VW and ARONA safety recall

All Seat Arona related discussions
catchacold2

VW and ARONA safety recall

Post by catchacold2 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:19 am

Volkswagen and Seat could be about to recall tens of thousands of cars over fears of malfunctioning seatbelts.

The move by German firm VW Group, which owns the brands, would affect up to 28,000 recently sold Seat Aronas, Seat Ibizas, and Volkswagen Polos.
https://news.sky.com/story/vw-group-set ... e-11367859

Billytwoshoes

Re: VW and ARONA safety recall

Post by Billytwoshoes » Sat May 12, 2018 2:32 pm

I have just been informed of this by my local dealer.
Was hoping to collect my new Arona (SE Tech in Nevada White with black roof) later this week.
Dealer was very apologetic and confirmed that they would honour the original deal as regards trade in value etc. No date given for fix.

Currently considering my options as regards continuing with deal, stay with current car ( Hyundai i20) or purchase another vehicle.
Apparently VW affected as well as Seat.

catchacold2

Post by catchacold2 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi, I cant see a bolt on part holding things up for too long if at all.
Hang in there is my advice it will be worth it I am sure.

BombersDad

Post by BombersDad » Mon May 14, 2018 1:15 pm

Picked up my xl this morning and was advised by the dealer as mine was reg on Friday i could have it with the understanding that when the mod was issued they would call me, any cars waiting to be reg as from today will not be released until mod has been done ( They still don't know what needs to be done yet as VAG have not released any details yet )

maisiedormouse

Post by maisiedormouse » Tue May 15, 2018 11:30 am

Glad you got to pick up your car BombersDad. We picked our registration from the list on Sunday but when we went to see the car just off the transporter yesterday our salesman confirmed that until they get the seatbelt fix that they are not allowed to register it. No idea when our delivery date will be

Dolphinfriendly1012

Post by Dolphinfriendly1012 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:47 am

I think most people are the forum have been aware of this issue since the 9th May, but other than those who have been told by the dealer they can't have their car due to this recall has anyone heard from seat or their dealers that a recall is in place. I know I haven't and considering I've just been onto the phone to Seat and given my vehicle details they haven't mentioned it. I can only assume they are relying on the press to inform everybody and word of mouth.
Seat Arona Fr Sport 1.5, Mystery Blue and Grey. Sport line pack matte silver, mud flaps, sill protectors, boot mat, blue wheel centres, blue calipers, console mats and leather armrest.(Sold)

Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy » Tue May 15, 2018 12:08 pm

Dolphinfriendly1012 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:47 am
I think most people are the forum have been aware of this issue since the 9th May, but other than those who have been told by the dealer they can't have their car due to this recall has anyone heard from seat or their dealers that a recall is in place. I know I haven't and considering I've just been onto the phone to Seat and given my vehicle details they haven't mentioned it. I can only assume they are relying on the press to inform everybody and word of mouth.
See link, Letters will be going out in next few weeks regarding recall, and free of charge fix

http://www.seat-mediacenter.com/newspag ... issue.html

If you don't use left rear and middle seat together, might want to wait, especially if you have the phone signal booster, then get both updates done together
Arona Xcelence Lux 115 tsi DSG monsoon grey with orange roof, leather and alcantara interior. Also have a Skoda Roomster.

sanchez

Post by sanchez » Thu May 17, 2018 9:06 am

Noticed a thread on the Ateca forum concerning our rear seat belt woes and saw this photo from the Ateca rear seat

Having investigated my Arona just now I can see the issue seems caused by the fact the middle belt latch pulls out enough to be able to sit right on top of the FIXED rear left buckle release button, which is destined to forever sit below the middle release button holder .

Cannot see how an extra bolt is going to change things. The issue is the differential lengths of the release buckles. Incidentally, I could not reproduce a bad release until I stopped trying to do it by pushing vertically down, only when I pushed at 45 degree angle. But it definitely does release its neighbour in the rear left.
Image below is from the Ateca forum thread, courtesy of Bigcol.

IMG_2783.jpg

keitht

Post by keitht » Thu May 17, 2018 9:30 am

Have you tried reproducing the failure with the outer seat belt engaged? As you say you need to angle the centre buckle to release the outer catch. I found this was not possible with the outer belt plugged in, but very easy to do when it was unplugged.
Anyway, it must be me as I am sure all those experts cannot be wrong!!
Desire Red with black roof FR

sanchez

Post by sanchez » Thu May 17, 2018 10:01 am

Hi keitht

Will take your word for it and makes sense to me, too. What doesn't , is the alleged claim from Seat that a bolt will fix it. Or perhaps that was just hearsay on here.

Redesigned belt lock feature is what the official release states but that fix has itself to be authorised/passed by the authorities, which is no doubt the main reason for the recall delay.

To my mind it has to involve lengthening the left hand buckle strap. Being fixed and too short has allowed this piggyback phenomenon and so, is a pretty daft design in the first place , by these experts at Seat design in my non expert opinion. :P

Still loving the car. Exhaust system a quality item that will last and I have spotted lots of under body protection in a very all tucked out of harm's way fashion. Makes the ground clearance more real if you know what I mean. Part of my journeys abroad are unavoidable greenlaning so just as well.

Return to “Main Seat Arona chat”