New Arona - engine sounds very noisy when cold.

All Seat Arona related discussions
theforestdweller

Re: New Arona - engine sounds very noisy when cold.

Post by theforestdweller » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:19 am

Together with the SEAT Technician we started the car from cold. The engine promptly fired up in a very noisy fashion. The technician used a stethoscope (I used to use a long wooden handled screwdriver :) ) to listen to various parts of the engine. He agreed that the engine was unusually noisy but didn't think there was anything wrong internally. His initial view is that there is a problem within the high pressure fuel system as that was where he was hearing the most obvious signs of disharmony (bring back carburettors I say :oops: ), but cannot be sure.

The car is back with me with assurances that it is safe to drive and is booked back in for detailed diagnostics on Monday 18th March. They could look at it earlier but that's the soonest they can provide me with a courtesy car.

At this stage I'm just pleased that it is recognised that there is a problem and that it will be investigated. I'm minded to wait until SEAT have had a chance to diagnose further before initiating any action to reject the car. However I will do so if I'm not happy with progress. I have 30 days from the date I collected the car (5th March) so still time to escalate if required. I think the biggest problem will be to diagnose the fault before it goes away as the engine warms up - maybe 5 minutes or so at most!
Arona FR Sport 1.0 115ps - Arrived 05.03.2019

When the experts are agreed, the opposite opinion cannot be held to be certain (Bertrand Russell)

Crista

Post by Crista » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:32 am

It certainly sounds external rather than internal and something like fuel pressure doesn’t sound unreasonable. Good that they have taken you seriously - hopefully it will be a simple adjustment or or component replacement with a happy ending ay.

theforestdweller

Post by theforestdweller » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Have now logged the problem with Customer Services and received a Case Number for ongoing reference. I didn't expect them to do anything at this stage, but just wanted to ensure that the problem was on their system in case I need to take it further. I advised that I wanted the problem identified and fixed to my satisfaction or would seek to reject the car. They acknowledged that they had logged this for me. Just waiting now for a diagnosis next Monday.

When the experts are agreed, the opposite opinion cannot be held to be certain (Bertrand Russell)

theforestdweller

Post by theforestdweller » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Subject to me starting the engine from cold tomorrow to confirm things, the problem has been fixed. Apparently the problem was with a metal dust cover on the flywheel which was making contact with part of the starter motor. A slight adjustment to the starter motor position and the problem disappeared. The Service Manager agreed that the problem had existed right from when the car was built, so zero brownie points to quality control at the factory and especially to the supplying dealership to whom the problem would have been obvious during the PDI.

I also received a call from Customer Services shortly after being told the problem has (allegedly) been sorted. I agreed to a further call back on Friday after I've had a couple of days to ensure everything is now OK. I shall expect, and feel justified in requesting, at least some sort of compensation for out of pocket expenses such as reducing the excess on the courtesy car insurance, and also the worry and waste of my time after receiving a car that was initially not of satisfactory quality.

I'll report again after I'm sure the problem is resolved and after I've spoken again with Customer Services on Friday, but at least for now I'm somewhat happier :) .

number6

Post by number6 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:36 pm

I suspect that you will get nothing from Seat, directly, but try for some freeby from the dealer for not picking it up at PDI.

theforestdweller

Post by theforestdweller » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:50 pm

number6 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:36 pm
I suspect that you will get nothing from Seat, directly, but try for some freeby from the dealer for not picking it up at PDI.
SEAT have already offered a sweetener in the form of some bottles of wine! However I prefer something more practical. I am 160 plus miles away from the supplying dealership so berating them and throwing my toys out of the pram is not really an option. Obviously the local dealership I went to who have apparently fixed the problem have no responsibility in the matter. Apparently they will not even be paid for the work they did as this does not constitute a warranty repair, rather something that should have been done at PDI. I don't pretend to understand how these franchises work, I am just happy that my local dealership proved so accommodating. Fingers crossed I am not speaking too soon!

theforestdweller

Post by theforestdweller » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:50 pm

So far so good - Started engine this morning and all sounds OK :) :) . Had a 150 mile round trip today and with nearly 500 miles on the clock so far everything seems to be settling down nicely. We were 4 people today, unusual for us, and I was quite surprised and very pleased at how such a small engine performs. Still taking it easy, but assuming no further early problems then I shall be very happy. Will give Customer Services the thumbs up on Friday, but still expect a sweetener of some sort for all the angst caused by a sloppy PDI from a less then conscientious dealership :| .

theforestdweller

Post by theforestdweller » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:12 pm

Just to tidy this thread up - Car has now done some 1200 miles and the problem has not reared its head again. Package of 4 bottles of wine received from SEAT Customer services plus a phone call from them stating that upon investigation my car was apparently handed off to a Ford franchise to do the PDI which is against SEAT policy and knuckles have been duly rapped. Given that this particular dealership has multiple franchises, I assume this just means the vehicle was passed to someone on the same site who was not SEAT trained. All a little weird but do not feel inclined to chase further. SEAT have now closed my case.

Although this should never have happened in the first case, I have to say that SEAT Customer Services have been very good in this instance, keeping me informed and even 'phoning when they said they would! Am now very happy with the car, my only slight niggle is that the brakes seem quite fierce, but am adjusting to that and compensating with a lighter foot. Can't blame the car if it's a user problem!

Return to “Main Seat Arona chat”