Ride quality of the FR

All Seat Arona related discussions
MotorMan

Ride quality of the FR

Post by MotorMan » Mon May 13, 2019 10:10 am

Hi Folks.

I'm new here as I'm only at the very early stages of trying to decide if the Arona will meet my needs. No local dealers have an FR to demonstrate so I've absolutely no idea about the ride qualities of this version, (i.e. is it too hard and jiggly), etc. Can anyone with an FR comment on their views as to the ride comfort of the car? I drive mainly on open country roads which are not particularly smooth!

Also, do you folks with the 115bhp 1.0 engine generally find it sufficiently powerful for out of town use or is the 1.5 engine available in the FR a better choice?

Hope you can help.
On order: Xcellence 115PS Red/ Black roof

Snowdaddy

Re: Ride quality of the FR

Post by Snowdaddy » Mon May 13, 2019 10:32 am

Can't comment on ride quality as don't have FR, but the XLux on 18 inch rims isn't jiggly

The 115 engine is not short of power, works brilliantly with the DSG-7 box as always in the best rev band (and there is always sport mode if want more response). If you choose the manual, it comes down to if you like changing gears, it is not the sort of engine that will be economical, or pull well from 1000 revs, if you choose to leave it in wrong gear.
Arona Xcelence Lux 115 tsi DSG monsoon grey with orange roof, leather and alcantara interior. Also have a Skoda Roomster.

MotorMan

Post by MotorMan » Mon May 13, 2019 11:07 am

Snowdaddy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:32 am
Can't comment on ride quality as don't have FR, but the XLux on 18 inch rims isn't jiggly

The 115 engine is not short of power, works brilliantly with the DSG-7 box as always in the best rev band (and there is always sport mode if want more response). If you choose the manual, it comes down to if you like changing gears, it is not the sort of engine that will be economical, or pull well from 1000 revs, if you choose to leave it in wrong gear.
The DSG box is something I've not thought of but what you say makes a lot of sense. I'm often caught out in the wrong gear with my current VW 1.4TSi engine which is best above 1200 rpm. It would only be worse with the smaller 1.0 engine. Thanks for your comment.

keitht

Post by keitht » Mon May 13, 2019 12:07 pm

I have had an FR for just over 15 months and 7500 miles and have had no problem with the suspension. I test drove a non FR and when I got mine a few weeks later I didn’t notice any difference. Having said that as noted in the reviews it is a bit noisy over potholes or speed bumps, but I suspect the ‘normal’ suspension is as well.
I hated with a passion the 115hp engine when it was new and tight, a couple of thousand miles in I started to love it as it loosened up. Now it will happily do 30 in 4th and it doesn’t stall if I allow the revs to drop when slowly turning at sharp junctions.
I find it brisk enough though rarely exceed 3500 revs and fine on the motorway.
Desire Red with black roof FR

theforestdweller

Post by theforestdweller » Mon May 13, 2019 12:19 pm

I would describe the ride quality as firm, but well planted. I too live in a country environment with the usual pot holed roads and have no complaints about the ride. I could adjust the tyre pressures a little lower to soften the ride, but have not felt the need to do so. As for the 115 engine - it has been a revelation to me - very responsive and pulls well from around 1500rpm. The turbo makes a huge difference and the torque comes in really early. I have found no need to go above 4000rpm even when I want to get a move on! I was a little concerned before I bought the vehicle a to how it would perform at motorway speeds but now have no worries at all. The car will happily keep up with traffic in the outside lane with speed to spare. The car is very high geared so everything feels quite relaxed even at higher speeds. I haven't even changed drive modes as yet, plenty of power combined with excellent economy leaving the selector in "Normal" rather than "Sport" or "Eco".
Arona FR Sport 1.0 115ps - Arrived 05.03.2019

When the experts are agreed, the opposite opinion cannot be held to be certain (Bertrand Russell)

richw

Post by richw » Mon May 13, 2019 2:25 pm

I have had my Arona FR Sport (1.0 115TSi) for about 7 weeks (and have already done about 4.500 miles as I drive around 100 miles per day, vast majority of it motorway driving). I agree with all the previous comments. It is a nippy car and when I am in 6th gear doing around 80mph, it can still accelerate a bit as well when I need to let someone past me. When driving on windy minor A or B roads, I like to put the car in Sport mode and it is a very enjoyable experience. My version is the 6 speed manual so I have no idea how the DSG version drives but I believe that Snowdaddy has provided the answers to that.
FR Sport 1.0 Desire Red with Black Roof

Elevenses

Post by Elevenses » Mon May 13, 2019 6:19 pm

Test drove an FR 1.0 (115) TSi and it was not noticeably harsh.

Bought an X-Lux manual for the extra goodies (adjustable FR suspension worthless!) and never looked back.

115 TSi engine a little cracker, almost silent like Electric around town driven gently, but rev it's little knackers off, play with the gears and it's an effective little weapon, given the copious amounts of grip if driven smoothly without upsetting it's balance.

I have taken to driving it hard on occasion now run-in, and it's so sweet to hurl around bends, roundabouts and those brakes never complain either. The outright speed is more than enough for modern speed detection, have owned new 911's/Cayenne Turbo's but always frustrated not being able to use the power.

Economy up to 47-50 on a gentle run up to 75mph, thrashed drops to 40-42 which is fine.

Have considered chipping to 130hp, but haven't, as it's just fine really.

Bonzo

Post by Bonzo » Tue May 14, 2019 7:54 am

I came from a 2.5 litre petrol non turbo car to my 1.0 (115) FR and was really surprised how quick this little 3 cylinder engine performed ( 0-60 in 10 secs)
I went to the dealers to enquire about the 1.5 engine version and was told at the time it would be a long wait and was persuaded by the salesman to test drive the 1.0 litre, I was that impressed after driving it I placed an order, after 6 months of ownership I’m loving this car and would recommend anyone considering it.
Brilliant little all rounder.
FR 115 with DSG

BenC

Post by BenC » Tue May 14, 2019 11:44 am

Much like the above posts, I have found the 1.0L 115 to have more than enough power. My last car was a 1.8L and the 1.0L Arona is noticeably more responsive and also feels a little more powerful (that is also down to the Arona being quite lightweight).

The ride quality is fine on the 18" wheels. I wouldn't say it's overly harsh at all.
2019 (19) Arona Xcellence Lux 1.0L 115PS Petrol DSG - Eclipse Orange with Grey Roof.

MotorMan

Post by MotorMan » Thu May 16, 2019 11:11 am

Thanks to you all for your responses which I appreciate.

I managed to track down an FR and had an hour-long test drive in it yesterday. The dealer set the suspension to the softest setting, (Normal), before I took it out and he reckoned this setting is still harder than the standard suspension. I found the ride slightly harsher than my current Audi A1 but the 1.0 engine is certainly a little cracker - nearly as quick as the A1 with the 1.4TFSI engine but not quite so smooth. The Arona cabin is not up to Audi standards but still very acceptable. However, the overall impression was so positive that as a result we've just placed an order for an Xcellence version! Roll on August for possible delivery.

Return to “Main Seat Arona chat”