DSG changing up too soon, 1000 miles and still not convinced!

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Arona
Pops

DSG changing up too soon, 1000 miles and still not convinced!

Post by Pops » Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 am

The good news is that the engine has definitely loosened up and feels more responsive when pushed!
The bad news is that I still feel the dsg box is far too eager to change up and consequently it sounds and feels
laboured in normal town driving!
25mph in sixth gear even on a gradient just doesn’t make sense to me?
I’ve had two opinions now, from my Seat dealer and a nearby VW dealership who both say the same, ie this is normal
and basically learn to live with it!
I’m not sure that I can frankly!
Totally different to the old 1.2 tsi dsg in my previous Polo and Ibiza!
The only pleasure I can get is to take it out on the open road, shove it in sport and then yes it’s fun, handling and grip is good, but tootling around
locally is pretty underwhelming!

1.0 se tech 115 dsg

sanchez

Re: DSG changing up too soon, 1000 miles and still not convinced!

Post by sanchez » Wed May 16, 2018 10:50 am

That chimes in with the Economy Tips nagging on a standard six speed 115 ps one litre. Keeps urging you to change up when road type and traffic mean you have to hold back or you just haven't reached the stage where a gear change is normal - around 2400 rpm imv.

Needed to turn off the Tips quite soon into March ownership due to this. Seems the DSG is similarly erring on the crazy shift up default. Hope you find a way round this as it can't be doing the engine any good to be 'lugged' in overly high gear. Running in advises against just such a load.

Pops

Post by Pops » Wed May 16, 2018 11:00 am

Hi Sanchez
Yes totally agree, but Seat and VW both told me that in order to comply with the latest Euro emissions regs and optimum mpg targets then this is how it is!
Deliberately set to change up at 2000 rpm irrespective of road speed or incline!
Bonkers 😜

Pops

Post by Pops » Thu May 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Hi guys, just an update
For two days now I’ve been using sport mode only, as suggested by people with this engine/dsg combination, although not necessarily Aronas, whom, like me are unhappy at the rapid up shift in drive mode!
I have to say that the driving experience is far more rewarding in that, I feel as though I’m in the right gear for the given road speed!
I will persevere and see how it goes, but for now I’m actually enjoying the car! 🙂
1.0 115ps dsg se technology

Return to “Faults & Technical”