Sat nav updates

All Seat Arona related discussions
Wowzz

Re: Sat nav updates

Post by Wowzz » Fri May 24, 2019 11:02 pm

I've read my way through these posts, and can process a spread sheet, etc, but I still have no idea how to update the sat nav. Do I need a new sd card, if so, where do I put it, how do I upload the new data etc.
I'm fed up with my sat nav taking me off at various motorway junctions, purely for the pleasure of it, and then taking me back onto the motorway.
Perhaps some of the youngsters on here can talk us old uns through the system, and in exchange I'll tell them how to programme a computer using fortran punch cards!

Brian566

Post by Brian566 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:10 am

Hi
I am 71 and followed the simple instruction on arona kens post no problem .You don't need a new SD card use the original one as long as you have a PC no problems
Arona FR TSI 115 Magnetic Grey[ Black Roof

Dunkelmann

Post by Dunkelmann » Sat May 25, 2019 9:17 am

Wowzz wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:02 pm
in exchange I'll tell them how to programme a computer using fortran punch cards!
I had no problem updating following the instructions on here, way back when the topic first started. It is not about great computing skill (see below). Having said that, if one is having a problem, the help on here is limitless, you just need to ask and explain at which step things went wrong.

Like you I programmed a mainframe in FORTRAN (sic) with punched cards (1969) but my non techy wife could update the card from these instructions.

The principle is this:
Download a set of compressed files in a single file, extract them and save them in a clean directory on an empty directory on a PC.
Remove your SD card from the car noting which slot it came out of.
Copy its contents onto another empty directory on your PC.

Now you are ready to update. You can delete your SD card contents if you wish.
Copy the uncompressed downloaded files from your PC onto your SD card, overwriting (if asked) any files with same name that are on the SD card.

Here is the strange bit. Copy one of the old files from your saved old files on to the SD card.

Re insert the SD card into the car.

Note inserting and removing cards are safer done with the ignition off.

I have deliberately avoided details to highlight the process.

Skills needed:
Knowing how to remove and insert an SD card.
Knowing how to download a file from a site.
Knowing how to uncompress a compressed file into a set of files in an empty directory.
Knowing how to copy files singly.
Knowing how to copy multiple files to a single directory keeping the same tree structure of the source files.
Knowing how to delete files.
Knowing how to note what you did at each step.
Knowing how to record what happened in response to your actions.
Knowing how to feed this back to the forum if things go wrong.

If you don't have these skills then get someone else to do the update.

Wowzz this isn't directed at you as I am sure you have all the skills, but to help people who lack confidence.
Arona Xcellence, petrol, 1.0 TSI 115 PS, manual, Black, 04/18

BenC

Post by BenC » Sat May 25, 2019 10:27 am

I will try to find some time over the weekend to make a YouTube video showing the two methods step by step.

Hopefully this will help clear up any confusion.
2019 (19) Arona Xcellence Lux 1.0L 115PS Petrol DSG - Eclipse Orange with Grey Roof.

Wowzz

Post by Wowzz » Sat May 25, 2019 2:17 pm

Dunkelmann wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:17 am
Wowzz wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:02 pm
in exchange I'll tell them how to programme a computer using fortran punch cards!
I had no problem updating following the instructions on here, way back when the topic first started. It is not about great computing skill (see below). Having said that, if one is having a problem, the help on here is limitless, you just need to ask and explain at which step things went wrong.

Like you I programmed a mainframe in FORTRAN (sic) with punched cards (1969) but my non techy wife could update the card from these instructions.

The principle is this:
Download a set of compressed files in a single file, extract them and save them in a clean directory on an empty directory on a PC.
Remove your SD card from the car noting which slot it came out of.
Copy its contents onto another empty directory on your PC.

Now you are ready to update. You can delete your SD card contents if you wish.
Copy the uncompressed downloaded files from your PC onto your SD card, overwriting (if asked) any files with same name that are on the SD card.

Here is the strange bit. Copy one of the old files from your saved old files on to the SD card.

Re insert the SD card into the car.

Note inserting and removing cards are safer done with the ignition off.

I have deliberately avoided details to highlight the process.

Skills needed:
Knowing how to remove and insert an SD card.
Knowing how to download a file from a site.
Knowing how to uncompress a compressed file into a set of files in an empty directory.
Knowing how to copy files singly.
Knowing how to copy multiple files to a single directory keeping the same tree structure of the source files.
Knowing how to delete files.
Knowing how to note what you did at each step.
Knowing how to record what happened in response to your actions.
Knowing how to feed this back to the forum if things go wrong.

If you don't have these skills then get someone else to do the update.

Wowzz this isn't directed at you as I am sure you have all the skills, but to help people who lack confidence.
Thank you for taking the tine and trouble to write all of this. A lot if it goes straight over my head (file compression, tree structures etc) so I think I'll leave it to the experts, and continue to use my stand alone Gamin sat nav, which is far superior to the Arona system anyway.

Dunkelmann

Post by Dunkelmann » Sat May 25, 2019 2:38 pm

I have a Garmin Sat Nav too, but I find its guidance is worse than the built-in one although updates are simple and more often.

I suspect sat nav maps and algorithms are too simplistic. For example in "quickest time" mode, ignoring traffic, I am convinced they do not distinguish between enough road types like my old TomTom did on my 2003 iPAQ. You need at least motorway, dual carriageway, A road, B road, unclassified road, single track road.

I have often been diverted by Garmin off a perfectly good A road onto a series of unclassified roads both in the UK and France. I think they use 2 or 3 types and then use distance. As we all know, a country road might be shorter than an A road but the risk of hold ups through bends, tractors, pedestrians, animals is higher.

We used to get to program our personal average speed for each type of road. For example you might average 60 on a motorway whereas I might average 55.

It is needlessly dumbed down and inflexible compared to 15 years ago when I first used Sat Nav (external Bluetooth GPS receiver on the dash).

What we need is Open navigation software written by anyone, working on a standardised map format.
Arona Xcellence, petrol, 1.0 TSI 115 PS, manual, Black, 04/18

stormeagle

Post by stormeagle » Mon May 27, 2019 9:43 am

Agreed!

tjw

Post by tjw » Tue May 28, 2019 9:54 am

Just spoke to Seat UK suggesting i may have purchased an Arona with outdated maps,said i had seen an update on a Seat forum(1115)he mentioned that it was a european forum,anyhow the main point which is new to me is that you get free updates for a year,remove your SD card,note the number,give it to the spares department and they will check,if out of date ring Seat customer care and qoute PR77q,basically a part number for your free update

tjw

malanderson

Post by malanderson » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:56 am

The above method worked great for me, Updating my wife's Nov 2018 Leon FR. However I also wrote my own notes to myself, so just in case it helps someone, I copy below - all performed on Windows 10 PC. Tis method worked great for me Jan19 and June19.
Remove the SatNav SDHC from the car.
Save VERY CAREFULLY the file overall.nds from the SDHC, NEVER LOOSE THAT ORIGINAL FILE - EMAIL IT TO YOURSELF.
the file date should be 19/09/2017 09.49. (08.49) (In my case)
and for security I emailed it to (myemail@outlook.com), Thu 07/03/2019 06:14
ONLY WHEN THAT FILE IS SAFE
Delete all files on the SDHC
Download the Satnav update from https://www.seat.com/owners/your-seat/n ... n-6p0.html
the first three digits should be “6P0”, in order to download the following file.
1115_MP181-1284.xEUR1.zip
Copy the extracted new files onto the SDHC,
Find that safely saved overall.nds and overwrite the new file that came with the recent download
Finish – Test

Jiminuk

Post by Jiminuk » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:35 pm

I find it amazing that car manufacturers (mostly) don't bother providing updated maps with their satnav software. I'm about to do mine having just picked the car up a few days ago - the info on this site is very useful. Fingers crossed that it all still works at the end!

[Edit] So.... all is good. The update worked fine (following the steps posted on here. I now have version 1115, which is showing as the 2019-2020 map info.

:D
Arona FR 1.5 TSI EVO 150 PS 6-speed manual - Desire red :)

Return to “Main Seat Arona chat”