Audi Q2

All Seat Arona related discussions
Snowdaddy

Re: Audi Q2

Post by Snowdaddy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Wowzz wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:26 am
Interesting replies - I may have been a little unwise in choosing an Audi as a comparative choice! Personally, I still do not believe any Arona is worth £23k, when there are so many other 1 year old vehicles out there for a lower figure. How about a Mazda CX5 for example?
And, buying a car on PCP is a dangerous road to go down. I know Seat are offering 0%, but so much depends on residual costs that it make me nervous. I can get a bank loan for 3% - gives me much more freedom and flexibility for relatively little cost.
Perhaps another way of looking at it, is why are there so many 1 year old cars out there for sale.
The average person does not offload a car after 12 months if they like it, they only get rid of ones they don't like early

I have never come across anyone leasing for a year.
Some may be ex rentals where they have a policy of changing the cars quite early, a few may be demonstrators that a dealership has held for a year, but where are remainder coming from, perhaps cars rejected due to faults.

I have hired quite a few cars on my travels, but never seen a Q2 lined up in the rows of cars, even at airport sites with dozens of cars awaiting pick up and drop off, so I suspect the ex rental is small. Does this simply mean the ones out there are overpriced and take ages to sell.

A quick look at Autotrader (excluding brand new) shows 208 Arona for sale, but 508 Q2 for sale, so two and a half times as many used ones. Of course the Q2 has been on sale longer, but not a good reason for so many more than a mass market car like the Arona. Implies the Q2 doesn't sell easily used.
Arona Xcelence Lux 115 tsi DSG monsoon grey with orange roof, leather and alcantara interior. Also have a Skoda Roomster.

Wowzz

Post by Wowzz » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:49 pm

I suppose that as as been said, the argument is really about new versus old, or slightly used. I just have a problem buying a new car, when I know that the moment I drive it off the forecourt I will have lost thousands of pounds, whereas buying a 12 month old car, with 4000 miles on the clock (the Arona I am now driving) means that the original owner has taken the financial hit.

AronaKent

Post by AronaKent » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 am

Wowzz wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:49 pm
I suppose that as as been said, the argument is really about new versus old, or slightly used. I just have a problem buying a new car, when I know that the moment I drive it off the forecourt I will have lost thousands of pounds, whereas buying a 12 month old car, with 4000 miles on the clock (the Arona I am now driving) means that the original owner has taken the financial hit.
This is true to a degree but the last 2 times I've bought a new car (the Arona was one), the cost of a new one with discounts was pretty much the same as a nearly new one.

OK, I might have saved around £800 if I'd gone nearly new but I think getting one that you want and being the first owner, knowing it hasn't got any 'history' is certainly worth the extra few quid.
2018(68) Arona SE Technology, 1.0 95ps TSI Manual. All silver - Full LED Headlights :idea:

DomesticExtremist

Post by DomesticExtremist » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:11 am

I think the calculation really depends on how long you are going to keep your car. If you change it every few years then nearly new will offer significant savings over brand new over the years. If you hang on to your car for longer periods (5+ years) then the difference in depreciation goes away and having a car on which you have put every mile on the clock counts for a lot.
If you find a good, reliable car that you like driving then it is definitely worth hanging on to it for as long as is practical.
Personally I feel that the only way that car ownership makes any kind of financial sense is to have a succession of cheap bangers which you drive to the scrapyard after a few short years or to own from new and keep that until it is close to being ready for the scrapyard.
Changing the car every few years and paying interest on a permanent car loan seems to be the worst of all worlds except, perhaps, PCP.
SE Technology TDI 95

Wowzz

Post by Wowzz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:43 pm

It's interesting to read all the various responses. As with most things in life, everyone's circumstances in life are different, so there is no right or wrong. My preference is to buy nearly new, low mileage models, and change every 4 years or so. I pay cash, plus part exchange, so, depreciation aside, I am not paying interest on any loan, although theoretically I know that I am losing interest income on the cash element of the car purchase.

Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:02 am

Wowzz wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:43 pm
It's interesting to read all the various responses. As with most things in life, everyone's circumstances in life are different, so there is no right or wrong. My preference is to buy nearly new, low mileage models, and change every 4 years or so. I pay cash, plus part exchange, so, depreciation aside, I am not paying interest on any loan, although theoretically I know that I am losing interest income on the cash element of the car purchase.
Agree it is all about personal choice and circumstances. If I was a cash buyer it would always be nearly new, finance then you do have to look at the interest rates. More often than not a new car works out cheaper than nearly new simply due to the often subsidised interest rates.

One final point about Audi that along with VW are proving to be less reliable than Skoda and SEAT statistically. An example is a friend has had to have an entire new brake system on a 2017 Q5 replaced - it was in the garage for a month. My Arona has been 100% reliable, no squeaks or rattles over the last 10 months either.

scarecrow101

Post by scarecrow101 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:18 am

We looked at 1 year old and ex demo audis but the APR on them is insane, some instances it was 9%, so even though on paper they may be the same price, getting finance on a used car is a whole different barrel of fish to a new one! So count me out ever trying to get a used car again

BlueBoy68

Post by BlueBoy68 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:18 am

Pjldecor wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:15 pm
Hi Gingee. You say your car is at the dealership now but you don't want it until March. My car is arriving in March and would be ready for pick up on the 30th. I asked if I could have it on the 1st April so not to waste a hole month of car tax. The sales rep told me that under Seat rules the car has to be delivered to the customer the same month it arrives at the dealership. Do you think He's having me on?
YES HE IS. He wants the figures to go through for March mine was delivered mid August and I got it on 1st September for the 68 plate
1.6 TDI 115 Technology Lux (2018/68)

Return to “Main Seat Arona chat”