Which Trim?

All Seat Arona related discussions
gunnernat

Which Trim?

Post by gunnernat » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:49 pm

Hi all,

I'm hoping that you may be able to offer a bit of advice. I'm looking at getting an Arona, but can't decide between the FR Sport and Xcellence Lux (have also not yet decided between manual and automatic but I think that's a decision for another day!). PCP wise, on the 0% finance the Xcellence Lux works out at just over £20 per month more expensive which doesn't seem too bad, but I'm not sure that the additional features are actually worth it.

Owners of these models, are you happy with the car? Do you wish that you had gone for a lower/higher spec? How do you find the storage pack, front parking sensors, rear view camera, park assist, blind spot detection, rear cross traffic alert etc. that the Xcellence Lux offers? Any other general comments would be much appreciated :D!

Snowdaddy

Re: Which Trim?

Post by Snowdaddy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:56 am

I have The Xcelence Lux.

We basically wanted it for the comfortable seats (my wife has a hip problem), and the seats are very good. We have done some long journeys where we have done 7+ hours in the car in a day and no discomfort. Having leather side bolsters helps getting in/out of the seats. We did try an FR Sport but found the deeper sides to the sports seats made this harder and were wary about the stiffer suspension (there was no FR available to test drive)

As for most of the other features, that are extra on the model, wouldn’t have added them.
Rear camera is useful for checking when backing into parking space
Auto parking has never been used
Would have preferred the 55 or 60 sidewall tyres, the 45 can be harsh over speed humps or potholes
Could have lived without front parking sensors
Blind spot detection is brilliant (especially on one way systems when someone tries to nip inside you), amazing how much it sees that you miss with quick glance in side mirror, so you then look properly
Cross traffic alert, fairly useful if you need to back out from between parked cars, but pointless if you always reverse into perpendicular spaces (very few people do reverse into these spaces)
Kessy is also waste of space, my wife’s car has normal remote keys and the number of times we both either pull out key for no ignition keyhole, or leave it in pocket when we need it for other car still happens. Also unless you stick it in faraday pouch overnight car thrives are a risk.

Ultimately if we could have got SE tech Lux, FR or Xcelence spec and added the leather bolster comfort seats would have done that instead.

After 6800 miles if I could choose a spec, would also have added heated seats, gone for smaller wheel rims with deeper sidewalks, would have all season tyres ( who wants to be stranded on rare snow days), would have had interior lights in back, and would have had less dark headlining. But even without these it is a brilliant car.
Arona Xcelence Lux 115 tsi DSG monsoon grey with orange roof, leather and alcantara interior. Also have a Skoda Roomster.

gunnernat

Post by gunnernat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:43 am

That’s all incredibly helpful information, thank you!

Cadwest

Post by Cadwest » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:15 am

I agree with what Snowdaddy has posted above, we have the excellence lux and the seats are very comfortable, I also have a new Polo GTi plus and the seats in that are definitely not as comfortable as the Arona. The wife got one of the mis builds fortunately that came with the heated seats and they are very good, it also has the beats audio which I’m not bothered about but had the space saver wheel included with it. The wife wanted the automatic which coupled with the adaptive cruise control on the motorway works extremely well in my opinion so is worth considering if you spend time travelling about.

BenC

Post by BenC » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:12 am

I've only had the car since last Saturday, but I'm very glad I went for the Xcellence Lux.

The Adaptive Cruise Control is fantastic and I'm using it on a daily basis. I also use the self parking and front sensors at least once a day (both work extremely well). The Blind Spot Monitoring is also pretty useful and reassuring.

When it comes to cars, I tend to go for the best I can afford, rather than just what I "need". You will never regret having too many features.

My advice: avoid potential buyers' remorse and just go for the highest trim! :D
2019 (19) Arona Xcellence Lux 1.0L 115PS Petrol DSG - Eclipse Orange with Grey Roof.

Cadwest

Post by Cadwest » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:27 am

This site does genuine VW group retrofit products and to add items after is very pricey, I wanted to fit the blind spot monitor to my Polo but the kit is €599 plus fitting so I’ve given it a miss. The LED headlights are a whopping €1999 plus fitting on the Polo and are not as good as the LED lights on the Arona.

https://www.kufatec.com/en/seat/arona/arona-kj7/

Elevenses

Post by Elevenses » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:00 pm

xCellence lux all the way. Keyless in addition to the other bits makes it a more comfy thing than an FR which has attracted critique for it's even firmer ride... the lux rides fine but certainly on the firmer side!

Dunkelmann

Post by Dunkelmann » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:59 am

I like my Xcellence. I didn't want the harder ride of the larger alloys so all I was sacrificing over the Lux was a plusher seat cover and the rear camera.

As it turns out, after nearly 5500 miles, I don't feel the need for a camera at all (never had one before anyway). The seats are just as comfortable and probably harder wearing and easier to look after. The ride is very comfortable without being soft, although the car doesn't like speed bumps so you don't want to be driving over 20 mph on them.

As I've said on another thread, the pearly white dash is not an issue and lightens up the inside.
Last edited by Dunkelmann on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arona Xcellence, petrol, 1.0 TSI 115 PS, manual, Black, 04/18

The Wall Watcher

Post by The Wall Watcher » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:07 pm

FR SPORT for me. Only because I'd never use the "extras" on the excellence lux. Not sat in an excellence lux so don't know if different to FR SPORT? The seats in mine are very comfy. The firmer/stiffer ride is something I prefer aswell and I think the FR SPORT visually, looks better inside and out. Surprised by the amount of comments on the forum regarding heated seats. Personally, I can't stand them. The warmth always makes me feel like I've pi$$ed my pants! :lol:
FR Sport 1.0 TSI 115 PS 6-speed manual Eclipse Orange, Magnetic Grey Roof

BenC

Post by BenC » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:05 pm

The Wall Watcher wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:07 pm
FR SPORT for me. Only because I'd never use the "extras" on the excellence lux. Not sat in an excellence lux so don't know if different to FR SPORT? The seats in mine are very comfy. The firmer/stiffer ride is something I prefer aswell and I think the FR SPORT visually, looks better inside and out. Surprised by the amount of comments on the forum regarding heated seats. Personally, I can't stand them. The warmth always makes me feel like I've pi$$ed my pants! :lol:
I can't stand heated seats either. I never used them on my last car (Toyota Auris).

The FR Sport certainly looks nicer, but I think that is mostly the tinted windows. I just had my XLux tinted (20% rears), and it has made a huge difference to how it looks. I personally use all of the extra features on the XLux, but I guess many people wouldn't.
2019 (19) Arona Xcellence Lux 1.0L 115PS Petrol DSG - Eclipse Orange with Grey Roof.

Return to “Main Seat Arona chat”