/trim tool feed the wire along the top of the plastic part of the A pillar

- Run the cable along the A pillar. The flat bladed tool will help you tuck this cable into the pillar.

- Again using the flat bladed/trim tool run the cable down the door seal. By now when you reach the bottom you can feel the cable on the inside of the trim and you can start pulling the cable through to clear any obstacles

- Take Fuse F2 out and insert into the fuse slot from the kit

- Insert the piggyback fuse adapter back into Fuse slot F2. I had to insert this so wire is hanging from top due to the shape of the fusebox

- I used this bolt highlighted as my grounding point but you can use the one below or any other suitable ground point you can find. A ratchet is super handy for loosening/tightening this bolt as recommended above

- Attach the ground wire as shown and connect the positive wire to the fuse and tuck the cable somewhere secure and out of view

- With the excess cabling left over, wrap it in electrical tape (or zip ties) to protect it and prepare it to be tucked away

- Tuck this away behind the bottom right footwell trim. You should be able to stuff it in securely so none of it rattles

Finally test and you should have a working dashcam that operates on the same 12v supply to the Ciggy socket! :D

Pjldecor

Re: Dashcam Wiring Guide

Post by Pjldecor » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:09 pm

Fantastic tutorial. Great photos. Going to give that a go now.

bhaisab

Post by bhaisab » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:28 am

thanks for this.

does connecting to cig socket mean that dashcam only powered when car is switched on?

BigFatPaulie

Post by BigFatPaulie » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:37 pm

bhaisab wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:28 am
thanks for this.

does connecting to cig socket mean that dashcam only powered when car is switched on?
Yes... although you can have the lighter socket live permanently by moving a fuse.
I presume the lighter is on the same circuit as the USB socket (which I've used) in which case its live when you open the doors, and goes off a minute or so after lock up... so perfect for a dashcam IMHO.
........M M M M My shARONA
Seat Arona Xcellance Lux 1.6 oil burner DSG

martinto8

Post by martinto8 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:02 pm

Fuse 2 according to manual is for Cigarette Lighter/12v Power point

MotorMan

Post by MotorMan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:18 am

A really great tutorial which is just what I need to spur me on to install a dashcam. Thank you so much 'martinto8' for making it so clear.

Now all I need is for a similarly excellent tutorial on installing rear seat lighting!!
Xcellence 115PS Red/ Black roof

Auld Clankie

Post by Auld Clankie » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:26 pm

Did much the same this afternoon, Nextbase 522GW dashcam and purchased the Nextbase hard wiring kit on EBay well pleased (kit came with various piggy backs and each with the recommended 2 amp fuse)
Arona Xcellence 1.6 TDI 115 bhp

Lampie

Post by Lampie » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Auld Clankie wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:26 pm
Nextbase 522GW dashcam
I have the same one, but didn't order the hardwire kit
I ordered a 12V adapter to be mounted in the fusebox area and a 2 meter long USB powercord, for the use on my motorcycle (using the suctioncap on the windscreen) with powerbank under the rear seat.

Let's make some nice movies.
:D

Update : 1-2-2020 removed 2 panels, and connected the dashcam according the pictures.
Works great, enough room behind the sidepanel to ziptie the excess wires and connectors.

Seat Arona FR DSG7 Business Intense Full LED 130HP 280Nm 21340km

Seat Urban Vehicle ®

Andypomfrett

Post by Andypomfrett » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:44 am

Thank you for producing this excellent and easy to follow guide. I was able to fit a Nextbase dash cam neatly and without any swearing incidents in about an hour.
A great example of how useful this forum can be.

cruso

Post by cruso » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:00 am

I`ve had front and and rear Nextbase dashcams fitted at Halfords.
£50 for fitting both which includes hard wiring kit.
Great service & coffee while you wait.
1.0 TSI 115 XCELLENCE LUX [EZ] 5DR DSG Desire Red Black Roof