Bonnet scratch/scrape

All Seat Arona related discussions
whenisayjump

Bonnet scratch/scrape

Post by whenisayjump » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:50 am

:cry:

So, at some point my windscreen wipers have been lifted whilst not in the 'service position', and it has damaged the edge of my bonnet. I suspect this happened when I've had it cleaned.

I had a chipsaway person look at it, but they said it wasn't really worth fixing and I should just apply some touch up paint to the edge to protect it.

Does anyone have any idea how quickly it will begin to rust?

It's a lease car, so I'm not really sure what to do for the best.

Thanks,
James

Snowdaddy

Re: Bonnet scratch/scrape

Post by Snowdaddy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:45 pm

It will only rust if it has gone through to the metal

I would get the touch up paint as suggested, if it is down to metal then might need to also get a zinc primer and apply that first. Some touch up kits come with the extra bottle.

A friend showed me a trick, use a non stick kitchen sponge and wipe off surplus paint about 5-10 minutes after applying (it’s easy to get a blob when applying touch up, unless you are used to painting fingernails) you may need to apply another layer of paint if not covering properly, then gently rub the paint about 15 minutes later as though you are trying to buff and polish it, if you time it right and paint is drying then should blend in better, but don’t over wipe it. If too much paint wipes off, just do it again and give it longer. Kitchen sponges are cheap so can throw away afterwards.
Arona Xcelence Lux 115 tsi DSG monsoon grey with orange roof, leather and alcantara interior. Also have a Skoda Roomster.

Brian566

Post by Brian566 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Yes just a small can touch up paint can be very expensive from Dealers as it's a two pack kit paint and clear coat try on Internet

But don't go down the Chipex route its not as good as the Seat Paint
Arona FR TSI 115 Magnetic Grey[ Black Roof

BigFatPaulie

Post by BigFatPaulie » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:50 pm

Get a touch up bottle off eBay ...dealers will gouge you.
Then apply (after a good shake) with a cocktail stick... The built in brush you get with many touch up bottles applies too much paint.
........M M M M My shARONA
Seat Arona Xcellance Lux 1.6 oil burner DSG