Arona seat belt recall PARTIAL fix !!!

All Seat Arona related discussions
keitht

Re: Arona seat belt recall PARTIAL fix !!!

Post by keitht » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:43 am

I am glad to be proven wrong!

Yes the centre buckle is still higher than the lh one, but not high enough to overlap it.

I wonder why this approach was not provided as the interim fix?
Desire Red with black roof FR

stevenh365

Post by stevenh365 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:48 am

Not trying to prove anyone right or wrong Keitht... :)

Are you of the opinion that the 'Intrim fix' has solved the issue?

My understanding is that the 'plastic cable tie' type clip used in the intrim fix cannot possiably hold the same pressure as the seat buckle itsself was designed to do ... therefore would give way to a certain amount of force... therefore was withdrawn with a further dislaimer from SEAT.

These clips do fit over the seat belt 'press' and would effictivley solve the issue in theroy and cut the risk of it opening the belt next to it
Last edited by stevenh365 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
SE Tech Lux 1.6 D 115 2018/18

Dylan Munro

Post by Dylan Munro » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi Everyone,
Because of change in circumstances, I now find myself h@ving to take my grand children to School ( Scottish schools restart on Wednesday) . Prior to this was relatively happy about owning a 5 seater car which until (guesstimate) November is a 4 seater.
Thought I could all but reluctantly deal and accept this situation.
Contacted SEAT customer service this morning and advised them of my new found problem and within a few hours, SORTED!!
I have just taken delivery of a Golf GTi to get the kids to school.
Hats off off to SEAT Custome Service.
Do not sit back and accept this if you are affected by your “4 seater Arona”
Tell them, they will very quickly help you.
At long last - THANK YOU !!!
WELL DONE SEAT
FR 1.0 TSi 115PS - White with Grey Roof

pickledseal

Post by pickledseal » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:02 pm

New to the forum... but very glad you exist.

I’ve been reading your posts with interest - and shared frustration.

I’ve just got off the phone to customer services, who are raising our case to “Ish” - who I seem some of you have spoken to.

It’s incredible how poor the customer service is... “sorry, sorry, sorry” seems to be all you get.

I am going to request a further vehicle until final repair is done - just as much as principle as anything. I bought a 5 seater car - but only have 4 seats. We have two children but cannot give a lift to any family and friends. This has been a pain over the summer holidays (I am a teacher and everyone wants us to look after their kids!).

I requested compensation, but they have said they can’t offer this.

If this continues to be so poor, I am tempted to escalate further. Would BBC Watchdog be interested?

Dylan Munro

Post by Dylan Munro » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Hi pickledseal,
First thing Monday morning, do what I did, give SEAT a call and tell them that your circumstances have changed and that the 4 seating 5 seater car is no longer viable.
That you need what you thought you had purchased ie “A 5 seater family Arona”
I was called back within an hour and offered a VW Golf GTI and before the afternoon was out, it was delivered.
Even better, my Arona (which in every other respect I am VERY happy with) is safely on my driveway and completely under my control and NOT languishing somewhere in a dealer’s yard.
I apparently have the use of the Golf until seatbelt fiasco is resolved which by their own admission may not even be completed by November.
My advice - Make that call, be polite, absolutely no need to get angry, just calmly insist that you really do need to have 5 seats available for your family’s use.
Good luck and please let us know how you got on.

Uncletone

Post by Uncletone » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:24 pm

I too have just received notification to take my car to the dealer, for what I can only assume is the temp fix. This is despite the fact that delivery of the car was delayed by three weeks whilst the Radio Booster was disabled / thrown away and I'm told the rear seat belt was requiring a temp fix. On delivery it was obvious that the rears seat belt was as built, the middle buckle is sitting a lot higher than the adjacent buckle.

I took delivery at the end of May, so I'm a little bit surprised that it has taken while now, 12 weeks and 7023 miles later, for them to tell me.

I'll contact the local dealer on Monday to ask if this is a permanent fix or the temp one.

I'm fortunate, I don't carry middle passengers, and to this day I haven't been informed, like some of our forum members, not to use the middle seat belt.

It looks a little early to be having a permanent fix done, as I am led to believe that the full fix will not be available until November.

Just out of curiosity has anybody seen a brand new Arona with a different seat belt arrangement.
It Only Beaks When I Fix It

Arona 1.0 SE TECH Nevada White

pickledseal

Post by pickledseal » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:12 pm

Thanks Dylan.

I spoke to someone called Tiffany on Friday. She promised Ish (“who is not customer facing but the most senior member of the customer service team”) will call with 48hours. I am intreagued to see if that will now be Sunday.

I am going to ask for another vehicle to be delivered ASAP. We don’t often need 5 seats, but do on a number of occasions. Initially I was asked for what dates I needed 5 seats. It’s such a shame their customer service is so clueless, but another vehicle is at least some way to make amends!

pickledseal

Post by pickledseal » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:46 am

So I have now finally spoken to Ish - they are sending a courtesy car until it is fixed.

I have asked him to pass on my dissatisfaction to the UK directors - and that their view that their does not need to be any futher good will gestures (free servicing etc) is not acceptable.

Let’s see how long it takes for the car to arrive now...

Dylan Munro

Post by Dylan Munro » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:51 am

Well, it has taken some time, but now the VW Group seatbelt fiasco is National news, as features in today’s, (Friday 24th August) edition of the Times newspaper.
“Cars with lethal seat belt fault remain on road”
By Graeme Paton Transport Correspondent.
According to Paton, 35,263 Polos and 28,639 SEATs are affected. (2018 models only).
He also discusses the recall procedure and the DVSA’s (Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency) apparent over reliance on companies “self policing” and that a suitable fix is yet to be agreed.
As I’ve said before when speaking to SEAT customer service, November appears by no means to be the end date and is at best a guesstimate.
Let’s hope today’s exposure in the national press speeds things along.
Very much enjoying my curtesy VW Golf (see earlier posts)

Baggy

Post by Baggy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:00 am

Just a quick update ...
My dealer has accepted my car back and I no longer own the car ..
I wish you all the best in your Arona ownership but sadly that won’t include me anymore ..
😢

Return to “Main Seat Arona chat”