Spare wheel question!

All Seat Arona related discussions
LynnSM

Spare wheel question!

Post by LynnSM » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Hi
The tyres on my Arona Xcellence Lux are 215/45 R18 but the factory fitted spare wheel is 205/55 R16. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between these 2 tyres & will the spare actually fit my car if I get a puncture? I am confused😄

43290332-17BD-4C0D-9813-3595695D0D0F.jpeg

E75A48A3-EFB5-42E5-AAEE-F0863351DA37.jpeg

Arona Desire Red/Midnight Black roof 1ltr TSI 115PS Xcellence lux DSG.

Mike666

Re: Spare wheel question!

Post by Mike666 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:55 pm

Hi. I'm no expert on the subject but a quick online search shows that there's not that much difference between the overall diameter of the original alloys and the spare. The spare is only a 16inch wheel but the tyre wall is broader to take up the difference. The spare is about 18 mm smaller diameter than the alloy. See sites such as Willtheyfit.com or
Tyresize.com. I also have the factor fitted spare same size as yours. Not had to use it yet though thankfully. Hope this helps. Mike
Arona FR Sport 1.5 TSI evo 150 PS, manual , Desire Red, Midnight Black roof

Snowdaddy

Re: Spare wheel question!

Post by Snowdaddy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:12 am

It will fit and diameter is virtually same.
It is of course only for temporary use until normal tyre is fixed, but unlike a space saver can be used for extended temporary period.

In some countries Arona are fitted with 16 inch rims and tyres with deeper sidewalls as standard. Seems to be a British thing to fit bigger rims and lower profile summer tyres. It’s image over function, apparently look better, but the downside is less suitable for poor or potholed road surfaces, and less comfortable ride, and the 215/45 R18 tyres cost lot more to replace.

Trustworthy motoring sites like Honest John always suggesting need at least 55 or 60 profile for comfort, and potholed roads, and bonkers to fit summer tyres year round in UK, when all seasons are more suitable

Just to complete the daftness of this, you will find that tyres are such a rare size that will almost certainly have to wait for replacements, and there is only one good all season (Vredestein Quatrac 5) made in this size.
Arona Xcelence Lux 115 tsi DSG monsoon grey with orange roof, leather and alcantara interior. Also have a Skoda Roomster.

Return to “Main Seat Arona chat”